Guest Kavya

How do you respond to someone who says, "You're wasting your life"?

31 posts in this topic

I don't drink, smoke and of course no sex till marriage. Some people said to me I'm wasting my life as this is the age to have fun and enjoy. .

3 people like this

Excessive drinking and smoking are bad for your health and can decrease your life span. Being drunk can cause you to do stupid and horrific things. Indiscriminate sex can lead to disease/pregnancy/abortion and hurt your heart and soul deep inside. You are not wasting your life, you are caring for yourself more than most people do :).

11 people like this

Haha you can tell them that their going to burn in hell for all the sinning their doing!!!! :P Lol am just kidding dont say that.

I would personally say I'm living my life in a way that I wont have any regrets when I die. I wana live a life where I can be a role model to my children. Were I can tell them I never did drugs, drank and wtm!!!!

Plus if that was a friend who told you that you should probably seperate urself from them.

Best of luck!

6 people like this

Ooooo that's a good one! I should add "You're wasting your life" to one of our lists of common arguments against waiting. I've definitely heard that before.

The way I look at it, I will remember two things at the end of my life:

1. Time spent with people I care about

2. Things I added to the world

Drinking, drugs, etc. don't really fall under either of those two. I've had plenty of fun times at the bar with friends, but it's the friends and the conversations I remember fondly...not the being messed up part. CLOSENESS with members of the other sex does fall under #1, but I don't think sex has to.

I think your friends are right that you should be out there forming happy memories right now, but it's up to you to define what happiness is to you!

9 people like this

My response: I would rather have a better future. This age is suppose to be fun, but it can also ruin your life. I know people who have ruined future careers because they would rather do drugs/have sex/drink. Now they will be lucky to hold a decent job, let alone reach their dreams. It doesn't happen to everyone who "has fun" this way, but why even risk it.

2 people like this

These people are right: This is indeed the age to have fun and enjoy (not that you can´t have fun later on in your life...but you know what I mean ;-) ).

So you should do things that are fun to YOU and that YOU enjoy. You would need to be having fun in something if you would regret not doing it :)

You would only waste your life, if you would never do the things you always wanted to and which are actually important to you.

If those things you mentioned above aren´t fun and enjoyable for you, don´t do them. Forget what everybody else around you does. But don´t lock yourself up from all these people who like to drink something or take a smoke either, I would say. You can still have a good time with smokers or drinkers (if it´s not excessive and agressive, of course). Sometimes it can be even fun to watch other people get wasted and the next day you are the only one who actually remembers the embarrassments of the others the night before ;)

So I mean, you can´t just erase smokers or drinkers out of your life completely (sometimes you just get together in a group with very very different people, for example...friends of friends or whatever...), so you have to make the best of it.

You just need to have the courage and self-confidence to stand out and say "No". And if those people can´t accept you the way you are and seriously think that you waste your life, then they probably aren´t the best to hang out with. Just like TheWanderingChef said.

Hope I didn´t sound preachy. Wasn´t my intention ;)

Good luck to you and I hope you have loads of fun and enjoyment! But fun, that´s actually fun to you :)

I think your friends are right that you should be out there forming happy memories right now, but it's up to you to define what happiness is to you!

Very true :-)

1 person likes this

Say you're shortening yours, and know you're way is better people who wait have better stats after marriage all around, and you aren't wasting anything, you're saving yourself from bad things and waiting for good ones it's what any wise person would do, well I shouldn't say that cause some people don't want to do those things but they do anyhow cause they get roped in at an early age.

Kailey pretty much hit the high points. Large majority of patients I wind up seeing in the hospital have chronic diseases from alcohol or tobacco use, and the STD infection rate is significant too. You're not wasting anything. You're prolonging and cherishing it.

They're just jealous anyway.

3 people like this

I like what Dasboy1 said, that you're not wasting your life, you're saving it. What are the positive results from habitually indulging in these things? None. Some people would say that it is fun. It may be fun and give you a thrill for a while but what are the long term consequences? In addition to what others have already said, there's lung cancer, accidents that can happen while drunk, cirrhosis and so many more. Is it really wise to have fun for a few years and then have to worry for your health your whole life?

If abstaining from things that usually result in serious and painful consequences means that I'm "wasting" my life, I will gladly waste it. Time will really tell who's wasting and who's gaining.

4 people like this

I don't drink, smoke and of course no sex till marriage. Some people said to me I'm wasting my life as this is the age to have fun and enjoy. .

Girl, I am in the same boat as you and I love life. If anyone told me I was wasting my life I would shrug my shoulders and say "I'm having a pretty fantastic time, thank you very much". As long as you are happy doing what you want to do, how can anyone say you are wasting your life?

2 people like this

I think this is obvious, but it's always YOUR life. YOU make your own choices. If you don't have the desire to go out and party when you're young, that's great! You might save yourself some trouble while you're at it. If you enjoy doing whatever it is you're doing and you're also taking care of your responsibilities, then you're not wasting anything!

Well it is the age to have fun. Not that fun should stop when you are older. What's fun to some isn't fun to others. I wouldn't lecture them about their health or other choices just keep doing you, and if you can go out more with people who do the things you like to do. When you go out make sure you are having fun ( I don't mean you have to drink, smoke, or have sex etc), but don't be the wallflower or spend so much time worrying about what you shouldn't be doing. I did that as a teen and early 20s and ended up missing out on good clean funtimes because I was so worried about being good. If they see you smiling, laughing, and having a goodtime if they are your real friends they won't pressure you to change , and just be happy you are happy.

It really depends on the circumstances. If it were in response to my refusal to sleep around, I'd just roll my eyes and make a joke about the wonders of syphilis. However, if I were accused of wasting my life after having just been observed alphabetizing my comics or building a leaning tower of Cheez-Its, then I would nod in agreement and request a hug.

4 people like this

I'd say "Stay out of MY business". Who are they to comment on how YOU want to live YOUR life? I just ignore those people.

I would rather live to be 60 and have an incredible life, than live to be 100 and be afraid to go outside, but more importantly, I would rather live to be 60 knowing I never compromised what was most important to me, than live to be 100 and have had sex with so many people that I couldn't count.

I do believe that true love exists. Not fairytale, Hollywood, fake movie love. Love that enables two people to put aside a world of difference and come together looking forward. This type of love has to exist. Challenge, change, and hard work notwithstanding, it has to be out there.

Psh, they are wasting their breath. I know that I'm not and if I'm letting them live their life as they see fit, why can't they do the same for me?

1 person likes this

Everyone here pretty much wrote my view on this matter! I know how you feel because not only do I not drink, smoke, or have sex but I've also never gone on a date, kissed anyone, or even cursed. Seriously, I've never said a curse word, mainly because I feel it's an unneccesary thing to add to one's vocabulary. There are more intelligent, colorful ways to insult people! :P Plus, I'm an anime fan so people think I've wasted my life from that too, so in their eyes I must be one heck of a loser! But you know what? I'm not. I graduated as Valedictorian from my high school, I have best friends who I couldn't live without, I'm working toward my career path, and I've had some of the most exciting times of my life just spending my life doing things like visiting amusement parks, going to conventions, playing video games with friends (Halo and Mario ftw), going to the city and spending the day shopping and sight-seeing, and chilling out with my BFFs. A wasted life? I certainly don't have one! You only waste your life when you do things you don't want to, or don't take opportunities to broaden your world. As long as you're happy with your life and the decisons you've made, then THAT'S what counts!

Wasting your life for being someone who is WTM? That's just silly.

Like many of you have noted, particularly Lovely, as long as you're happy with how your life has so far progressed, and see yourself being happy in the future, then you're in no way wasting your life. Life's too short to worry about everything, and you'll quickly learn (For you youngins) that life is remarkably spontanious. Heck, you might meet the person you've been waiting for tomorrow!

Keep your chin up knowing that no life is a wasted life; if we all lived the same way, this world would be a boring place!

1 person likes this

I would tell them it's my life to waste. 

No matter how you live someone is going to think you are doing it wrong. There just comes a point where it shouldn't matter if they find it a waste, so long as you think it is right.