Sophie

What do you think about your country?

25 posts in this topic

I absolutely love Canada. Our current government? No, thanks to what they're doing to the environment. But otherwise, I love Canada. I love that we're the second largest country in the world, I love that gays can marry everywhere, I love our publicly funded healthcare, I love our beautiful mountains, oceans, and lakes (don't ruin them, Stephen Harper!!!!!), I love how multi-cultural we are, I love our Provinces and Territories, and how different they are from each other...I'm going to stop the list here cuz I could go on for a while, I think. Main point is: I love Canada. lol.

Canada-Flag.png

Do I think it's the BEST country in the world? No. But I think it's top 10 without a doubt.

Helloee, yep another vote for ones own country which is cool. I adore Great Britain love the countryside ,coasts,people but oddly I also like the current government who are doing a good job of keeping us out of recession. Same as above love the multi culture and yes a biggie our public funded health care.

We are also so strong as a country considering the size of us, we do not get bullied by others and stand up for our beliefs. Fantastic

That said I say we are in the top 10 yes but have to agree with Canada being there too.

Now here I wanted a picture of a Union Jack but it will not paste aaaaaah.

1 person likes this

I love my country, I love its history. I like Canada because it's part of the commonwealth.

I am becoming less and less of a fan of my country every day. The US governement focuses on stupid issues, the governement is run by a two party system which does not work, conservative ass backwards republicans run the government for the most part and do all they can to stop any real progress. Then rednecks make a stereotype for the rest of the country, I'm like my country in the east coast and west coast but I do not like it in the middle areas.

Mstr Josh, be careful what you say about republicans. The liberal democrats are destroying this country just as much. And you can thank the middle part of the country for pretty much all the food that you eat. Oh and us middle parts do have some of the best skiing and snowboarding.  And trust me it isn't the only rednecks making a stereotype for the rest of the country. It is one thing to have views of one political party, but it is another to bash the other. I would say that is the main problem of this country is that neither party respects the other and that is why there is no progress, not because one party is stopping the other.I could go on and on about how I believe democrats are ruining this country, but it would just start a fight and we would go nowhere. Plus, I believe it is the government as whole, even though I tend to view with the republican party. As for the original question, I still love my country, no matter what. It is when we start to lose faith in our country and the values that it was founded on that destroys our country faster than anything. Until the day there is no US, I will stand by it and I will fight for it. But, maybe that was my conservative, republican, middle of the country up bringing.

I would say the republicans are destroying the country much more, considering under Reagan, Nixon, and both Bush's the debt tripled and is now blamed on one of the only hopes this country has now. Conservative Republicans and their hey let's cut taxes for the rich and tax the crap out of the middle class and poor! Bill Clinton proved that the democratic system works by creating a stock pile of funds for social security that Bush then used to give tax breaks to the rich. And then republicans want to cut all forms of federal aid? Yeah great then you'll have even more people living on the street, the US already has one of the highest child poverty rate in the world. And then there is the shining example Todd Akin who claims legitamte rape. That just makes the US look great to the world, doesn't it?

This video explains how I feel about Canada. It is the poem "We Are More" from the 2012 Vancouver Winter Olympics. I honestly cried after hearing this for the first time.

I am so incredibly proud of being Canadian. We are, the TRUE NROTH STRONG AND FREE.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=347294167714&set=vb.502192714&type=3&theater

Great video!!!

Reagan was one of the best presidents this country has seen. Nixon, well yeah, he sucked, but that wasn't because he was a Republican, it was because he was involved in Watergate. Bush may have added to the debt, but that was to protect the US from the people who want to hurt us. Obama has more than doubled the debt in the first 4 years of his presidency. As for federal aid, I don't believe in it in it's current context. Is it okay that I work my ass off for my living just so that people on food stamps can go to Starbuck's and afford an Iphone, things I can hardly afford? And just so we don't see someone suffer. FYI, that's not suffering. Plus, there are many not for profits that are doing what they can to help with poverty and feeding. Do I believe there should be federal aid to help people get on their feet, yes, but not to hold them up continuously. People can live their lives on federal aid. Also isn't sad to have those federal aid programs our military suffers. Did you know that many bases had to cut back on the amount of food they serve, to include not serving meals at all. These people put there life on the line and we keep asking them to give. And they do. No matter how much we cut from these people, they continue to give. The US continuously threatens to cut military pay, and yet most military members live below the poverty line. Oh and the democrats have failed to pass a budget for the past few years. But like I said it does no good pointing fingers, like democrats seem to love to do. It's all the republican's fault, they're the ones screwing up the country. I've seen both sides rallies. Republicans: we need to work together to fix this country. Democrats: It's the Republicans fault the country is this way, don't elect them, elect me. But hey, keep pointing those fingers, that seems to work. And there are many more things making this country looking bad than just somebody claiming legitimate rape. Oh and republicans believe in equal taxation, not let's steal from the rich. Also have ever thought that this country is starting to fail because people like you don't believe in this country anymore. I see Canada thriving, even if they have different viewpoints, because many people still believe in their country no matter what direction it takes. They are still willing to scream GO CANADA! Each party has equal responsibility in the way our country is today, but if you seriously what to point fingers I can go on all day.

2 people like this

I agree with with Alex said. I still love my country, but we need to stop the high school politics BS, and reform schools and immigration. Sometimes the entitlement mentality from the laziest and most ignorant people in this country makes me sick. 

1 person likes this

I have mixed feelings about the USA.  The principles upon which our country was founded are among the noblest, most clear-headed and just ever put to paper by any group of legislators.  Our Founding Fathers were like an association of Classical Greek philosophers who were granted the opportunity to make a nation. 

But we are a people in decline, and only a complete partisan with no access to opposing viewpoints could suggest that any single person, entity, or movement is to blame.  We are a culture of busybodies and meddlers, and the same ethic that pushes us to browse the gossip columns is the same that goads us into sacrificing personal liberty and privacy for the promise of world completely free of whatever social ills are unpopular at the moment; that there is no such thing as private business at all. 

3 people like this

Reagan was one of the worst presidents, he cut most programs and began the slippery slope for more debt. Obama has had to create more debt to accomplish things that no one gives him credit for. Republicans treat the country as a buisiness and only care about what can make them more and more money, they're all too rich and too out of touch. I do not believe in my country because I now have no reason to believe for it, until they acknowledge that society is really changing forever, they going to continue to squabble over gay marriage and other issues that won't nessesarly fix the country.

The Democrats cant pass a budget because everything they propose is blocked by republicans. Republicans act like 5 year olds which is now just expected from them and their childish way of politics. And, you make it seem as if the democrats are the only ones playing the blame game in politics. Republicans can blame who ever they want but the second a Democrat says something in blame they're suddenly the bad guy. Bush was a god dammed retard, there was nothing they needed to protect us against, he started a war we didn't need to get involved in, if the US government didn't need to play policeman we never would have gotten involved. There also needs to be federal aid for people, especially the elderly. What are they supposed to do, work until they drop?

The U.S. has its problems, but I still enjoy living here. Personally, I think we need to start funding education more and we need to improve our infrastructure. Other countries are just too much better in those areas. I think we need social program reform, as well. I just don't think we have anyone who knows how to do it. The Republican answer seems to be to just cut it, which I don't think is right. Democrats, meanwhile, don't seem to want to do anyhing about it. We need to aim these programs at encouraging and enabling the poor youth to strive for a better life than their parents have. This is just my layman's analysis.

1 person likes this

Bush wasn't retarded. Plain and simple. Just because Reagan cut programs doesn't make him one of the worst presidents. Reagan did not start the slippery slope to debt. If anything he attempted to stop the slope. It was Carter who started the slippery slope. By saying there was nothing to protect us from and Bush just started a war just because I guess you don't realize the impact 9/11 had on American society. You may not realize this, but there are many people in the middle east that want to hurt us and many groups that train from young ages to hate, hurt, and even kill Americans. They are constantly looking for ways to attack us on our own soil. As for the elderly, yes they need federal aid, but at the same time there's a reason they say save for retirement. Social security is one of the few federal aid programs I agree with. As for rich and out of touch republicans, well so are the democrats. As for Obama adding to the debt, I have not seen any improvement in this country, just a worse off job market, more people on welfare, and higher taxes. I've also seen the military make to many sacrifices. It has gotten to the point where the Pentagon has had to look at Obama and say we can't cut anymore, and yet Obama wants more from them. Like I said over and over both are to blame. It's just that Democrats seem to point fingers more than Republicans. I never said that Republicans don't point fingers, but they do it less. The bad guy argument is a double edge sword. Republicans get called the bad guys just as often as democrats. And before you can go saying well you only say that because your Republican, I give you this, I have seen both side rally. I have family that are democrats and I have family that are Republicans. I may have been raised in a Republican household, but I have seen both sides and I have chosen that the Republican party sides more with my views. I am not out of touch with society and I am in no way rich. To me, this is what I see: Republicans believe in the value of hard work and earning everything you receive, democrats believe that everyone should be equal. Do I believe in equal rights, yes, and don't think for one second that I don't. But when it comes to my living and lifestyle, no. I work for what I have. I earn my money. If I can do it, then anyone can. If you knew how I grew up you would understand.The fact that you say you have no reason to believe in this country, well then leave, you are a part of the problem with this country and not a part of the solution. I don't ever say that unless seriously hurt. I have volunteered to put my life on the line so that you can have what this country has to offer to you. Almost every generation in my family has served in the military. By saying that you saying that what these people do for you, that the people who are dying on the front line, does not mean anything to you and that you don't care what they are willing to do for you. You should always believe in your country no matter what, that is how a country moves forward and changes.

I didn't mean all republicans are rich and out of touch, the negative remarks I make are about the politicians for the most part. Obama has improved things, the economy and many of the stocks are back to where the were before the recession or close. He created jobs and brought unemployment down 3 percent. Yes many people mooch off welfare but we do need it for people getting back on their feet and the elderly need it. But I don't agree with living off welfare forever. But saying Obama has done nothing for improvement is a 100 percent false statement, republicans think cutting everything and giving massive tax breaks to a billionaire will help.

Actually, the economy got worse in the first four years Obama was president. Not only that unemployment rose and has recently began to come down. Yes, stocks have raised and interest rates have lowered, but inflation has also risen. Foreclosures rose and have recently come down. The economy has so many more factors in it, so I don't necessarily blame politicians for it. There are parts of it I do blame politicians, like the national debt, things they directly responsible for.  I didn't say Obama hasn't done good things, but there a lot of things he has done that have hurt our country. I simply pointed those things out. And what democrats call tax breaks usually mean fair taxation. Yes, sometimes billionaires get tax breaks, but so do the other classes. Also, it isn't cutting everything, it's called making people rely on something other than federal aid.

Are you kidding me? Since the recession that bush helped cause, unemployment has gone from 9 percent to 6 percent all under Obamas presidency and his job growth ideas. The economy is getting better, people seem to blame all the debt and recession on Obama considering he inherited all of he recession and most of the debt. And fair taxation? Yeah giving the rich tax breaks is fair, totally fair that the middle class and poor lose a big part of their annual pay because people like Romney want that extra 5 million so they can earn 500 million a year instead of 495 million a year.

I have mixed feelings about my country. There are some things I love, some things I detest, and some things that I should appreciate more, but far too often take for granted. It is difficult for me and many others in my generation to maintain a positive image of my country, because it seems like everyone would rather complain about its flaws than celebrate its successes, and this type of thinking is contagious. I am all for taking an honest assessment of our country's problems, but only if the goal is constructive criticism, where we focus on making things better, rather than waste time and energy arguing about who is to blame.

Some things I dislike about my country currently include the constant state of political warfare, the strong sway that the media has on our citizens, the inefficiency of our government, the widespread laziness and sense of entitlement of quite a few of our citizens, and the increasing moral decline created by our postmodern culture's belief that there is no such thing as right and wrong. However, these problems are not limited to my country.

Some things I like about my country are its geographic diversity, its cultural diversity, its relative safety, the many freedoms given to its citizens, the way it earnestly tries to give everyone a fair chance at success regardless of who they are, and the generosity and idealism of so many of its citizens.

I hope that my country will get better with time, not worse. We have seen a lot of change for the good over the last couple of centuries, but there have been mistakes too. We are not perfect, nor do I expect that we ever will be. But I hope that people will keep working together, trying to make our nation, and our world, a better place.

2 people like this

Alex and Josh, if you want to debate politics, either PM each other or start a new thread. Please stay on topic or this thread will be locked. Thank you.

2 people like this

I absolutely love Canada. Our current government? No, thanks to what they're doing to the environment. But otherwise, I love Canada. I love that we're the second largest country in the world, I love that gays can marry everywhere, I love our publicly funded healthcare, I love our beautiful mountains, oceans, and lakes (don't ruin them, Stephen Harper!!!!!), I love how multi-cultural we are, I love our Provinces and Territories, and how different they are from each other...I'm going to stop the list here cuz I could go on for a while, I think. Main point is: I love Canada. lol.

Canada-Flag.png

Do I think it's the BEST country in the world? No. But I think it's top 10 without a doubt.

I'm not overly fond of England to be honest. I have always wanted to live in Canada though and plan to move to Ottawa as soon as it is possible.

Helloee, yep another vote for ones own country which is cool. I adore Great Britain love the countryside ,coasts,people but oddly I also like the current government who are doing a good job of keeping us out of recession. Same as above love the multi culture and yes a biggie our public funded health care. We are also so strong as a country considering the size of us, we do not get bullied by others and stand up for our beliefs. Fantastic That said I say we are in the top 10 yes but have to agree with Canada being there too. Now here I wanted a picture of a Union Jack but it will not paste aaaaaah.

Most people I meet have nothing positive to say about the current government and think they're ruining the country. Also, it's usually the very big cities that are multi-cultural. The majority of people living in the British countryside are caucasian and not very accepting of ethnic minorities.

I have to admit we are very strong considering our size like you said but that's due to the British Empire's involvement in the slave trade.

I'm not overly fond of England to be honest. I have always wanted to live in Canada though and plan to move to Ottawa as soon as it is possible.

While most Canadians would kill to visit England. lol. It always seems so exotic (and those accents!) My friend is going to London this spring break and I am super jealous. I hope you get to move to Canada! If so, don't forget to visit Vancouver and Toronto (they are both a must to see.)