Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Englishguy1988

I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this but...

4 posts in this topic

As I'm sure your all well aware I definately want children but when my wife is in labour I am going to feel so useless (as well as guilty for being the cause of her pain, I would rather I was in pain than see my wife suffer) and I was just wondering what I could do to make labour a bit easier for her. I know you won't have experienced this but if you have ever wanted children I'm sure you must of thought about labour and maybe even spoken about it with other people.

To me I would try and help keep her cool with a cool damp wash cloth, rub her back if she is ok with that and hold her hand and tell her how great she is doing and how much I love her and what an amazing mummy she is going to be; but I would still feel like I was useless whilst she is in labour.

Thankyou if you awnsered this, I know its probably a strange question especially to ask especially here.

-Aaron

This is not the wrong place to ask, although it is a little 'off-topic'so to speak, but it directly relates to WTM. Labor is gonna be painful no matter what; it's a fact of life. Aim for a childbirth NOT at a natural place (at a normal hospital) so your wife can get the shot in her back (I forget what it's called) to help ease the pain.

Trying to keep her cool would be good, ASK her if she wants her back rubbed--some women just want to be able to hold someone's hand and squeeze it like crazy while screaming. To some, like me if you're telling me how good I'm doing etc, and I'm in a lot of pain, I may get pissed off and I'd be screaming at the apin already. Just hold my hand, tell me how we're almost there and try to cool me off with a fan and/or cool washcloth.

Definitly a question to talk to your wife about while in the last couple of months. =)

Hey Aaron!

It's sort of a relevant topic, I guess...

when my wife is in labour I am going to feel so useless (as well as guilty for being the cause of her pain, I would rather I was in pain than see my wife suffer) and I was just wondering what I could do to make labour a bit easier for her.

Yeah, I have wondered about what giving birth is going to be like...My mum had a C-section, so I can't really ask her...

For me, I think I'd just want him, as you said, there holding my hand, reassuring me, etc. And once the baby's born and the afterbirth (icky) is all out and whatnot, he could massage my stomach for me to help my uterus contract (yeah, I've put a bit of research into all this).

Aim for a childbirth NOT at a natural place (at a normal hospital) so your wife can get the shot in her back (I forget what it's called) to help ease the pain.

"Epidural"?

xxx

Yeah its call an epidural and it is basically a tiny tube inserted into the back via a needle and I think it stays in to gradually slow the anesthethic into the body (spinal fluid? To help numb the pain).

Yeah I agree me telling her she is doing great might really annoy her, which is why I'm asking for advice so I can sort of learn a bit about how to support my wife, although obviously I also realise it will vary from person to person so I will definately be talking to my wife about it.

It would be kind of awkward for me to talk to about it with my mum I think lol but I do/did watch one born every minute which is a tv documentary about childbirth and it always seemed to me like the guys were really unhelpful or just plain rude sometimes but I want to be able to support my wife throughout our marriage and that includes childbirth and I know that's probably years away yet but I still think about how I want marriage and children all the time because I'm really looking forward to both, which I guess is kind of strange as most guys (other than WTM) seem to try and avoid both.

-Aaron