Mike

What lines have people used to reject you? [for the book]

50 posts in this topic

Ok guys and gals, next question I need you to answer for the book.

If you're used to being seen as the nice guy/girl, then you've probably heard a few uniquely memorable rejection lines from people who weren't interested in the kindhearted stuff you were selling. What's one of your favorites? I'll start...

"You're the kind of guy that girls will want to marry later in life, and you're going to be so popular when we're older." 
-My best girl friend when I was 16. 

1 person likes this

He he, Classic for me and goodness had it said to me twice ! "I think we should break up but I want you to know its not your fault you are lovely , It's It's me". Still makes me smile..

Colin. 45

1 person likes this

Ones that have been used on me:

• "But you're such a good friend. I don't want to ruin our friendship if we break up."
  • "Aww...you're like a brother to me."
  • "You're ugly."
  • "You'll find a great girl someday, just not me."
  • *punches me and walks away.*
  • "Oh um...I'm seeing someone right now." (Yet they are single on Facebook)
  • "I don't deserve you, you're too good for me."
  • "Haha, stop joking around."
  • "Yeah you'd treat me so well, but I want to give my boyfriend another chance."
9 people like this

Hmm, well neither of the occasions were because I was waiting for marriage, as the guys were waiting too, so these probably wouldn't work for the book, but use what you will:

- "You deserve someone more romantic and adventurous than me. I am too grumpy, and you are so sweet."

- "You're an amazing girl. You're incredibly sweet and caring. But I recently began to realize that friends is all we can ever be."

So it would seem that my relationship woes all stem from this inner sweetness, yes? Hmm, I must work on getting rid of that and developing my mean streak. *SARCASM*  :D

Otherwise, I am rarely rejected, as it is pretty unusual for guys to express interest in me, and as I do not feel comfortable pursuing anyone. Normally, if guys show any interest in me at all, they do so for a short time, flirting, and even asking for my phone number and inviting me to coffee, only to suddenly disappear completely without saying anything. It is kind of rejection by omission.

- Dani, 24

1 person likes this

Wel, I haven't gotten rejected a lot because people already know my goals, and use this logic:

"I don't want to date someone naive. I need someone experienced. Gotta test drive the car before you buy it, right? I'm still young and I gottta enjoy my youth."

1.) I'm not naive. My friends and family say I'm one of the wisest people they know. Sex does not make you a "grown up." It's only mature when you understand how serious it is and use it with the right person for the right reasons.

2.) Do you try on a pair of underwear before you buy them? No. You should know everything that matters about them without physically trying them on. Same with sex.

3.) There are plenty of other ways to enjoy yourself. And why do people talk as if their youth ends after 20? -.-

I hope this is what you were looking for. :)

-Danielle, 19

3 people like this

Most of the time I don't get asked out in the first place. I was told this is because, "Everyone knows you are not going to put out, so they don't consider you seriously. Maybe once you get into your 30's and more men are looking to settle down."

"You're going to make someone a wonderful wife someday."  But clearly not him.

5 people like this

The day we broke up..."I wish you'd just go have sex with someone else...I could never have sex with someone who hadn't done it before." (She was obv a non waiter prior to our dating)

Not joking.

And to add a fun twist to the story about a year after this she asks me to lunch...sounds harmless enough except for the fact that SHE GOT MARRIED a few months before. Then proceeds to tell me she married the wrong guy. Ha!!

8 people like this

Mines not that great: "I just don't like you like that anymore." Nothing else. Cool. Definitely felt real good both times after hearing that from 2 different guys :/

3 people like this

Thought of another one...."I just don't think you've dated enough girls" Ummmmm ok?

5 people like this

I've gotten two

-"I'm not ready for a relationship right now." Gets in a relationship 2 weeks later.

-Silence.

5 people like this

The day we broke up..."I wish you'd just go have sex with someone else...I could never have sex with someone who hadn't done it before." (She was obv a non waiter prior to our dating)

I've been told this too! I completely forgot until I read yours. It's like non-waiters are fearful of virgins or something.

4 people like this

I've only got one so far (I'm 1/2)

"I can't give you the level of affection that you deserve."

- a girl after the first date

Still trying to figure that one out. lol

2 people like this

wow really know one has mentioned the most famous one of them all which is "Im sorry, your just not my type", also ive mainly just heard "No" then they just walk away.

2 people like this

"Yes Morkant (Not quite), I will be your girlfriend."

- My Love when we were 17.

I've never been rejected in my life.

1 person likes this

"You're like an alien-robot....I can't deal with it" ....(in reference to the lack of action between the sheets after only a few weeks!!)

-Jane, 24

6 people like this

Most of the time I don't get asked out in the first place. I was told this is because, "Everyone knows you are not going to put out, so they don't consider you seriously. Maybe once you get into your 30's and more men are looking to settle down."

"You're going to make someone a wonderful wife someday."  But clearly not him.

^This. I never get asked out in the first place, but people have told me the above. I got rejected by being stood up, which I guess isn't a line.

I don't really have a favorite rejection line, but looking back, this one is probably the most unlike any of the others: "If you ever try to contact me again, I'll press harassment charges".  (Said immediately after informing me that she was sleeping with someone, obviously not me).

Some others:

"I just feel like our lives are growing in different directions..."

"You're not letting people see enough of you."  (I think she meant that in a metaphorical sense)

"I don't want a boyfriend."  (Then she had one a few weeks later......)

Mike, I'll let you pick which one, if any, you can use in the book! 

1 person likes this

Mine's not very eye-catching: "You're a nice guy, but I'm simply not into you." 

-Chris, 26

1 person likes this

The most stupid rejection line in human nature >> drum roll please.. drllllmmmmm  tsh!!

Its not you... [then that infamous pause] ... its me!!

4 people like this

I did not think you were serious about waiting when I asked you out.

I got this too! It wasn't a guy asking me out though. The guy seemed interested in me and while we were talking he said this. He didn't show much interest after... >.> Made me want to curl in a little ball and cry about how unfair the world is, but I figured he was just shallow and I should move on. It's life, just gotta deal with it.

1 person likes this

I got this too! It wasn't a guy asking me out though. The guy seemed interested in me and while we were talking he said this. He didn't show much interest after... >.> Made me want to curl in a little ball and cry about how unfair the world is, but I figured he was just shallow and I should move on. It's life, just gotta deal with it.

I got this so many times. It is just a reminder of why I want to wait because I want my first time to mean something 

3 people like this

@ajensen - That's an awesome one. If I quote that in the book, what first name and age do you want me to use? You can make up a fake first name if you want (see my earlier post in this thread). I just need something like "Alison, 22" as the source of the quote.