Guest redyellowblue

Ba Dum Tshh

10 posts in this topic

Do any of you play any musical instruments? I'm wanting to learn how to play one - so what would you recommend for a complete beginner - and, , dont say recorder, cause I did that in the 3rd grade! "Hot Cross Buns!" :) ahaha

Anyway, is it even possible since Im hearing impaired? Would I end up bloodying someone's ears? Ive always wanted to learn how to play the banjo or the steel guitar!!

I play the piano, though not regularly, and not very well. I would highly recommend it for a beginner. As for whether or not it is possible to have a successful music career when hearing impaired, I suppose that depends on your level of commitment and the quality of instruction you receive, but remember, Beethoven continued to compose, conduct, and perform after becoming completely deaf, so have hope! If you were to learn to read music and take a few piano lessons, you should be able to play basic melodies. Start simply, make a strong foundation, and then build from there. I cannot speak for the banjo or steel guitar, having never played those, but I wish you every success!

1 person likes this

I'm no guitar virtuoso but here is my .o2 cents:

I play guitar (steel string acoustic). I do think it is possible to play a music instrument even if you are hearing impaired (hey Beethoven did it). I agree with WW, start with a basic foundation and then build upwards. For guitar, I would recommend learning about the parts of the guitar first (bridge, fret board/neck, tuning knobs etc..). Eventually, moving onto learning basic musical theory for guitar like note placement on the guitar fret board, scales, fret board positions, chords, beat duration, time signatures etc.. You will find that possessing some musical theory (even if it not so much) will help you learn how to play songs faster.

However, WW is right, piano is a good instrument for a beginner. One reason for this is because piano is a visual instrument. You can see how the chord/scale if formed, for example. On the guitar, it take a little more imagination. Notes are spread out on the fret board, so a chord/scale can be played at different positions on the guitar.

There are good guitar teachers on the net (especially youtube). Guitarnoise.com is another good site for learning guitar.

Finally, playing music is about feeling. I have a good friend of mine who is blind but plays piano beautifully. Even though he cannot see, he relies on his other senses (hearing, touch, etc..). He has an understanding of music theory, and is able to internalize the music's rhymms and beats to the point where he does not have to think about where the next chords or notes go, he just goes with it). In doing so, he is able to improve or create his own musical sound.

2 people like this

Boy, this sounds difficult! I forgot about Beethoven! I usually associate that name with the saint bernard! haha.

Im just looking to enjoy it by myself and with friends/family, i definitely wouldnt make it into a music career, lol. Thank you!! Ill start with the piano - i think i have one made for a child from years ago!! :D lol

Starting with piano sounds great, and I'm not biased at all! :D

Here's a site I've heard good things about for beginners: http://www.zebrakeys.com/

And you might youtube Sky Mundell for inspiration. He's a deaf/blind pianist.

1 person likes this

I've been playing the violin since fifth grade, and it's really fun! They have white tape for where the notes are below the strings for beginners too. There are also plenty of worksheets for learning how to read notes. I honestly love the instrument and I wish I had one of my own so I could practice more! I even got the opportunity to play the main themes from Phantom of the Opera, which made my life! I've heard piano is amazing too. I wanted to try it out, but my fingers aren't flexible enough I guess because I couldn't get the hang of it (shame though, I love the piano! :(). Oboes are always in tune, maybe you can try that one out? :) I took a musical hearing test in fifth grade to see if I could play an instrument, so maybe you can try that out too? Not sure where to find one though, maybe a music shop? Hope I helped!

I wish I had a more legitimate reason to post in this thread other than to say it has a great title.  Sadly, I'm about as musical as an eggplant.  I used to be able to sorta play the harmonica.