Tatyana

Christian rock/ Alternative

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any good Christian rock? I know of Barlow girl, I love flyleaf (my fav) but tired of the songs same with P.O.D. 

When I do a hard workout I like to listen to alternative rock/metal ie metallica, tool, evenescence, nirvana etc and others mentioned above...but I recently discovered that I cant listen to one of my fav bands anymore...tool :(

I know their music is dark its part of life not everything is cookies n cream. Sometimes I like to sing along with angry songs like that and yell profanities in my car to let out some steam.\, Or get me pumped for a tough workout.

...You can judge me all you want but just because I love Jesus does not mean I have to be like the bradys...

but anyway as soon as I hear a song that's negative against Jesus thats it for me...why Maynard whyyyyyyy?!!! this is definitely a struggle I have one piece of me that tells me I should listen to their other songs anyway and just avoid that song, but homie dont play that, once you diss my Jesus Im done with you.

Now dont sit there preachin and tellin me the other bands are bad too please that'll be too overwhelming :( 

Anyway enough about that if you know of any good christian rock bands please post them here :)

and who are your favorite bands in general?

also Im curious about what you do to let out some steam? go for a run? yell and scream? meditate?...everyone gets angry if you dont then your life has not been a struggle...not to offend anyone.

1 person likes this

First off a good way to let off steam IS to listen and sing to some loud rock music. And yes there is some real meaningful music that is not negative, that is some serious rock.

I have a few artist to suggest.

Skillet... (some songs),- "Hero", "Awake and Alive", "The last Night", and "The older I Get" are one's I like.

Fireflight- "To those Who Wait", "What i've overcome", "Unbreakable".

Kutless- "Shut Me Out", "Strong tower", "To know that you're alive", "Treason", "Somewhere in The Sky".

The Letter Black- "Hangning on by a thread".

Red- "Breathe into Me".

If I think of more i'll let you know!! :)

2 people like this

Uhm there are a lot of bands like how hard do you listen like bands I can understand a 100% of the time that are a little more on rock side are like the red jump suit apparatus, children 18:3, close your eyes, relient k is kinda alternative more punk, I would reccomend you look up the radio station called Radiou and see if you have a station near you they play a lot. I have a question like how hard do you listen? I mean I'm kinda like you I listen to heavier stuff but I listen to everything.

May I say first I agree, I did really like Slayer when I was younger, but then songs like "God hates us all" is just blasphemous.

If you really like "hard rock" "metal" for working out energy type music that's Christian.

Check out these bands;

August Burns Red, Meridian is a good song.

War of Ages

Since October

For stuff that's a little more "alternative" less "metal" check out ...

Silverstein

Switchfoot

Ever Stays Red

There's tons of great music out there that glorifies God.

Also there's this station I don't know where you live but "The Effect" radio network broadcast all over the country, as well as online look them up.

1 person likes this

In texas there is a radio station called Power Fm that plays nothing but christian rock. They have an online station and a list of the songs they play if you want to check that out.

I think Skillet are pretty cool! And Matt Maher has some really beautiful songs:

xxx

1 person likes this

Wow Kendra thanks I cant believe Ive never hear of most of those bands time to update my Ipod :)

Dasboy when you say how hard do I listen Im assuming you mean bands like matchbox 20- being light vs Slipknot-being hard? Well I dont think I listen that hard (slipknot is a bit much for me) but isnt metallica considered hard/heavy metal I like disturbed too and many others.  I dont really like constant screaming where I cant understand what they are saying.  Mostly I listen for good vocals and rhythm like a great guitar solo or drummer. Thats one of the things I liked about Tool, Schism was my favorite song by them mostly because of the cool technical sound and the rhythm.  I will look into Radiou thanks :)

Thanks rookiepilot and loyal hero I will look into those once I get home :)

lookingfortheone thats fine no worries see ya around :)

and thanks jegsyscarr :)

1 person likes this

I think you may like demon hunter if you like bands like disturbed. At least I think so been a while since I heard disturbed.

2 people like this

Dasboy youre right they totally remind me of disturbed thanks :)

Thanks justin I love the rhthym :)...Kinda reminds me of spin doctors in a way

keep them coming if you guys can think of anymore let me know thanks again.

Might as well make my first post about something I'm really into.

As far as good Christian Rock, I'd recommend the following (some of these were already said. I'm just adding them to give them another upvote as good bands):

(Metal/Hard Rock)

• Demon Hunter (They tend to swing a lot from screaming style metal to very symphonic/melodic metal.)
  • Red (Their album "Until We Have Faces" really brings them over to the Hard Rock category)
  • The Showdown (I don't listen to them heavily, but you might find them interesting.)

(Rock/Alternative)

• Thousand Foot Krutch (By far, one of the best bands in Christian Rock in my opinion. Trevor McNevan tends to spawn so many great side projects and acts.)
  • Skillet (Great band. I sorta feel like their earlier work is great, but they've come a long way in their later stuff. This is a band that I could leave the CD on repeat in the car and drive without thinking to skip a song or swtich CDs.)
  • Pillar (Could probably consider them as "Hard Rock" with some of their songs, but they have a rock style similar to P.O.D.)
  • 12 Stones (Much like Flyleaf, they're not really a "Christian" band, but they tend to tour a lot with Christian acts. Still a great band. You probably already know them since the lead singer sings the male vocal solo in "Bring Me To Life" by Evenescence.)
  • Newsboys (I've only listened to their later work. Also a great rock band)
  • Seven Day Slumbers (They tend to have a lot of inspirational songs, as well as some strong rock songs.)
  • Kutless (I usually can't listen to a Kutless song at the gym since they don't have too many heavy songs, but they're very inspirational. I really like to listen to them before I fall asleep.)
  • The Afters (One of my new favs. Very inspirational.)
  • Anberline (Great alternative band. Once again, not usually labeled as "Christian", but they tend to get lumped into the mix.)
  • Emery (Another great alternative.)
  • FM Static (A Treavor McNevan side project. More Pop/Rock, but the songs are so catchy. This is usually a guilty pleaure.)
  • Search the City - (Good Pop-Punk
  • Blindside (One of the first bands I listened to and got me into Christian music. They'er more screaming punk, but they've made a few appearences in sports game soundtracks.)
  • Underoath (Popular among the non-Christian markets as well.)

Let me know if you need song suggestions for any of these. I didn't want to add to the already long post I just made.

Also, I know this is a bit out of the scope of "Christian Rock", but my favorite artist would be Manafest. He's more predomanently a rapper, but he does a lot of Rap/Rock that makes him sound a lot more like rock than rap. I've been getting very into Christian Rap which has helped to keep things fresh.

I also listen to a lot of CCM (bands like Jason Gray, Mark Schultz, MercyMe, Jamie Grace, etc), but that might be a bit off topic.

2 people like this

Jesusfreakhideout.com is a great site to view album reviews and news on most christian bands, but they seem to be more rock/alternative oriented.

@rah38 allready compiled a whole list for you (he basically listed my Ipod list, so sadly I can't add much :( )I personally am a big fan of

• Abandon (Searchlights, Control) they are extremely underrated imo! Their last album control is just A WHOLE BUNCH of alternative. Every single song seems to be christ-centered, and that is hard to find. Seriously, listen to them. You'll thank me later.
  • I saw Kutless a year ago, they were fenomenal live. If you wanna hear rock, you should only listen to their first few albums. Even though their later ones are also very good, they are worship albums. (They made a great rock cover of It Is Well though).
  • Next month I'm gonna see Skillet! (so excited!)
  • I also saw The Afters and it has been a bit quiet around them lately, but I definitely dig their sound. One of their latest songs (Lift Me Up) is extremely inspirational and the video brought me to tears. Although their latest song 'Won't Give Up' sounds a lot more alternative/rock. (Even if I would listen to that song while walking out of the bus, seriously, that song makes every event, EPIC.)
  • Ivoryline- I don't listen to them much, but I like their sound.
  • Switchfoot- Their lead singer is so poetic, the guy could write a dictionary.
  • If you really wanna go all metal try some Brian Head Welch, some might know him of the band Korn, but he converted to christianity and now plays solely christian hardrock. (Although, I remember seeing him at the FlevoFest over here in Holland and his bass player looked downright possessed, lol)
  • Family Force 5- They have gone a little too mainstream for me. (both musically and lyrically) but their songs are ridiculously fun. their old songs (Never Let Me Go, Luv Addict, Radiator) are awesome though (his screams in those songs are awesome, really gets you pumped) :)
  • Fireflight! I can't listen to them for too long for some reason. But their songs are decent.
  • Royal Tailor, they're new, good. Not really hardrock or anything though.
  • Hawk Nelson. they used to have some pretty neat songs, though their lead singer just left, so I have no idea how their next albums will turn out.
  • DISCIPLE! One of my fav hardrock bands to listen to, check out their song 'Dear X, you don't own me' (I think it won some awards?)
  • HB - I listen to this when Im mad, and wanna show my friends the different styles CCM has to offer. This is probably metal at its finest. (With lyrics like 'When the Jesus Metal Explosion Hits!', ya can't really go wrong there now can ya?) Haven't listened to any of their new stuff though.
  • Sanctus Real

Now if you really wanna be oldschool:

• Petra
  • Stryper ('To hell with the devil!')

I too was always searching for new CCM stuff to listen too, been too busy to really do my CCM 'hunt', every weekend. I've kind of had the same struggle like you with non-christian bands, luckily, there is plenty of good CCM out there! In nearly every genre!

Tobymac has some rock songs as well, he (DCTalk as well) kind of does every genre. I really like his song 'Hey Devil' (It doesn't sound christian, but it actually is a really good song :).

1 person likes this

Might as well make my first post about something I'm really into.

As far as good Christian Rock, I'd recommend the following (some of these were already said. I'm just adding them to give them another upvote as good bands):

(Metal/Hard Rock)

• Demon Hunter (They tend to swing a lot from screaming style metal to very symphonic/melodic metal.)
  • Red (Their album "Until We Have Faces" really brings them over to the Hard Rock category)
  • The Showdown (I don't listen to them heavily, but you might find them interesting.)

(Rock/Alternative)

• Thousand Foot Krutch (By far, one of the best bands in Christian Rock in my opinion. Trevor McNevan tends to spawn so many great side projects and acts.)
  • Skillet (Great band. I sorta feel like their earlier work is great, but they've come a long way in their later stuff. This is a band that I could leave the CD on repeat in the car and drive without thinking to skip a song or swtich CDs.)
  • Pillar (Could probably consider them as "Hard Rock" with some of their songs, but they have a rock style similar to P.O.D.)
  • 12 Stones (Much like Flyleaf, they're not really a "Christian" band, but they tend to tour a lot with Christian acts. Still a great band. You probably already know them since the lead singer sings the male vocal solo in "Bring Me To Life" by Evenescence.)
  • Newsboys (I've only listened to their later work. Also a great rock band)
  • Seven Day Slumbers (They tend to have a lot of inspirational songs, as well as some strong rock songs.)
  • Kutless (I usually can't listen to a Kutless song at the gym since they don't have too many heavy songs, but they're very inspirational. I really like to listen to them before I fall asleep.)
  • The Afters (One of my new favs. Very inspirational.)
  • Anberline (Great alternative band. Once again, not usually labeled as "Christian", but they tend to get lumped into the mix.)
  • Emery (Another great alternative.)
  • FM Static (A Treavor McNevan side project. More Pop/Rock, but the songs are so catchy. This is usually a guilty pleaure.)
  • Search the City - (Good Pop-Punk
  • Blindside (One of the first bands I listened to and got me into Christian music. They'er more screaming punk, but they've made a few appearences in sports game soundtracks.)
  • Underoath (Popular among the non-Christian markets as well.)

Let me know if you need song suggestions for any of these. I didn't want to add to the already long post I just made.

Also, I know this is a bit out of the scope of "Christian Rock", but my favorite artist would be Manafest. He's more predomanently a rapper, but he does a lot of Rap/Rock that makes him sound a lot more like rock than rap. I've been getting very into Christian Rap which has helped to keep things fresh.

I also listen to a lot of CCM (bands like Jason Gray, Mark Schultz, MercyMe, Jamie Grace, etc), but that might be a bit off topic.

ooooooohhh thanks :) I cannot believe Ive missed all of these, and youre right Ive bumped into some amazing christian rap songs they were pretty dope

and christian soul...looks like I will have to rearrange my ipod.

@ZaireKrieger I have to do a hunt too lol I will definitely checkout jesusfreakhideout.com

I honestly never knew there was that much good christian music out there man! Ive been missing out, thanks ya'll :)

There are some great Christian Rock bands some of my fav ones are Hillsong,Tenth Avenue North, Elevation Worship, Mercy Me, Casting Crowns etc

1 person likes this