Sophie

Do you have any tips for losing weight?

18 posts in this topic

This isn't a New Year's Resolution thing, I just feel like I should lose some weight to get into a more healthy range (like a size 8-10 rather than my current size 12-14.)

1. I can not afford a gym (I'm 19 and have no income)

2. Winter where I currently live gets VERY cold and snowy (so I can't do my long walks like I love doing in spring and fall.)

Any ideas on healthy foods? Snacks? Just any tips would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Hi Sophie

Here r a few tips:-

1.Buy Zumba n do it at least 4tyms a week

2.Eat fruits n veggies wen u r hungry

3.Drink juices as compared to sodas

4.Snack on nuts

5.Drink lots of water

All de best wit ur weight loss

All the above is a great recommendation! I want to second the no soda one. Soda is really bad for you even if you don't need to lose weight. I never drink it anymore. I don't even like the taste of it after not drinking it for so long.

Also, don't let yourself eat past the feeling of being full. Take much smaller portions, so you don't have to feel like you need to finish everything on your plate, and try to cut out sauces and butters and toppings. They are what makes gourmet food so delicious, but they are where all those extra fats and calories come from.

2 people like this

Okay, I recently decided to do the same thing to get healthier and here is what I did:

• I started drinking flavored sparkling water, my favorite is Deer Park orange/lime. It is just water with a little natural flavor in it (no artificial flavors or anything like that). I limit my soda to when I eat out, which is rare, it is a treat for me then :)-I pretty much now just drink water and milk.
  • Be aware of the calories you are eating and kind of count them up during the day-if you are trying to lose weight it is best to reduce them. This article helped me a lot http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/lose-weight-fast-how-to-do-it-safely .
  • To cut down on calories, it really helped me to limit my drinks to mostly water through out the day and to eat Healthy Choice meals (or similar type brands) for lunch every day. Make sure you fit in your favorites to the daily calorie intake you decide on. Me, I love chocolate, so I buy a bag of M&Ms or small Hershey's and eat just a few every day-you can't feel like you are missing out on what you love or the change to a healthier way of eating won't work. Just work in your own favorites weekly/daily.
  • I have always loved vegetables so I have no problem eating them, I hope you do too! Sometimes for dinner I will mix corn , salsa, garlic, cheddar, and sometimes chicken all together-that's really good. It is also good to mix Italian green beans, marinara, garlic, mozzarella, and chicken (can you tell I like the flavor of garlic?). Just think about the flavors you like, what vegetables taste good with that flavor and mix it up! It doesn't have to be precise or measured out-just do it to your taste. You don't have to mix it all together either, I just like to do that for some reason :)! Chicken is probably the meat I eat the most.
  • If you can, get a treadmill! I had been wanting one for over a year when I purchased mine earlier this year. It was only about $300, which sounds like a lot, but compared to everything else out there it was a great deal. Now, instead of sitting on my butt while watching TV, I walk. I also bought a woman's dumbbell set (made by Tone Fitness in purple, pink, and green-what girl doesn't want pretty colors, right?). You could also dance to music, walk/run up and down stairs, or get a workout video (I know I wouldn't be successful with doing a video myself, so choose wisely).
  • Do squats and lunges, but make sure you are doing them correctly. This article was helpful to me http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/know-your-basics-how-do-lunge . If you are not used to doing anything like these, you will be in some pain, so take it slow and take some ibuprofen if you need to. Make sure you read the tips on doing them correctly, you don't want to put too much pressure on your knees. It is important to build muscle tone because then your body burns more calories on its own.

Doing all of this, I have lost weight, and I feel SO MUCH BETTER! It is sometimes hard to get on my treadmill, but I feel so alive after I finish, it's a great feeling :D ^_^! Hope some of these tips help :)!

2 people like this

I have a few suggestions:

1. Bring self control. Talk hard to yourself not to use food as escape

2. While the above step is really hard, have something low-calorie to munch between meals.

3. Eat less oil, butter, ice cream and stuff like that.

4. Eat more green veggies like cabbage, beans, spinach preferably steamed or cooked with less oil.

1 person likes this

Everyone has had good suggestions so far but ill add a couple:

-If possible drink water most of the time. In addition to having zero calories staying hydrated aids in weight loss.

-Avoid sugar or things made with a lot of it. You can't avoid it completely but cutting down will help. I'm not talking about the natural sugar you get from an apple or banana, I'm talking about refined, processed white sugar found in cookies, candy, sugary cereals, donuts, soft drinks, etc. Very unhealthy and is a major contributor to diseases like diabetes. Processed sugar also adds pounds like crazy.

3 people like this

This isn't a New Year's Resolution thing, I just feel like I should lose some weight to get into a more healthy range

Hi Sophie. First thing.. you say you want to get more into the healthy range :) well.. can I say you're in good hands.. okay first rule.. there is no such thing is diets. Nor the 10 day workout plan getting toned. Remember.. eating healthy is a lifestyle. The first day wont be bad.. but the second day you want to go back to the old routine.. and thats where you must be headstrong. I give you 1 week to eat healthy.. and when you pass that boot camp.. thumbs up :) And remember, in the beginning you will loose weight, but dont eat unhealthy or aka rubbish food during that period.. why .. because your metabolism start to change. As fast as you loose weight, as fast you will gain weight too... so be headstrong :)

Okay some tips you want.

You said, you cant afford a gym.. you dont need to go to a gym to trim that waistline. What you can do to tone your body is, do jump squads, lunges, wall squads, normal squads. You can do all these at your home.. YES!! you read it correctly.. at your home .. you can do it without weights too. If you can get dumbbells its good. In your first, do things very slowly and not over the top. Dont force your body. In week two, increase your repetitions.

Here is a sample. Do 50 [reps] of squads = that's one set. You do 3 sets. Between sets you rest for 1 minute. You can find plenty of exercise programs on the net. Like I said, you can do all those things without weights. If you ever hit the gym, never ever USE THE SMITH MACHINE. Why.. its bad. Free weights are way better. A smith machine has no resistance. You develop weak muscles.

About eating.. like Dodge said.. stay away from refined processed sugar. Bad bad.. very bad. Don't even try to substitute it with artificial sugar.. just as bad. Artificial sugar has no calories, but did you know artificial sugar stay in your system for 4 days. Yeap.. where plain sugar aka surcrose go directly into your blood [hence the spikes you get].

What Kailey mentioned regarding the flavoured sparkling water. MMmmm Im not a fan of it. Why.. it might look harmless, but it has an artificial taste. And my common sense telling me, artificial tastes has sucrolose or acesulfame k or asparteme in. So again.. big no no. If you want drink something.. drink water. If you want something sweet... buy fruit juice and dilute it with water.

When you eat food.. stay away from processed food. [any kind of process food.. even the ones in the supermarkets] .. when you look at your plate.. separate your plate in half, and separate the other half as well. The half side of your plate MUST be veggies. the other quarter must be your protein an the other one again your carbs [like potatoes and rice etc etc]. If you want to ask more.. be free to ask :)

7 people like this

I started drinking flavored sparkling water, my favorite is Deer Park orange/lime. It is just water with a little natural flavor in it (no artificial flavors or anything like that).

Kailey.. can I ask.. this flavoured sparkling water you like.. you sure it has no artificial sweeteners in? Can I ask a favour, can you send or tell me what they wrote on the label please.. *the ingredients* Im just little bit curious :)

Eugene keep preachin' it brotha!! :D He's dead right on everything he said.

Hehehe.. well you can help me preach too Dodge :D

1 person likes this

I agree with everyone's tips, they're great! What has specifically worked for me so far to lose a few pounds and maintain my weight is:

- Cut down on breads, fat, sugar and any other thing that has wheat in it (wheat, even "whole" wheat is not good for our bodies because the plant has been genetically manipulated since the 1960's. Eating two slices of whole wheat bread is the same as eating two tablespoons of sugar. For more info see: http://www.huffingto..._b_1274872.html)

- Eat more veggies, beans, fruits, nuts and seeds (the last three are great, nutritious snacks).

- Always eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks in between (if you eat healthy snacks like granola, nuts, etc. you won't be so hungry during meals and you'll eat less).

- As others have said, drink a lot of water instead of sodas and fruit juices from the supermarket (they're full of sugar and preservatives and don't have a lot of vitamins).

- Reduce your intake of salt in meals because too much salt makes you retain water, which makes your body bloat, which makes you look and feel fatter :wacko:

- Select a day of the week (only one) where you can eat anything you want. This helps you satisfy any cravings you have of junk food and the calories don't really matter because it's only one day.

As for exercising, in youtube there are tons of great videos that you can do in your own room without any equipment. First start out with a cardio routine that helps you burn calories and fat from your whole body and accelerates your heartbeat. Then do exercises that target each body part: upper body, lower body and abs. If you're interested in seeing these videos, I can give you - and anyone else who wants them - the links of the ones I already have.

1 person likes this

A low carb, high protein diet has worked wonders for me. I've stuck with it for over a year and a half now, and thus far it's the only effective diet I've ever attempted.

1 person likes this

Wow, so many replies! Thank you all for your fantastic advice and support, I really appreciate it. :)

2 people like this

Kailey.. can I ask.. this flavoured sparkling water you like.. you sure it has no artificial sweeteners in? Can I ask a favour, can you send or tell me what they wrote on the label please.. *the ingredients* Im just little bit curious :)

It definitely doesn't have anything fake in it, I can't stand fake flavors or fake sugar :)-too bad there is no yuck face!

http://www.deerparkwater.com/#/products/sparkling

It's bottled under different names in the USA-where my sister lives I think it is Poland Spring.

The ingredients are: Spring water, natural flavors, CO2

Great thread!

Good to know we have so many healthy WTMers here! This is info I'm sure we can all use!

I think I'll go have a glass of water now!

:P

3 people like this

It definitely doesn't have anything fake in it, I can't stand fake flavors or fake sugar :)-too bad there is no yuck face!

http://www.deerparkwater.com/#/products/sparkling

It's bottled under different names in the USA-where my sister lives I think it is Poland Spring.

The ingredients are: Spring water, natural flavors, CO2

Kailey.. I look at the website.. and give you and the product thumbs up. Everything is natural. Even Chuck Norris approves it heheh..

chuck-norris-approved.png

2 people like this

Don't eat anything after 6 pm (this is like the fastest way to lose weight that I know of) Once I did this for a week and lost 2 kg lol no joke. It works lol

Don't deprive yourself of the food you like. Just eat in moderation and exercise well.