WanderingWashingtonian

Single on Valentine's Day

30 posts in this topic

Congratulations to all those members of the community who have a valentine this February. But for those of us who are single, how do you treat Valentine's Day?

Do you celebrate it with friends and family as an expression of love for them? Do you have an anti-Valentine's Day party? Do you stay in, watching romantic movies and crying into a bowl of ice cream? Do you ignore it all together?

Valentines day, I both love it and hate it. I am still single, so... enough said.

4 people like this

To me its just another day except I get to eat those candy hearts I like ;)

other than that not a biggie I was thinking of starting a tradition though where I celebrate the people in my life that truly love me and God but Im not sure how to go about that, Im sure I will figure something fun out.  

Valentines day shouldnt be a sad shameful day for people that are single and bitter because there are many people out there in relationships that are not really happy ...I think it should just be a celebration for people who truly love you not a time to get desperate and find a boyfriend/girlfriend like alot of people are doing now a days SMH. It should be a time to be thankful for the true love that youve already got whether it be your mom, dad, sister, brother, bestfriend whatever who says its just for couples. This year I may just eat the heart shaped cookies with my sister and call it a day lol :P

1 person likes this

another day haha. even if i had a significant other i wouldnt celebrate it. everyday is a day of love, not just feb 14!

1 person likes this

Well...as a Catholic I think about Saint Valentine, who is the patron saint of love and happy marriages among other things♥I have always gotten something special for the people I love, however.

1 person likes this

Pretty much just like any other day. Except my parents will get me a card, chocolates, and a little stuffed animal e.g. a cute little teddy bear.

...Yeah, the only Valentine's day cards I get are from my parents. And once or twice from this one guy, who said he sent them "for a laugh", and only admitted to sending them years afterwards...

xxx

Well I'm not single but I've always seen it as a day to show love no matter who the person is.

2 people like this

I usually try to ignore it and if I do anything I will try to treat myself or my friends. There is a part of me who hopes for a romantic gesture from a guy or to finally have a valentine but it hasn't happened yet and I really must learn to appreciate my singlehood.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine's day whether you have a Valentine or not and whether its just another day or your favorite day! :)

4 people like this

I try to ignore it and distract myself with other things, otherwise it's a downward spiral. I am a romantic at heart and In the future, I will totally own this day. Hopefully my husband won't be the type of man to be intimidated by this. :)

1 person likes this

Just another day on the calendar. If you are in love with someone your love should transcend a specific day on the calendar. However, the lore behind St. Valentine though interesting, should not be a reason to focus exceptional emotion. Celebrate each day whether single or in a committed relationship.

If it makes you all feel better, I have a midterm that night LOL.

I just ignore it. Sometimes I don't even remember what day in February it is. Never even heard of an anti-Valentine's day before! How does one celebrate that?

Dasboy: agree 100%! If I'm single, I'll recognize family and friends who mean a lot to me <3

NicoleNova: I love doing something with friends too. Just because you don't have a S/O doesn't mean you can't have fun! :D

2 people like this

Mark, people celebrate anti-Valentine's Day in a variety of ways. Some hate on it because they are bitter for being single and at others for having someone, which I find to be immature and petty. It does say a lot about a person if they have a problem with other people's happiness. Other people are anti-Valentine's Day because they believe it's overly-commercialized and therefore it cheapens love by reducing it to buying stuff for your SO. I personally don't buy that POV because that is the nature of business. They profit because other people are willing to buy their stuff. To me, the day is what you make of it, not what companies decide to do. My personal gripe with Valentine's Day is not the day itself  but more of how many couples conduct themselves. So many couples put undue stress on themselves to make it the perfect day that they forget to relax and enjoy the day. It is the busiest day of the year for restaurants and stressing over reservations at a place that is likely to be super crowded and super noisy just doesn't sound romantic to me. I'd rather just stay at home and cook a meal and enjoy each other's company while it's peaceful with music in the background.

While I do feel a slight sense of longing for that special someone on that day, I pretty much treat it as any other day.

4 people like this

Amen Vince :)

Well I treat it as a plain normal day. I believe every day can be V-day if you have someone special in your life.

2 people like this

I hate to admit it, especially in light envincebal's reasoned and mature castigation of Valentine's Day cynics, but I really do transform into an irredeemable Grinch on Valentine's Day.

grinch.gif

I really can't help myself, though.

The girls and the boys with their candies and trinkets

their "I love you" sweetlies and gazoonga gafinkets

if I had a lockbox inconceivably tall

I'd lock away Valentine's Day!

Once, and for all!

3 people like this

I personally love valentines day, regardless on wether or not I'm with someone on valentines day, I still like to see other people happy on valentines day :DD

1 person likes this

Come to think of it, I've never actually had a "valentine". But considering my birthday is a couple days after, my birthday celebrations have always overshadowed that particular nearby holiday. :lol: Lucky me!

@ Vince - Yeah, everything you said is very true. Especially about putting pressure on your bf or gf because you feel you need to act a certain way. Silliness. If people make too much out of that One Day that defeats the purpose of the holiday, which in my opinion is supposed to celebrate the love two people have for each other every day throughout the year. The same way Christmas celebrates Jesus, but he's still around all the other 364 days too.

@ Gene you said it really well. If you have someone special in your life then every day can feel like valentine's day. :)

1 person likes this

If you don't have a valentine, it's best to ignore Valentine's Day. Which is exactly what I do, since I (alas) have no valentine.

1 person likes this

I think valentines day is more than amor love so I usually share it with my family. Generally me and my mom exchange gifts.

3 people like this

Congratulations to all those members of the community who have a valentine this February. But for those of us who are single, how do you treat Valentine's Day?

Do you celebrate it with friends and family as an expression of love for them? Do you have an anti-Valentine's Day party? Do you stay in, watching romantic movies and crying into a bowl of ice cream? Do you ignore it all together?

As soon as New Year's celebrations are over I get that slight sense of dread that Valentine's Day is coming up. I dread it every year and every year it's a bigger reminder that I'm still single. From all the couples in the streets holding hands while I'm always walking alone, my ex-housemates at uni making big plans while I had to just stay in my room because they were using the rest of the house for their activities and now being at work where everyone's always in a relationship and always talking about their relationships, partners, activities/holidays they have planned with their partners, I know I'm definitely gunna hear loads about their Valentine's Day plans which makes it impossible to forget. And it's always on calendars (like the paper ones and on my phone and it won't let me delete it). Llike anyone can ever really forget the date, I don't celebrate it yet I never forget.

My mum used to get me little gifts when I was little but stopped around 18. I wouldn't want her to get me anything now though, as she stopped I'd feel she's doing it because she feels sorry for me.

But when I think of Valentine's Day I always think of cupid and that makes it more of a romantic thing to me. I don't feel it is a family thing, that's Christmas or Thanksgiving. Last year I got texts from 2 of my (girl) friends but I thought it was really weird lol. Not in a homophobic way, I'm far from homophobic but because of the way I view it as a romantic occasion, it felt weird that my friend would say Happy Valentine's Day and of course I wasn't happy lol.

I treat it as a regular day...I don't get lonely, sad, or anything else on Valentine's Day, and I haven't had a Valentine YET.  I'm happy for those who do have someone to share it with.  My time will come, no worries.  :)

2 people like this

I like Valentine's Day a lot but admit it can get lonely while single, especially considering its origins as Lupercalia, a festival of fertility and marriage...That's why this year I choose to celebrate two other "holidays" in its stead.  One is the Day of Purity and the other's V-day.  Both are pretty great causes and worth joining in on! :D Here are links to more info: http://www.lc.org/dayofpurity/   http://www.onebillionrising.org/page/event/search_simple?source=BSDAds_GoogleSearch_V-Day%202013-%20Search-%20V-Day_V-Day_v%20day_Broad_24490833303&gclid=CKmEgIjKs7UCFcc-MgodR30ADQ