Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loyalhero90

Get hit by a bus vs. STDs

4 posts in this topic

I have never totally understood the "hit by a bus" argument in relation to STDs. I have heard from certain conversations that WTM due to STD safety is silly because you could just get hit by a bus tomorrow and also die instead of dying from an STD.

1. Why is it always a motor vehicle? Why are people equating virus with motor vehicle? I have eyes so it would be hard for a bus, car, plane...just anything motor to hit me if I am looking. I have perfect confidence that I can walk outside, get a gallon of milk from the store and go back home without any motor accidents. This can also follow the "test drive" analogy.

2. The motor vehicle would be a surprise because if I was not looking+wearing headphones+ texting I wouldn't even know it was coming and would probably give instant death (according to their logic). I feel like with casual sex you have to have pregnancy/STDs in hindsight. If a person was surprised they caught an STD or was pregnant they were just plain ignorant to me. Also I have met people who have been hit by bus/cars and are perfectly fine afterwards thus they can have sex. If a person caught an STD there sex life would be severely hampered if they actually cared about spreading it to other people.

3. Why is the STD argument not working anymore? One of the main reasons why I WTM is because of STDs but if I ever had to tell that to people they scoff like it is not a big deal.

I've never thought about it as equating a virus to a motor vehicle accident. What I always thought of it as you could die tomorrow. As for not getting hit by a car because you would see it coming may be true sometimes not always. I've been in a motor vehicle accident and did not see he coming until I was hit and I was paying attention. You can't always see what is coming your way in life. That is the analogy people try to make. Now I don't see how that can compare to STD's, but that has just how I have seen it used before. I used to use it when my friends used to tell me I could die if I enter the military. Then I would say I could get hit by a bus while crossing the street and die and I would rather die knowing I at least did something meaningful. But as it refers to STD's yeah I don't know. It seems like an excuse to have sex without regard for the consequences or it's meaning.

As for why STD's argument isn't working anymore is because of the condom argument. Most think that using a condom will prevent you from getting an STD. While a condom can help to prevent an STD it is not 100% effective. But, most people don't think that way, they don't think they will be the one it happens to. Those combine render the STD argument invalid in most minds.

1 person likes this

I've never heard this argument before. I'm pretty dumbfounded someone would try to use it as an excuse to screw around. Seriously? It's like saying why not smoke, you're going to die anyway. Why not become a stunt double? Why not bungee jump? Why not become a coal miner?

The basic premise is, "an undetermined amount of risk of random death exists. Therefore, you should not limit risky behavior to reduce the amount of risk that IS determined."

It fails any logical standard I know of.

1 person likes this

I agree I've never heard of this analogy either, however I see your point LH90.

To answer your questions ...

(1) I must say I don't know why people use this contrast, as I've not heard

it before. However I believe it has a bit to do with the "carelessness"that

people think of contacting an STD

(2) Unfortunately, the last part of your statement rings true with a select few.

Some folks just don't care, last evening some friends and I, we're participating

in group discussion and the topic of STDs comes up. My church has just begun a

series on relationships. A couple people actually commented and said that if they

contracted an STD, and the symptoms weren't noticeable, that they'd not tell

that partner. Wow, is all I can say, reckless.

(3) The STD argument doesn't work, well 'cause as I shared above, a couple of people will

live recklessly and immorally.

And well some folks, are convinced that all STDs are able to be cured with a few pills.

(which is so far from the truth)

Disclaimer; my small group is composed of many people from different backgrounds, lifestyles

experience, age range (18-29), and I really enjoy this variety.