Mike

Explain why you decided to wait in 5 lines or less [for the book]

139 posts in this topic

I decided to wait because I want to only be with one man. I want to give that part of myself to one person. I am also doing this out of my love and trust of God and believe that he will bless my marriage. I wait because the thought of being with anyone other than my future husband doesn't even seem conceivable to me.

Honestly, my decision to wait was hugely based on the fact that i had a pregnancy nipped. i decided then after i had dealt with the guilt and depression, that more than anything outside of the fear of getting pregnant again or worrying about pills & different contraceptive methods to use, i just wanted a relationship that was held together by something more than sex. 

2 people like this

I am waiting because sex should be a part of marriage, not the reason for it. Although we desire each other, we are not going to have sex. Just because Jesus died to rid us of our sins does not mean that we should take that gift for granted, and that we are always forgiven, eternally. We are only forgiven when we realize that we have done something wrong, and when we try our best to earn forgiveness, and not to make the same mistake again.

Aurora, 19

4 people like this

While marriage would be nice, I am not so much waiting till marriage as boycotting the awful sexual culture that has poisoned male/female relations and produced so much rape and divorce and other ills.  I admire Saint Paul ("Flee Fornication").  I actually decided to wait/boycott when I was 16, after emailing a priest at biblequestions.org and he eventually told me that the bible discourages premarital sex.  I had to exchange emails with him several times and practically twist his arm to get him to tell me that.  It was like he was scared I'd stop believing in God, if it meant waiting on sex.

2 people like this

For me though I'm a strong Christian believer, I didn't start out wanting to "wait", though I did in a way.

As I've often stated, I was just gonna wait till I fell in love and that love was reciprocated, then I figured we'd make love and go from there.

However as I've gotten older, and grown more mature, I saw the ratification of sex before marriage, in unplanned pregnancies, broken hearts, excess baggage from failed relationships and the like.

So though it's a long journey, I'm along for the walk, and yes it's a walk not a sprint.

However I know that on that first time, on our wedding night, and for the rest of our lives it'll be worth the wait.

And we'll both say, Amen, and Hallelujah, thank you Father, it was truly worth it to wait for you!

That's why I adore this song ....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ytS-bOZuTUU

As well as, 'Fishy', and 'Our Finest Hour'

5 people like this

So I was raised with traditional (Southern) values which most people would consider old-fashioned. Now, at 18, I cling to my decision to wait while I feel more and more alone among my peers as I'm seemingly the only virgin left. I defy the stereotype of losing one's virginity in high school, and now freshman year of college. However, I know that I will be grateful for my decision if I ever get the chance to get married. I've seen how society pushes sex on people and it frustrates me to no end. I don't want to buy into that - I respect myself enough not to. I quote from an unknown source, "Will it be easy? Nope. Will it be worth it? Absolutely."

-Katie, 18

8 people like this

I feel like to be naked and vulnerable with someone is to bare one's soul to them. And that's why it hurts more when that person wasn't the right person. Russell Brand once said that the sexual self is who you really are at your core... I feel like if you bare yourself to more than one person, that person has a piece of you forever at the back of their mind, whether you were naked together, or oral sex, or whatever. I don't want that with more than one person; I want one person to trust with all of me, and I want to be the only person to know all of them, inside and out. I think there is something bonding and beautiful in two people being the only people who can be vulnerable with and accept eachother.

8 people like this

My faith is important to me. Also for me I think its a moral issue. I can't bring myself not to wait.

6 people like this

I know it's kind of late, but why not contribute? :P

I'm waiting until marriage because I love my wife more than I could ever imagine.  Even though I haven't met her yet.  Marriage is the ultimate form of romantic relationship, and that should come with the ultimate form of physical intimacy - otherwise, making love with your spouse is worth nothing more than with anyone else.  When I am married, my wife will get all of me, and I all of her - it will be special because it will be a new experience, a new expression of love, for the both of us.

9 people like this

I am not a virgin.. I actually have a baby. Before her I was very lost and when I got pregnant is how I got saved and decided to live a good life and seen the love God has. I want to wait until marriage. I know that waiting will be worth it.

-Kristin. 23

11 people like this

I've been emotionally through the ringer in past relationships.  I did actually have sex once by choice and once not by choice, and most of my exes have treated me very badly.  I decided to wait partly for spiritual reasons, but also because I feel that I don't want to share such a deep level of trust with someone who will break my heart again.  I want to wait until I can be assured that I'm with "the One" and would never marry someone I didn't think I could be happy with for life.  Finally, I found a purity ring on the street that just happened to fit on my wedding finger.  I took that as an omen and decided to make my status as WTM official at that point.

4 people like this

Why do I wait? I want to show my future wife that I cared enough about her to make those memories with her my first.

- Steven, age 24 as of March 12, 2014

12 people like this

Why do I wait? I want to show my future wife that I cared enough about her to make those memories with her my first.

Boom! Better take cover, 'cause 573V3N's droppin' some cold hard truths!

1 person likes this

I decided to wait the moment I learned what sex is and why God created it. I decided because I want to be a woman of God, of Love, Integrity, Honor, and Respect in the eyes of my husband. And I decided to wait not just for me but for my husband because I love and respect him already more than you can imagine.

-Jasmine Bellamy, 24

4 people like this

Ill be 47 in a little more then 2 months and I'm still a virgin and I don't regret my decision one bit. As a practicing Catholic I know that sex is something I want to save for my soulmate on my wedding night regardless of how long I have to wait. These are my convictions and I stand by them 100%.

While I believe marriage and love making and finding your soulmate are very special and important things , I have found a love that supersedes all of these put together and it's agape love, and to me nothing even comes close. Eros or romantic love is special but agape rules them all. God is pure agape love .

11 people like this

For many reasons, Primarily beause I am a demi-sexual and due to that I do not see the point in lovemaking, unless it was with someone I intended to spend my life with. On top of that, I posess a strong disire to have something special and pure with my wife, and she is the only one I want to know intimately. Also, because I understand that if I was to have a daughter, it is in her best interest to wait, and I would not want to be a hypocrite. If I was to have a daughter I am the one whom she will look to see what a man is, and I would not want to set a bad example.

5 people like this

For many reasons, Primarily beause I am a demi-sexual and due to that I do not see the point in lovemaking, unless it was with someone I intended to spend my life with. 

I am demi-sexual as well! It's always nice to run into another one, as there are so few of us out there.

2 people like this

When I was younger, my reason for waiting for marriage was religious reasons. But as I grew older, my reason for waiting has a deeper meaning for me. I don't want to cheat on my future husband. I want to be with him and only him. I don't want to end up with any of those STDs. I don't want to deal with the emotions that come with having sex with just a boyfriend/one night stand. I am waiting for God, for him and for myself.

6 people like this

For me sex means a lot more than just satisfying "the physical need", for me it is about having a very deep and pure connection that will bring me emotionally, mentally and physically close to the person I love, something that would make us "US". I want to have this special connection only with my wife, that's why I decided to wait.

7 people like this

It's a leap of faith. Faith that one day I'll meet someone so right for me that neither of us will ever want to be with anyone else. I want to believe in true love; if it exists, it's worth waiting for. That's why it's such a precious gift to give: it is, inherently, a risk. I can't settle for less than love...even though it might mean waiting forever. But that's what makes it a leap of faith.

—Arlynn, 27

3 people like this

My decision was based, in the beginning (early teen), on a combination of being abused as a child (about 4) and my faith teaching that abstinence before marriage is important for a couple. Even though those around me didn't practice the abstinence part. As I got older, I wanted to make sure that love was involved and, to me, that meant finding my someone I wanted to share my life with... meaning marriage. As the years have gone by, I've realized all of the other bonuses... less worry about STDs, not having to worry about unexpected pregnancies and single parenthood, and (if I ever meet the right one) we will spend our time before marriage getting to TRULY know one another, etc. OH, and I don't want to forget one of the most important parts for me... I feel like when I meet THE ONE he will feel happy that I believe he is special enough to wait for.

~Liz, 34

Until I was told about this site, my view points made me feel very alone in the world. Now, I spend more time reading on this site, and enjoying the support and encouragement that the people provide, and hoping that I can help support someone else, than I do on the personals site I am on.

7 people like this

So I was raised with traditional (Southern) values which most people would consider old-fashioned. Now, at 18, I cling to my decision to wait while I feel more and more alone among my peers as I'm seemingly the only virgin left. I defy the stereotype of losing one's virginity in high school, and now freshman year of college. However, I know that I will be grateful for my decision if I ever get the chance to get married. I've seen how society pushes sex on people and it frustrates me to no end. I don't want to buy into that - I respect myself enough not to. I quote from an unknown source, "Will it be easy? Nope. Will it be worth it? Absolutely."

-Katie, 18

Very well said.

5lines nhee..

I decided to wait while I was still very young, Bcoz I thought sex is dirty at a young age, en I knew It would make me loose my confidence, en have a guilty conscious , so I ddn't want to be taken as a loose girl do something God wouldn't like.

That was my childhood reason .

As I was growing up at about age of 16yrs, I took a pledge to be sexual pure until marriage, as I believed that True love waits en that's what I wanted en still want; true love.

I didn't want anyone to practice to be a husband on me Shem , I just loved my self too much to sleep with some1 who might not marry me, even a kiss is a big deal to me..

I waited Bcoz it believed that: sex before marriage is a sin , en as a worshiper that would not glorify of please God.

I decided to wait Bcoz I always wanted sex to be shared with my best choice husband.

I believe that sex is special therefore it needs to be treated as such, and be done with a special person , of which my future husband is that special person .

I am now 28yrs, am still waiting coz am still not married en I would feel that the past 27 years would be such a waste if I givin to sex before marriage now... Das Ma story...

my decision to wait was for both religious and personal reasons coz i believe that it is one of the keys to a successful marriage and also being a virtuous woman like that of the bible is what I've always hoped and prayed to be which i believe could only be achieved through waiting.

-Carol, 19

1 person likes this

I don't really think I "decided" anything because as far back as I can remember, even as a kid, I've always believed in lifelong monogamy; so I can say that for me "waiting" has been like breathing, I don't "decide" to breathe, I just do. Even after I hit puberty, the transition to being "sexually aware" didn't change anything but even then, more than "waiting till marriage" it was a case of "waiting forever" because I figured that the odds of meeting someone like me & us having that magical chemistry were so minuscule that I was mentally preparing myself for a lonely life. Recently, I've been thinking that maybe being proactive & looking around might help the odds.....at least a little bit......

- Sachin, 27

4 people like this