Guest redyellowblue

Curious - what is your religious belief (including atheism) and what supports / why this belief?

99 posts in this topic

I believe in Christ god holy spirit the trinity basically. But religious beliefs I don't like to think of then like that I'm not even part of an actual sect of the church.

Non-Practising Christian. I fully believe in God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit. Have been baptized (twice), But I do not attend church, pray often or hold a religious membership.

I believe/ act this as I was severely turned off by the politics of being actively religious, the fake-ness, and the convenience of certain rules.

I believe you can love God and follow a religion truly but you should question what the Bible says, and what religious leaders say because sometimes, it's bullshit. Some people take the bible too literally, and that is not healthy. God created us, but he also allowed us the choice in life through the use of Free Will.

Yeah Stabler - Im like that too. It sucks that a lot of people basically hate Christians and easily misunderstand/jump to conclusions without thinking it all through. Then again, a lot of "Christians" give us a bad name. I try to respect everybody's beliefs, and this is troublesome because we are expected/encouraged to spread the good news.

I'm Catholic (obviously). I'm fully practising, I try my best to follow everything my religion teaches, and I love learning more about my faith!

What supports my beliefs...Well, there's a lot of historical evidence for the existence of Jesus, of course, even from non-Christian historians. Lots of eye-witnesses (again, including non-Christians) who testify that they saw him being put to death, and who saw him alive afterwards. Biblical evidence that Christ made Peter the first Pope and established the Catholic Church. And also, just the fact that I agree with what the Church teaches, and the teachings all make a lot of sense.

xxx

Yeah Stabler - Im like that too. It sucks that a lot of people basically hate Christians and easily misunderstand/jump to conclusions without thinking it all through. Then again, a lot of "Christians" give us a bad name. I try to respect everybody's beliefs, and this is troublesome because we are expected/encouraged to spread the good news.

I just think that people need to accept religion but with an IQ above 70. So many people take the bible or their past or literally because they either don't understand, or live in fear. If the Bible said "Every Sunday at 4:00PM you must breakdance in a tutu", people would do it. People need to think for themselves.

Furthermore, people need to follow all the rules or none of the rules. It's very easy to pick and choose which rules you want to obey.

I believe in the correct religion. Hey, if I didn't think that, then I wouldn't believe in it :)

I'm an atheist. I think it's pretty clear that at least 60% of a person's belief comes from the way they were raised. Well my dad raised me to be an atheist. I never know what to say when people ask me to "support" my belief (or lack thereof) or "give proof." I'm not a scientist, so I can hardly give a flow of information to explain atheism like my dad can. I just am an atheist. Always have been. Believing in God, in my opinion, is no more understandable than believing in a flying, pink alligator with purple wings that puts lollipops under children's pillows. That may sound like a weird statement, but it's exactly how I feel and probably how most atheists feel. Asking me to "support" atheism is like asking me to support why I think ice cream is the best dessert in the world. It always tastes good! I don't know what else to say. lol.

@Sophie-Are you at all familiar with any philosophical proofs for the existence of God? (By "God" I don't mean the Christian God, or the Muslim God, or the Jewish God, ect..., but more what one might call the God of the Philosophers). I'm not saying this because I think those proofs can 100% prove the existence of God, but because I would be surprised if anyone who truly academically understood those proofs thought believing in the existence of God was at all comparable to believing in "a flying, pink alligator with purple wings that puts lollipops under children's pillows." It just isn't a good academic argument to say that.

@Sophie-Are you at all familiar with any philosophical proofs for the existence of God? (By "God" I don't mean the Christian God, or the Muslim God, or the Jewish God, ect..., but more what one might call the God of the Philosophers). I'm not saying this because I think those proofs can 100% prove the existence of God, but because I would be surprised if anyone who truly academically understood those proofs thought believing in the existence of God was at all comparable to believing in "a flying, pink alligator with purple wings that puts lollipops under children's pillows." It just isn't a good academic argument to say that.

No, it's not very academic, but I did that on purpose to say how I don't think that the concept of God (religion in general,) isn't any more academic. Of course I never meant any offense, even though I know it will be (understandably) taken no matter what, I was just trying to explain my beliefs. No, I am not familiar with philosophical proof on God, but I have never considered philosophy to be a true branch of science nor do I put much stock in it. Philosophy tries to find the meaning of life, and I am not at all surprised that some philosophers turned to the idea of God because they need an answer and God is always an easy answer to explain everything, just not an answer that is good enough for me. Not that I care about the meaning of life. Regardless, I simply have zero belief.

First of all, not all philosophers try to find meaning in life. In fact, some downright deny that life has meaning. Secondly, the proofs for the existence of God are incredibly academic. I'm not saying that the proofs being academic makes them true. I'm just saying that they are very academic. Similarly, there are academic arguments against the existence of God. The debate IS an academic one. I'm not saying you have to be interested in the academic debate. I'm just saying that it is wrong to pretend it is not an academic debate. Simiarly, it's wrong to think the concept of God is at all like "a flying, pink alligator with purple wings that puts lollipops under children's pillows."

Simiarly, it's wrong to think the concept of God is at all like "a flying, pink alligator with purple wings that puts lollipops under children's pillows."

Not to an atheist. To an atheist, a genderless (possibly male) deity in the sky that created a planet, animals, and communicates with humans via prayer (and may grant wishes) is a baffling concept.

Again, I don't intend to be pushy or mean. Just stating how I feel, and I understand if my opinions will be construed as offensive to some. But offense is never my intention.

I'm just saying that it is wrong to pretend it is not an academic debate.

I'm not pretending.

@Sophie-That's a terrible comparison, regardless of whether one is an atheist or not. Yes, some atheists probably say that, but that's because many people, whether they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, atheist, whatever, don't think through their beliefs all that much. Also, your definition of God is limited to religions like Christianity, Judaism, Islam, ect...The God of the Philosophers doesn't listen to prayers.

Also, I used the word "pretending" as a phrase. I don't think you're literally pretending. I'll be more direct. It is wrong to think it's not an academic debate. There are people of all beliefs, including atheism, who understand this.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to tell you because you're not familiar with the academic arguments for and against the existence of God. Also, you aren't familiar with what is meant by "God." You're just thinking "Christian God" or "Muslim God." If you were familiar with the topic AND you intellectually understood the topic you probably wouldn't think that believing in God is the same as believing in "a flying, pink alligator who puts candy under children's pillows."

Also, I'm not offended that you're an atheist. I simply think people should have a more academic reason for their belief. People shouldn't dismiss areas of study simply because they are not familiar with them or don't understand them. I don't understand how the human brain works, but that doesn't mean I say neurology isn't academic.

@Sophie-That's a terrible comparison, regardless of whether one is an atheist or not. Yes, some atheists probably say that, but that's because many people, whether they are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, atheist, whatever, don't think through their beliefs all that much. Also, your definition of God is limited to religions like Christianity, Judaism, Islam, ect...The God of the Philosophers doesn't listen to prayers.

Maybe it's a terrible comparison to you, but that is genuinely how I feel, therefore it is a good comparison to my beliefs and thoughts. You're right, I wasn't thinking of the God of Philosophers. I didn't know one existed, and frankly, it doesn't matter to me if one does or not.

1 person likes this

I am a follower of Christ; I do my best to live by the teachings of Jesus and to love God and others as he did. I believe that God is real and that he loves us. I was raised in this faith, but in my teenage years, my faith became my own thoughtful choice, based on my own study, observation, conviction, and experiences in the world.

Another point I would like to make, is that it is fully possible to be a genuinely good, kind-hearted person and go through the world acting with good intentions and kindness, without being religious.

1 person likes this

Another point I would like to make, is that it is fully possible to be a genuinely good, kind-hearted person and go through the world acting with good intentions and kindness, without being religious.

Yep, my best friend is an example of this. She's agnostic, and she is a wonderful, sweet, kind person with good ethics!

Alright Sophie. I'm not going to say much more because it's going to start to come across as insulting, even though I wouldn't mean it to be insulting so much as I would want to express my argument. If you want to simply base things off of "feelings" as opposed to academically and critically examining the issue then that is your choice. But, it makes it hard to take your thoughts on this matter seriously. This is the last I'm going to comment on this.

EDIT: I added "on this matter." I don't mean that I can't take any of your thoughts seriously. I'm just talking about in this specific instance.

-In good conscience I feel like I should admit that I had considered other posts that would have been more insulting. Some of that intent may have remained and leaked its way into this post. If this is so, I apologize. Or maybe I'm overreacting. I'm not retracting the point I'm making, but I do hope this makes it come across more diplomatically.

Edited by wny

Red,

I am a follower of Christ. I am born-again Christian. I am a Young Earth Creationist as well. I believe in a triune God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) that created everything from nothing in six literal days. God is our Creator. God don't need a cause. God is not man, (Numbers 23:19). In real sense, God created time - so everything has beginning and end.

Why this belief? I studied evolution and some religions. I have questioned the Bible. I have studied the Bible for more than 5 years (Book of Genesis 3 years). The Bible actually DO have all the answers what I need and for everyone. What supports? Overwhelmed yes - there are a lot of evidences that supports my belief. Actually, it is THE TRUTH. I believe in the truth - The Bible (biggest picture is Jesus Christ). Christianity is based on true faith, not blind faith. Other religions aren't quite same as Christianity. Why? Read below.

There are over 40 authors (through God the Holy Spirit) have written books and letters in 3 different languages (Hebrews, Aramaic, and Greek) and in different times and different places. It is about 2,000 years to take the whole together as one book. The Bible is an extraordinary work of literature, and it makes some astonishing claims. It records the details of the creation of the universe, the origin of life, the moral law of God, the history of man's rebellion against God, the historical details of God's work of redemption for all who trust in His Son Jesus, and everything is very detailed in Bible. If it is true Word of God, this has implications for all aspects of life: how we should live, why we exist, what happens when we die, and what our meaning and purpose is. Bible is truly Word of God.

Archeology confirms Bible.

Science confirms Bible.

History confirms Bible.

Everything we see confirms Bible.

The truth of the Bible is obvious to anyone willing to fairly investigate it. The Bible is uniquely self-consistent and extraordinarily authentic. There are a lot of people have some problems with the Bible or really hate this book because it has full of eyewtiness authors! It has changed the lives of millions of people who have placed their faith in Christ. It has been confirmed countless times by archeology and other sciences. The Bible is truly infallible Word of God.

Archeology confirms Bible.

Science confirms Bible.

History confirms Bible.

Everything we see confirms Bible.

The truth of the Bible is obvious to anyone willing to fairly investigate it. The Bible is uniquely self-consistent and extraordinarily authentic. There are a lot of people have some problems with the Bible or really hate this book because it has full of eyewtiness authors! It has changed the lives of millions of people who have placed their faith in Christ. It has been confirmed countless times by archeology and other sciences. The Bible is truly infallible Word of God.

Just wondering, what in archaeology confirms the bible? Shouldn't archaeology disprove it based on carbon dating? When do you believe the earth was made?

1 person likes this

Just wondering, what in archaeology confirms the bible? Shouldn't archaeology disprove it based on carbon dating? When do you believe the earth was made?

History doesn't conform with the Bible either, if you know enough about ancient history you can see where different gods came from. Many religions from the Middle East and North Africa often had the same types of gods due to their interaction with each other. Some tribes became monotheistic, while others stayed polytheistic. When Christianity was growing there were so many other religions almost just like it during the same time period that it started. 

Mirage the mistake with reading the bible , especially the book of genesis in English is that sometimes u dont get the full meaning of certain words. Ill give u an example. In the book of genesis it says the universe was created in 6 days. Now if the book of genius was originally written in English there would be a problem here. A closer look at the Hebrew shows that the word used here was YOM.

YOM can mean literal day or time period. I know this personally because in the lebanese language the word YOM is still used today and it can be used to describe either a literal day or u defined time period.

Now as far as archeology proving the bible , there has never been an archeological find that has discredited the bible, only finds that have proven the bible.

If you wanted to start somewhere as far as archeological finds, I would start with any of the digs from Sir William Ramsey.

Ramsey was a liberal theology believer that believed that the New Testament was written 250 years after the fact and set out on a multi year dig in turkey and the holy lands to prove this.

When he came back from his digs not only didnt he find any evidence to prove his theory but just the opposite , every dig proved to him that the New Testament was made in the time of the apostles, and he switched from a liberal theology view to a mainstream Christian view.

He was one of the too archeologists of his time and he came out of a German liberal,theology school that was highly Critical of Christianity and the New Testament in general and he called LUKE a historical scholar without equal as Luke's writing a of the history of that time was more accurate then even the best secular historians of that age.

1 person likes this

Oops, I was baptized a Melkite (eastern right catholic ), and received communion into the Roman Catholic Church when I was young.

In my twenties I studied different philosophies and religions because I wanted to know the word of God and not be a catholic because I was born into a catholic family.

I visited many different churches and services during this time, even read the Koran a little and read some eastern philosophy.

For me Christianity fit like a glove because ive always loves Christ, but at this point there are thousands of different churches . Which would I choose? The bible could be interpreted in many different ways and in fact it is today.

The key was when I started to read the writings of the apostolic fathers (the students of the apostles , like ignatius of Antioch, clement of rome and polycarp), and saw that they were totally catholic in their beliefs, this is what eventually strengthened my faith as a catholic and brought me back to the church I was born into.

As for why belief in Christianity , the historicity of the New Testament is greater then the historicity of any ancient document bar none, the genuine honest of the apostles words. The women finding the tomb empty first etc etc.

As for belief in God in general, the first cause argument is an excellent philosophical argument for God

Professor Peter Kreeft makes it so easy to understand

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics/first-cause.htm

We also had a personal miracle in the family in that my grandfather was literally saved from being murdered in Egypt by seven men by an angelic being.

Now the shroud of turin isn't part of the foundation of my faith but it has brought many people to Christ.

I have researched the shroud for 5 years and there isn't much I don't know about it.

As for the spiritual realm, even the government has said that remote viewing (out if body experiences)have been provenby the standards of science. Veridical Nde's show a basic survival of the soul outside of the body that can be corroborated by outside witnesses.

The is more evidence for the spiritual realm now then ever before in the history of man.

Seek and u shall find

But above all else Christ is first a heart thing for me, his love draws me to him like a magnet.

I guess that's a basic explanation lol

1 person likes this

History doesn't conform with the Bible either, if you know enough about ancient history you can see where different gods came from. Many religions from the Middle East and North Africa often had the same types of gods due to their interaction with each other. Some tribes became monotheistic, while others stayed polytheistic. When Christianity was growing there were so many other religions almost just like it during the same time period that it started.

EWZ, this misconception is spread around primarily by the movie zeitgeist and its premises are not believed by any of the credible mainstream historians . This is Hollywood history. Even the major Egyptologists don't believe this as well as atheist New Testament critical scholars , and not even by the Jesus seminary which is way out in left field .

Here is a great video by an expert in this area doctor mark Foreman which shows that Christianity and the ancient Egyptian religions have almost nothimg in common and as far as pagan religions , most of them borrowed from Christianity and not the other way around.

I spent a few years checking this stuff out.

This video will explain what scholars have found about Christianity and the ancient Egyptian religions .

See for yourself if they are comparable in any way. :)

1 person likes this