Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sophie

Dealing with the pressures of university exams

10 posts in this topic

Any advice as to how to handle exams? This is my second year in university, but in my first year only two classes gave exams: German and English Literature. And I was way ahead of the rest of my class in German so I never even had to study to get an A+, and English Literature isn't a complicating subject. But this term I have German, Phonology, Introduction to Romance Linguistics, and Language & Mind: The Chomskyan Program. I think I feel myself going slightly insane. And I'll have this again for my finals.

Any tips?

Cram, then cram some more. Then get a good night's sleep. Then don't cram before class, it'll only drag you down. 

Honestly, I would study/cram in the days before ^_^! Harder if you have more than one exam on a particular day. Hopefully, you have guidelines for what you need to know for the exam (my professors usually let us know) and you can read over your notes until you feel it is safely stored inside your head :)! Take breaks every once in a while as you study. Also, remind yourself that one day you will look back and all your exams will be done and you will give a huge sigh of relief :).

Also, remind yourself that one day you will look back and all your exams will be done and you will give a huge sigh of relief :).

Until I get my marks back! lol.

1 person likes this

I've got two exams in the morning. I'm in engineering and have five classes again this semester, so I feel your pain! I echo Kailey and Mirage. Study early on and try to avoid all-nighters. If an all-nighter is unavoidable, what helped me was drinking ice-cold water throughout the night (and maybe open a window if it's cold outside). The cold and need to pee helps keep you awake and alert :D ) Also, leading up to exams, I like to set aside at least a day per exam to really focus on one class at a time. We usually have the weekend plus a couple weekdays between when classes end and final exams start. Is it similar where you study?

1 person likes this

Until I get my marks back! lol.

Hopefully you'll do fine, stay positive!

@matthew-Gosh, that sounds pretty tough, never heard of that, but I bet it's healthier than drinking those energy shots/drinks.

The sleep after your exams are over is always sweet oblivion too :)!

I tend to wait till the last 2 or 3 days before the exam, and then start cramming (that's a word, right?). That's always worked for me, but it tend to be kind of stressful, especially when I'm learning quotes and things the night before...So...maybe learn the quotes earlier, and just look over notes and whatnot in the days before.

xxx

Its simple - cheat.

Just kidding. I'm not in university yet but I'm taking 2 university classes. I learned that the more freaked out you are about it, the less likely you'll soend time on studying ad actually being able to retrieve the info from your brain. Try a few different ways of studying, try your haardest, an if you don't gt the best marks that's ok - because marks do not define who you are or how intelligent you are, the main thing is that you put in the best effort you could by improving your habits, attitude (not hat you have a bad one lol but yu get what I mean) hope this helped and good lcuk! You seem very smart and a language kinda girl so I have faith in you. Also we are our own worst critics! You got this, you just don't know it yet :) don't get lazy!

1 person likes this

Hahah thats easy money!!!! Try working a full time job and every week you hit overtime(40+ plus hrs), and on top of that you still are taking full time classes. Those being acct 2 and 3 at the same time plus a mangerial human resources class and an art class. Thats stress. But to answer your question I usually put the big priority classes first in terms of studying and the easier ones last.

I try to prioritize which classes are more important, but sometimes you can't really do that. I'm in a position where that doesn't work now, but it did in undergrad. I do yoga and that helps me calm down a lot. Also, I set a timer when I study and stay on one subject for a set amount of time. That helps me feel refreshed always changing it up and I don't get so bored looking at the same thing all the time. Sometimes before I change to the next subject, I'll pull out my yoga mat and do a few quick poses just so I'm out of my desk chair. If I stay at my desk too long, I get really antsy.