Invincible

Why do girls go to public restrooms in groups?

43 posts in this topic

This is perhaps as much of a mystery as the question of what is beyond the universe. lol. Ladies, why? Is it because you want to secretly gossip about us guys? Keep each other from falling into the toilet? Is there a comfy couch in there where you just sit and hang?

Care to enlighten us?

1 person likes this

This is perhaps as much of a mystery as the question of what is beyond the universe. lol. Ladies, why? Is it because you want to secretly gossip about us guys? Keep each other from falling into the toilet? Is there a comfy couch in there where you just sit and hang?

Care to enlighten us?

It is usually because the girl needs to freshen up and make sure she is still presentable. Her friends can help her double-check on make-up, dress etc. There is also a sense of protection like a stranger would be less likely to bother a girl if she had a friend with her (I know that sounds weird with just going to the restroom but if it is really far away then it is an option).

Other than freshing up it is a safe haven to gossip about people, if the girl had too much to drink than the friend can hold back her hair and keep her from falling into the toilet. Sometimes there is a little couch to just sit and hang out and also check clothing since it is hard to check for problems with shoes/stockings without a something to sit on.

3 people like this

Other than freshing up it is a safe haven to gossip about people, if the girl had too much to drink than the friend can hold back her hair and keep her from falling into the toilet. 

Hmm...

I think it is because, if you are in a group, it is awkward to sit there if you are the only girl left or your friend is the only one that you know well-at least for me! So I would just go with her to avoid the awkward silence :) :lol:.

4 people like this

A couple of reasons why going in a group tends to occur.

One, is that like Kailey said, if you are the only girl left, it might get a bit awkward sitting there not knowing what to say if you don't know the other people that well.

Second, many times all the girls were thinking, I might like to use the restroom, but the first person who says it, sort of gives an excuse to the rest to use the opportunity.

And third, sometimes women's restrooms are pretty gorgeous. The interior decorating, especially at any semi-fancy place, most nice restaurants, etc. can be really nice, and we want to go see what they look like. I remember one restroom I went to had this huge outer room with couches and chairs, big mirrors, flowers. I took a bit of a rest on one of the chairs, so comfortable!

Anyway, seldom if ever have I left a group to follow my friend to the bathroom to gossip.. it just doesn't really happen that way. It's usually a combination of the first three, and if it's a place that seems isolated or sketchy, than of course for safety.

3 people like this

because we get to ave girl talk which you cant do at the table know matter who your with, unless your with a group of your closets girls friend :)

1 person likes this

So we can talk about boys... DUH!!! ;)

Okay, that only applies sometimes! :)

I basically agree with the reasons given above. Mostly for me, it is what Jenny mentioned; I may already be thinking of using the restroom, so when someone else says they need to go, it seems to be the appropriate time to go as well, so as to not be the only one gone from the group later. Other times, I may be having a conversation with someone, so it makes sense to go to the restroom with them rather than interrupting our discussion.

There really is no sinister reasoning behind this, I promise! Girls are perfectly capable of using the restroom on our own; we just normally find it more convenient to all get it over with at the same time.

1 person likes this

I'll be 100% honest: sometimes we don't know ourselves. lol. It seems to be a cultural thing. Like when one girl friend goes to the bathroom, the rest should go with her. One time me and two friends did that at a dinner, we got to the bathroom and we were like "uh...why are we all here?" lol. But sometimes it is to talk because that is the one place a guy can not walk in on us while we're having "girl talk." Also, in fancy places, girls bathrooms have a make-up area with mirrors and chairs (or even a sofa,) and sometimes we go there JUST to talk. In this one hotel I stayed at, the girls bathroom had 20 make-up stations and a lounge area...the guys bathroom was just a regular bathroom (I asked my dad, I did NOT go in.)

I'll be 100% honest: sometimes we don't know ourselves. lol. It seems to be a cultural thing. Like when one girl friend goes to the bathroom, the rest should go with her. One time me and two friends did that at a dinner, we got to the bathroom and we were like "uh...why are we all here?" lol. But sometimes it is to talk because that is the one place a guy can not walk in on us while we're having "girl talk." Also, in fancy places, girls bathrooms have a make-up area with mirrors and chairs (or even a sofa,) and sometimes we go there JUST to talk. In this one hotel I stayed at, the girls bathroom had 20 make-up stations and a lounge area...the guys bathroom was just a regular bathroom (I asked my dad, I did NOT go in.)

Sometimes I wonder whether you girls are teasing us with the couches, make up stations, disco balls, and valet parking that go on in girls' bathrooms or if they're actually true, lol!

Sometimes I wonder whether you girls are teasing us with the couches, make up stations, disco balls, and valet parking that go on in girls' bathrooms or if they're actually true, lol!

In some places it really is true...

http://www.constructioncanada.net/newsletter/20120919/images/This-Is-London-Club--1.jpg

http://www.bestrestroom.com/_images/canada/nominee-2012/nominee-3a.jpg

Couches and make-up stations are not necessarily a joke. Girls' bathrooms definitely may have them. Disco balls?! Valet parking?! lol. Now THAT'S made up. If you don't believe me about the make-up stations, I have pictures to show you of a bathroom with a lot of make-up stations. I took the pictures to show my dad to see if the men's washroom was that big. It wasn't.

Couches and make-up stations are not necessarily a joke. Girls' bathrooms definitely may have them. Disco balls?! Valet parking?! lol. Now THAT'S made up. If you don't believe me about the make-up stations, I have pictures to show you of a bathroom with a lot of make-up stations. I took the pictures to show my dad to see if the men's washroom was that big. It wasn't.

I'd like to see that.

*Whispering* Psst... who told them about the valet parking and the disco ball? Girls, we were supposed to keep that a SECRET! Next thing we know, they'll find out about the snack bar and the massages too! *End whispering*

Um, of course there is nothing, uh, interesting in the girls', um, bathroom. Er, why do you think that?

7 people like this

Fun story:

Last year at school, as always the bathrooms were trashed with toilet paper. I did my best to avoid stepping on it and did my business. I came out and back into the cafeteria, and everyone was snickering at me, ne girl pointed at my feet, and whaddaya know, my shoe has a trail of toilet paper. I was embarrassed at first, but I just acted like it was on purpose, it later became a trend for some reason :huh:

2 people like this

Normally one of my friends does have to use the restroom and we all go so no one is left at the table/bar/desk. Its just a great way to have a little meeting. Its also good for the guys left at the table. Think of it as seperate group meeting for a common goal

I'm a girl, and I honestly have no idea why other girls do this. I've always gone to the restroom by myself and only go when I feel the need. I don't wear make-up so I have no need to primp or check myself. I don't even use hairspray or anything so I have no need to check my hair either. I don't like to gossip, so that's out too. And really, I don't want people listening to me do my business while they're waiting on me. That's just gross. It's private. I've gotten into many arguments with other girls about this, because I've refused to go with them. Which usually ends up with me saying something nasty like, "You really need me to hold your hand while you take a p***?" Yeah...guess that's why I get along better with guys!  :P

3 people like this

In my experience, this is a cliche.  I've only seen multiple women go to the bathroom together a handful of times.  I am not a recluse or anything like it either, haha.  I have never gone to the bathroom with another woman, and I cannot remember a time when another woman followed me to the bathroom.  The closest I have come to that was when my mom took me to the bathroom when I had to use a public bathroom.

I'm a girl, and I honestly have no idea why other girls do this. I've always gone to the restroom by myself and only go when I feel the need. I don't wear make-up so I have no need to primp or check myself. I don't even use hairspray or anything so I have no need to check my hair either. I don't like to gossip, so that's out too. And really, I don't want people listening to me do my business while they're waiting on me. That's just gross. It's private. I've gotten into many arguments with other girls about this, because I've refused to go with them. Which usually ends up with me saying something nasty like, "You really need me to hold your hand while you take a p***?" Yeah...guess that's why I get along better with guys!  :P

This is why people should be seen as individuals...  From reading what you have wrote, I think that you may want to meet other women so that you aren't so prejudiced toward your own sex.  I don't wear make-up, primp myself every ten minutes, gossip, or do other things that you labeled women as doing; but I always kept those stereotypes of women with other ridiculous stereotypes.  I have never let these stereotypes get in the way meeting others, and I have certainly never attributed them to all women then justifying a preference to have male friends.  And women who do these stereotypical things are not so intolerable that I cannot be friends with them.  Gossiping is very annoying, but the other things?  Come on, now.  Maybe the person that begged you to go to the bathroom with her needed help with something private.

You bring up all of these factors, and then say that because you do not have them is the reason that you get along better with men.  That's messed up.  Not all women do these things, and, actually, there are men who do these things.  You've never heard men gossip?  I don't know you personally, and I don't mean to be harsh, but I do get angry when I see these stereotypes against people.  I am a black woman, and I have heard a lot about my sex and race that I have no problem debunking them.  I have a few friends who say things like "That's why all my friends are guys," / "That's why I get along better with men than women," etc. (Apparently, I must be their female exception, lol), and I tell them the exact same thing.  It's along the lines of a guy whose girlfriend leaves him for a richer man suddenly having the epiphany that "all women are gold-digging sluts" or a women who was cheated on by her boyfriend coming to the conclusion that, "all men are lying, cheating bastards."  These are ridiculous, right?  I mean there are people who break up for a wealthier partner and cheat, but it is not right to attribute a few people's actions to everyone who share the same sex as the said people.

If all people accepted the reality of people being individuals, and accordingly behaving as individuals, then stereotypes would have no footing in the world.  People would just be a group of individuals who have no attached suppositions and preconceives notions about that person because of the "group" (culture, race, sex, class, education, gender, orientation, etc.) he or she "belongs" to.  And the world would be a much better place. :)

1 person likes this

Honestly I dont like it when my friends wanna go in the bathroom with me haha! Im like thinking I have to pee go away!