mustachetron

Why do girls act so shy?

37 posts in this topic

Seriously, what's wrong with you all?!?!?!?! haha, but honestly why are some of the nice girls so shy?  Not looking for 7 paragraph answers, just simple explanations.  I also want to know what goes on in girls' heads when they're acting shy around guys.

Cuz we ARE. lol. Well I certainly am. I don't fake shyness; it's all natural! :P

Some girls act shy because they are worried that guys will get the wrong impression of them and think they are sexually available. Other girls act shy so no other girl will see them as a potential threat (i.e. a boyfriend seducer.)

5 people like this

thats a good thing if a girl is shy it means YOU make her nervous which means she likes you...Im not really a shy person in general but when I really like a guy I become all girly and giggly and bashful which I dont like ugh! I like it better when Im more confident and flirty.

5 people like this

Well, I am a naturally shy girl, always have been, it takes me a while to open up to anyone, especially guys. It is just part of someones personality, not really any big secret behind it ;). Now, when I am around a guy I like, I am even more shy and nervous. So, I would say if a girl is acting shy around you, there is a good chance she likes you. I think we feel just as much pressure to make a good impression on you guys and it's nerve wracking :).

2 people like this

But seriously, it can be a lot of things. I can only really speak for myself. It's always been a mix of insecurities and a fear of putting myself out there and being rejected. Growing up and being teased had a part in it but I've been shy since before I was in school. It's part of my personalty and something that I am working on and have been working on for a while. I gain some ground but I need people to be patient with me until then. Try to not give up on a shy girl, she may just need time to warm up to you.

But at the same time if she isn't trying you moving on may be the best thing. She needs to be willing to work on herself. Of course, I'm talking about extreme shyness like I was. There is nothing wrong with a little bit of shyness. :)

5 people like this

As the others have stated, a lot of times, it is not that we are acting shy, but that we actually are shy.

I am a very talkative person once I feel comfortable with someone, but until then, I feel very timid about saying anything, particularly if I am in a large group of strangers. As an introvert, I hate small talk, so I do much better talking to one person at a time about things I actually care about, and it is hard to generate such deep conversation appropriately with someone you do not know very well. When I do make a connection with someone, then I overcome my shyness in leaps and bounds, much to the point that I am sure they miss the days when I was still quiet.

But all of that shyness comes flying back when confronted with the possibility that romance could be developing with a man I am friends with. He might have been the easiest person to talk to when I simply saw him in a platonic light, but once the hope arises that he could perhaps be more than a friend, I fall apart. I pray that he'll come over, but the second he does, I panic and try to think of ways to escape. I get tongue-tied. I blush. I stammer. I forget half of my vocabulary and rely far too heavily on the word "um." I cannot think of a single topic worth discussing. I giggle when nothing is funny. I make jokes that have no humor. I worry about how I am looking, the distance I am standing, whether it is weird how much eye contact I am making, and whether I am smiling too much or too little. I panic about whether he thinks that I am being too forward, or whether I am not being obvious enough. In short, I become very boring to talk to, and I leave the poor man wondering what he ever saw in me in the first place.

I cannot speak for other girls, but for me, the shyness is not an act! I wish it were, so I could turn it off! :D

Don't give up on a shy girl. Be patient. More often than not, the shyness will wear off the more she sees that you like her for who she is, and that you are not going to walk away the moment she starts to trust you.

7 people like this

Well, I'm naturally very shy around people I don't know well (and not at all shy when I'm with friends). But I tend to be even shyer (is that a word? 'More shy'?) around guys I don't know. I think it's because I used to get made fun of by a lot of the guys in my high school, and pretty much ignored by all the rest of them, so... Yeah, for me, it's a confidence thing. Not very confident.

xxx

3 people like this

Honestly, I am naturally shy! :) I can't help it, wish I could but that's the way I am around a guy that I like.

I don't "act" shy, I am shy lol. Trust me, if it were a choice I wouldn't choose it! I've missed out on great guys and great opportunities because of my shyness.

1 person likes this

I don't know why a girl will actually fake being shy. I think that's really weird. Maybe she wants to come off as mysterious.

Personally, I am naturally shy. I am very hesitant in social interactions probably due to low confidence and social anxiety.

With some girls it might have to do with their past, too....maybe guys mistreated them or were mean when they were growing up, so they are not sure what to expect from a guy.

1 person likes this

As a shy person, here is my viewpoint: It's in my nature to be shy, always have been! Another thing, just because a girl acts shy or blushes around a guy does NOT mean she likes him or even thinks he is cute. It is a combination of the various social factors surrounding the situation which contribute to the girl's expression of herself.

As for what we are thinking when we are shy: Well, I am sometimes shy because I get hit on a lot and I honestly get so tired of it so I shut down around some guys I don't know, to avoid saying no' (not that I think every guy is gonna hit on me)....I know, I know ...But anyway: So it could be her just 'shutting down' so to speak. Another thing is that they are simply a new person and we are not comfortable with them yet!

1 person likes this

I'm secretly shy but I act like I'm not. I ditched my shyness because it never really got me anywhere in the past. *shrugs*

If I really like a guy or vice versa, I seem very shy. It's because I have no clue what's going through their head and I don't want to say something stupid, so I don't really talk.

I'm also shy around people I don't know. It takes me a while to warm up to them. I like to observe the person to see if it's alright for me to come out of my shell I guess.

2 people like this

I'm secretly shy but I act like I'm not. I ditched my shyness because it never really got me anywhere in the past. *shrugs*

HOW?! How do you do that?! I've been trying to ditch mine but it hangs on like a fungus. :P lol

HOW?! How do you do that?! I've been trying to ditch mine but it hangs on like a fungus. :P lol

I'm doing the whole "fake it till you make it" thing lol

I wasn't really gaining anything from being shy in social situations. In fact I felt like the confident, outgoing people were accomplishing so much more than me and I was like, "I'm totally shortchanging myself. I could do and be so much more in life if I took more chances!".

I was afraid of being humiliated or hurt so I didn't take many chances. And you really can't achieve much in life without taking chances and believing in yourself.

My shyness definitely made me miss out on a lot of good opportunities and experiences that could have turned into something truly transforming and amazing.

So yeah just fake it till you make it lol You might feel uncomfortable at first but it'll start to feel pretty refreshing. :)

4 people like this

I'm doing the whole "fake it till you make it" thing lol

I wasn't really gaining anything from being shy in social situations. In fact I felt like the confident, outgoing people were accomplishing so much more than me and I was like, "I'm totally shortchanging myself. I could do and be so much more in life if I took more chances!".

I was afraid of being humiliated or hurt so I didn't take many chances. And you really can't achieve much in life without taking chances and believing in yourself.

My shyness definitely made me miss out on a lot of good opportunities and experiences that could have turned into something truly transforming and amazing.

So yeah just fake it till you make it lol You might feel uncomfortable at first but it'll start to feel pretty refreshing. :)

That is really good advice because I am actually figuring that out in my own life and it is helping profoundly. I am making such changes and expressing myself more easily. Others have even commented on the change and people seem to like me more because they used to perceive me as being stuck up and now they realize how shy I was and see my efforts in growing. I thought you meant that you just one day decided you weren't shy and you just stopped being shy. That seems impossible for me. It is such a slow process for me. 

1 person likes this

Hoo, boy, I could use the answer to this right now. Girl I've been crushing on for the past year (the only girl I've ever been really interested in in my entire high school career) is unbelievably shy...more than anyone I've ever met. She's fine and confident with her friends but isn't willing to branch out and meet new people. Odd thing is, she'll speak to one of my friends, who, I'd admit, isn't attractive...he's very overweight and so pale he almost looks sickly. My mom told me its because he's "safe" and not a "sexual threat."

I don't know. Its a conundrum. 

As others have said it's not always an act. I tend to be shy around people unless I've known them forever it's extremely rare that I will open up to a person right away  that takes a special quality.

For some behaving in a shy manner could be their way of telling guys they are not interested or that the guy is coming on too strong with out actually saying " Back off ,buddy!"

Shyness is something we have all delt with, or are dealing with! Especially in social situations; meeting new people, at parties.....OR when that guy/girl FINALLY speaks to you that you've been waiting for!! Lol! I used to be just like that.....what helped me....believe it or not, where the chat/friend/dateing sites (at the suggestion of a VERY great friend)....I learned how to communicate with the opposites sex! Who knew! :-D All though be it a bit late in life! 42 then....So, I started applying what I learned in the "real world" ;-) Now don't get me wrong....I still have those moments of akwardness....but I get better at each interaction....

*To the girls.....just a tip.....don't play the shy game if your not interested in the guy, it can be perceived as you like him when you don't.....Its best just to be upfront (in a nice way) that your not...Saves you from continual persuit & him embarresment.

So in saying that....shyness is something that can be over came! It just may take a little longer for some than others!!! Case in point.....ME!!! Lol!!

3 people like this

Probably the reason why I act so shy is because of my autism, but on the internet, I'm completely outgoing, like, how I behave is not at all how I behave on the internet. For one thing, I'm a lot less eloquent. 

Hoo, boy, I could use the answer to this right now. Girl I've been crushing on for the past year (the only girl I've ever been really interested in in my entire high school career) is unbelievably shy...more than anyone I've ever met. She's fine and confident with her friends but isn't willing to branch out and meet new people. Odd thing is, she'll speak to one of my friends, who, I'd admit, isn't attractive...he's very overweight and so pale he almost looks sickly. My mom told me its because he's "safe" and not a "sexual threat."

I don't know. Its a conundrum.

This is how I am except more extreme. I am shy anyone that I don't know well including guys that I don't find very attractive. However, I'm most shy around guys I do like and are attracted to (no eye contact, very awkward and nervous body language, if he talks to me I'll give him very short answers, I might even avoid him if I'm not feeling very confident). That girl likes you. This is textbook shy girl that likes you behavior ^_^ .

Shyness is something we have all delt with, or are dealing with! Especially in social situations; meeting new people, at parties.....OR when that guy/girl FINALLY speaks to you that you've been waiting for!! Lol! I used to be just like that.....what helped me....believe it or not, where the chat/friend/dateing sites (at the suggestion of a VERY great friend)....I learned how to communicate with the opposites sex! Who knew! :-D All though be it a bit late in life! 42 then....So, I started applying what I learned in the "real world" ;-) Now don't get me wrong....I still have those moments of akwardness....but I get better at each interaction....

*To the girls.....just a tip.....don't play the shy game if your not interested in the guy, it can be perceived as you like him when you don't.....Its best just to be upfront (in a nice way) that your not...Saves you from continual persuit & him embarresment.

So in saying that....shyness is something that can be over came! It just may take a little longer for some than others!!! Case in point.....ME!!! Lol!

That's interesting. I don't play the shy "game", but I am shy naturally around most people not just guys I like. I think you're right about this though because when I am shy around guys I don't like they act very strange, like they think I like them. I've had a guy just blurt out to me something about his girlfriend randomly. I think he thought I liked him just because of my shy and awkward behavior. I definitely wasn't flirting with him and I barely made any eye contact with him but I didn't like him and was in no way attracted to him. Its sooo annoying. The guys that I don't like think I like them and the guys I do like can't tell that I do.

3 people like this

That's interesting. I don't play the shy "game", but I am shy naturally around most people not just guys I like. I think you're right about this though because when I am shy around guys I don't like they act very strange, like they think I like them. I've had a guy just blurt out to me something about his girlfriend randomly. I think he thought I liked him just because of my shy and awkward behavior because I definitely wasn't flirting with him and I barely made any eye contact with him but I didn't like him and was in no way attracted to him. Its sooo annoying. The guys that I don't like think I like them and the guys I do like can't tell that I do.

:o I could have written this my self, twin! lol

1 person likes this