Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kailey

NFL Fans Opinions Please

7 posts in this topic

Of course, I write this from a woman's point of view, but I don't know how much that affects my thinking on this. I watched the Patriots play the Ravens tonight and was struck again by how violent some teams are compared to others. Apparently, Bernard Pollard of the Ravens seriously injured his fourth Patriot player tonight! (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2013/01/21/bernard-pollard-baltimore-ravens/1850637/) To me, it seemed like the Ravens were more physical/violent than the Patriots. Is it just me, or do you notice when one team seems more violent than another? That article mentions that this kind of hit, when players lower their heads into a tackle, wants to be gotten rid of in the NFL, I for one hope it will be. It just seems like a dirty way to play/win to me.

I don't follow football a lot, but I do watch the playoffs a little.  Football is a very physical game, hence the padding the players wear.  You could say that the goal of the game is to (besides outscoring) out-play the opponent.  In a sport that requires big strong guys to literally run into each other, injuries are expected.  One team being more "violent" than another isn't really terms of violence but terms of playing strength.  It's easily confused in football, but what you perceive as violent is just rough playing, which is what football is all about.  There are penalties, such as "unnecessary roughness" that are applied when a player gets, well, unnecessarily rough with his opponent.  But a particular player injuring several players from the opponent team is not violence, but just rough playing, and is most of the time unavoidable in football.  It's not dirty playing, it's just the name of the game, and they win not because they were too rough, but because the other team couldn't give it back (not didn't want to, couldn't).  Make sense?  Clear as mud?  haha.  Good question.  :)

2 people like this

Most of the time I think it's like what Zeke said. Just part of the game and injuries happen accidentally. I don't watch much NFL but if it's anything like college then occasionally you can tell that a player was out to hurt someone. Maybe not to seriously injure them, but by tackling a certain way (spearing like you mentioned, helmet to the knees or head, etc.) they greatly increase the likelihood of doing so. I don't know if coaches are not addressing it or if those players don't care or if it really is just accidental. But I hate seeing it.

1 person likes this

Thanks guys! It's hard for me to watch, especially because they will start playing it over and over, I just have to look away.

Well, it seems Bernard Pollard himself is worried.

He says:

"The league is trying to move in the right direction [with player safety]," he said, "but, at the same time, [coaches] want bigger, stronger and faster year in and year out. And that means you're going to keep getting big hits and concussions and blown-out knees. The only thing I'm waiting for ... and, Lord, I hope it doesn't happen ... is a guy dying on the field. We've had everything else happen there except for a death. We understand what we signed up for, and it sucks.

"Like I said, I pray it never happens, but you've got guys who are 350 pounds running 4.5 and 4.4s, and these owners and coaches want scout-run blockers and linemen to move walls. At the same time, they tell you, 'Don't hit here, and don't hit there, or we'll take your money.' Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I just believe one day there's going to be a death that takes place on the field because of the direction we're going."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/bernard-pollard-way-nfl-heading-someone-going-die-153615116--nfl.html

I surely hopes that never happens!

I like watching football, but I don't really know all the rules to it. I do know from experience from playing other sports that adding more rules to prevent injuries actually ends up causing more injuries, especially in like college and pros. These athletes have been taught how to do one thing for their athletic career. They have worked for years to become one of the best. Now you ask them to change they way they know how to play and you expect them to play at the same level as they did before. They have to concentrate to make sure they don't make the violation, instead of focusing fully on what the other player may also be doing. The greatest weapon a player has is their defense against the other team. You have to know how to react. When you aren't fully concentrating, you can't react as well. Most of the times it is the reaction that prevents injuries. 

Sports aren't necessarily safe, but they are making strides to make them safer. I think safety should come mainly from making safer equipment. I do think there should be rules that prevent unnecessary injuries, such as the unnecessary roughness rule. No matter what though, when you play a sport you accept the possibility you could get injured.