Invincible

What is your view about gamer guys?

21 posts in this topic

I'm asking the ladies specifically because it seems it is primarily a female frustration when it comes to their guys' gaming either too much or at all. Yes there are many girls into video games, but no guy every complains about gamer girls, in fact we find it very sexy.

Even though video games are more mainstream nowadays, I feel like a lot of people, especially women have still have this negative view on video games as a sign of immaturity or a childish hobby. I know that it's a common complaint that many guys spend way too much time gaming instead of spending time with her. It's easy to pass judgment on something you don't understand if you're not into them in the same way it's easy for a guy to think it's ridiculous that some women have 50 pairs of shoes.

As a gamer myself, allow me to defend the value of video games for a moment. The Supreme Court of the United States and various big name art organizations recognize video games as a legitimate form of art with legal protection under freedom of speech and expression. While many would dispute the artistic value in them. I can't think of another medium that could potentially match video games in terms of immersion. Music is only experienced with the ears, books are only experienced with the mind, movies are only experienced with the eyes. Video games on the other hand, can be experienced in all these manners at the same time. In addition, you control the experience with your hands. There are some games that have remarkably relatable characters, an amazing musical score and an emotionally charged story with themes relating to the human condition. With this in mind, I truly believe it is the most immersive medium art.

Any ways, I guess what I'm asking is how would you feel if your guy was a gamer? Is it a dealbreaker for you or would you respect it as a hobby assuming it was in moderation?

5 people like this

I honestly, don't care if my guy would be a gamer or not. Actually, I'd prefer him to be, so we can play together! :) As long as he doesn't spend 24/7 with his consoles, and doesn't get all agressive or defensive, I think it's hot. :)

4 people like this

Couples who play together stay together.

But no, seriously, when its taken to an obsessive extreme, that's the point in which its unattractive. I've seen gaming destroy relationships. I have seen all type of addictions destroy relationships of all kinds.

You know, this is just one of those things girls will complain about if they don't like it. Like girls will complain about their man watching football all the time if she doesn't like sports. Plus its one of those things that guys really immerse themselves in and girls hate it when they aren't getting attention. Though I have seen guys snap at their gf/wife for interrupting them.

I honestly don't know why some people view video games as childish or immature. I don't really see that connection. I don't see how it is any different than perhaps playing chess, or watching tv, or reading. If playing games are immature/childish why aren't those activities also immature/childish?

I think guys should try to get their gf/wife involved if they find that she's being all sulky about video games. Like try to find girl friendly or casual games so that you both can play together (unless she's a gamer girl because in that case she won't need girly or casual games and most likely she'll have games of her own). And girls should be more open-minded and maybe play every once in a while.

4 people like this

There are some games that have remarkably relatable characters, an amazing musical score and an emotionally charged story with themes relating to the human condition. With this in mind, I truly believe it is the most immersive medium art.

Yup. Some of gaming classics have amazing storylines. I've played through Prince of Persia, the Sands of Time. That was just a brilliant game. They didn't quite wait until marriage though... :lol:

I am in Australia now and I do not have my video game consoles. I am actually craving a video game now that I have been deprived. The first thing I am going to do when I get back home is get on my PS2 (I'm old school). I'm actually a RPG type of girl due to the amount of strategic thinking it takes (like FF) so I can literally play all day (if I don't have anything else to do) and into the night if I am at a high point in the game. Obviously I would not mind a gamer. As long as he wasn't on it 24/7 (like an actual addiction) I would be fine. He would have to have a balance between his profession/life and his hobbies (like anyone else); too much and it would be a deal breaker. Now if we could play together all day on the weekend when we do not have work or other obligations that would be great.

Video games on the other hand, can be experienced in all these manners at the same time. In addition, you control the experience with your hands. There are some games that have remarkably relatable characters, an amazing musical score and an emotionally charged story with themes relating to the human condition. With this in mind, I truly believe it is the most immersive medium art.

Exactly. I think the idea of video/computer games is one of our more unique and wonderful new inventions. To think that these games are relatively young in the scheme of things. 30 years at most?

Coming as a moderate gamer myself, I wouldn't mind in the slightest. As long as it was in moderation. But that applies to everything for me. If my boyfriend read books all day and never spoke to me that would be just as difficult to overcome as him playing video games all day. If he plays them, as I do, in a healthy hobby oriented way I would have no problem with it.

3 people like this

I've never played a video game in my life. No exaggeration here: I have never even touched one of those remote thingys. I have never played games online either. The truth is, I couldn't be less interested in them and I have no intention of playing one. I don't care if a guy I date enjoys them, but if they are very important to him, I think that would not be good because usually you want your partner to have the same interests in you and his gaming would end up driving me insane. Like if I was a passionate vegetarian and he loved meat, that would cause lots of issues with choosing restaurants, and eating at home, etc (not a vegetarian, just fyi.) It would be even worse if I were vegan. If gaming just a hobby on the side, I don't care, but if he plays enough to be called a "gamer," then I think it would cause mutual interest problems.

It would not be a deal-breaker, but we would have to have many other things in common. And he can in no way be obsessed or addicted to them.

Just going to throw this out there, but it is very possible to play a lot of video games and have a stable, happy relationship. It all depends on how you prioritize. For example, my last girlfriend knew I played a lot of video games, however, she also knew I loved her more than I loved video games. Therefore if we were going to spend time together, she could always count on me to be there.

I know personally people who have lost significant others over video games and it's sad, but sometimes it's life.

I think I would only have a massive problem if my man was a gamer if he spent every living moment on the console. If it becomes an obsession to the point that he ignores me for a game on a machine then yes I would feel hurt and frustrated. But if it's just something that he spends a reasonable amount of time on and it doesn't take over his life then I don't see where the problem is.

2 people like this

All things in moderation. I have no problem with a guy being a gamer as long as the games don't come before God, me and/or his way of life (career, etc.) I mean, I'm sure guys wouldn't be too happy if we always picked shoe shopping over time with them. I really couldn't stand staying in all the time to play games and never going out to experience other things. Having said that, I have played video games with guys before and it can be quite fun. One time, a guy took the time to teach me how to play one of his games and I thought it was super sweet because he cared enough to teach me about something that he enjoyed and allowed me to be a part of it.

6 people like this

I've never even touched a video game console.

But I like playing board games (chess, Monopoly). I'm sure it's a fun thing for married couples to do.

2 people like this

I always loved playing board games. I think it would be a nice bonding experience for anyone in a relationship. Board games should definitely be played before marriage!

3 people like this

A here,

When I was looking for a boyfriend, one of my requirements was that he had to play video games :P (not like that was difficult to find in every guy). And M definitely meets my hopes. We both love video games and it's fun to play together, brings out a competitiveness and good-natured fight to win (whether we play on the same team or against each other).

And board games are fun. Chess is as much a game of the mind games as it is a game of strategy (they go hand in hand really); and boy, when you know your SO's mind inside out, things get really interesting!

1 person likes this

I have a problem with guys (even my own father) who spend all of their time on video games. However i don't mind a guy playing in moderation. My boyfriend is a gamer, but he still spends time with me, and i enjoy sitting back and watching him play. And it's nice bonding time when we find a game that we both like and get to play together.

If he manages to make time for me, I guess it would be okay. As long as they aren't obsessed.

I'm ok with it in moderation. Not going to lie, it's been something my boyfriend and I have fought over more than once. He does get "sucked in" to a game sometimes after work but we all have hobbies where that happens. For me it's books! I am not a gamer, so I don't understand. He's tried to get me into it and I have tried to be more interested, but it's just not my thing. However, I do keep an open mind and listen to whatever he has to say about them. Some games do have great story lines and I also think it's great he uses them to bond with his brothers. In my opinion some of the games he plays are a little immature, but it's something we have learned to agree to disagree on. I have my hobbies he doesn't understand too so I always keep that in mind.

Everyone needs a stress release from daily worries. Plus I understand how frustrating it is not to get past a certain level but at some point sitting of your backside leads to a whole list of issues. Relationship and health wise

A guy playing video games is like a girl doing her nails for 6 hours (no joke, personal experience). Its a stress reliever! Now if my man played video games 24/7 Id be annoyed, but I dont care if he does! I even bought him some game stuff for Christmas. haha. I dont believe its wrong as long as its not excessive. For instance, buying something is fine but excessively buying can lead to a lot of issues!