loyalhero90

Joint or Separate bank accounts

29 posts in this topic

Separate. It's my money that I earned and have every right to spend. She has her money that she earned and has every right to spend. If we need to purchase something together than we split it 50 50. I don't want to become complacent. I can't rely on anyone. I need to be totally financially independent and she needs to as well. So if we have separate accounts we will have to be financially independent. Also if we divorce or one of us dies the other person won't be screwed. He or she will still be making enough to go on. 

I say just share the money. No need to go out of my way and connect our accounts. I have mine she has hers. We'll transfer, save, and spend together all from two separate accounts.

1 person likes this

I just can't figure out how 2 people can be intimate, joining their bodies and lives together, but oh noes....joining money/accounts is off limits.

I agree each should have some of their own money they can do whatever they want and not have to "ask permission".

I think it was Dave Ramsey who talked about having "blow" money in the budget. So every month when the budget is made, each person gets X amount to spend however they wish and neither needs to confer with the other. I'd be okay with that.

If you don't trust your spouse, then why on earth did you marry him/her? S/he is suppose to be your best friend and team mate. Not the enemy. But I am single, so I don't really have a clue what I am talking about. :)

3 people like this

Joint. My belief is that once you get married, your assets are now shared. Bank accounts definitely fall into that category. This is one reason why it's really important to marry someone that's financially smart; from what I'm told money can be one of the biggest sources of stress in a marriage.

Rolled up marijuana ;)

I'm in tears right now lol!

1 person likes this