Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matthew

My dear Bagginses and Boffins, Tooks and Brandybucks, and Grubbs, Chubbs, Hornblowers, Bolgers, Bracegirdles, Goodbodies, Brockhouses and Proudfoots!

28 posts in this topic

Hello! Sorry about the title, I'm a little too excited about this Friday. Anyway, I've been--as many new users say--browsing this site for a while, reluctant to join for a couple reasons. First, I know this isn't a dating site, and I didn't want to join with the ill-intent of using it as such. More than that though, my social anxiety--self diagnosis; I'm no shrink--seems to extend to the internet, and I tend to be slow to put myself on display. When I do though, I can be a bit wordy; so to avoid that, I'm going to use bullet points! I'll try to make this as personal and impersonal as appropriate. So, here goes:

Who I am

• Matthew, 20 yr old male, virgin
  • Raised Baptist Christian
  • Pretty much agnostic now; still open to religion/Christianity
  • 100% set on waiting. I don't want to have sex with a girl I don't love completely and with whom I am not completely comfortable; and if that's the case, I've probably already proposed to/married her.
  • Been playing the piano for a few years and love it (though I'm terribly, TERRIBLY slow at learning pieces)
  • Play video games a bit too much
  • Studying mechanical engineering at university

Why I'm here

• Meet others who are virgins and/or waiting for marriage
  • Encouragement
  • Social activity! I really need to get out more. Maybe this can be a starting point

Well, that's me, basically. A little longer/more personal than intended. Apologies. There seem to be a lot of great people on this site; hopefully I'll stick around and not retreat back into my comfort zone, as I'm prone to do. :)

Cheers,
matthew

1 person likes this

Hey, good morning & welcome! I enjoyed reading your intro and getting to know you more - sometimes people don't, actually I don't think I made an intro when I joined, lol.

I love that whole thing about defiantly, it irks me when people get that wrong! I'm glad u are at least open minded to religion :-) I grew up in a baptist household as well

Anyway, we're pretty cool people, if u ever need us for anything, you know what URL were at. :-) gotta rush to school! See ya!

Welcome Matthew! You'll definitely find encoueagement here! :) as far as social stuff, we have a chat feature that people are on almost 24/7! Haha

1 person likes this

Welcome to the site! I'm guessing your superfluous title refers to Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series, which I've never read or seen any of the films. But based on the amazingness of the names you've mentioned, I should check it out!

Welcome Matthew. What an attention grabbing thread title you have there!

I have Social Anxiety as well and I usually don't join social networking sites and such, but this is one friendly, open-minded, and supportive community. Being yourself and posting freely will come naturally because like I said, this is a great community.

I have a similar background. Raised baptist but now I'm something different (I don't really like to put a label on it because I haven't found a word that accurately describes my religious beliefs). I'm a gamer too and I study mechanical engineering technology (as a minor).

Anyway, see you around! Post post post post post post post!

Hi Matthew! Welcome to the site; I hope you'll find this forum to be a place of support and encouragement to WTM :)

1 person likes this

Hello and welcome Matthew (that's a very nice name) :) I love the title, I am obsessed with the Lord of the rings and am also excited about this Friday to see "The Hobbit" (Even more excited about the other two parts of it that'll follow lol). As you can tell, I tend to blabber on lol. Anyway, nice intro, and welcome :)

Thanks for all the replies!

@redyellowblue: are you still baptist? I say open-minded, but I've been pretty lazy in my "seeking." I need to work on it.

@markb4: yep, that's it. It's a quote from Bilbo's speech in The Fellowship. I definitely recommend the movies, and the books if you're into that genre, though the series requires a certain amount of trudging (I admit, I never finished it, though I mean to someday).

@Sweety: wow, we seem to have a lot in common. Thanks for the encouragement and I'll do my best to keep posting! I can't label myself either, really, but because I'm not sure right now what to believe.

@April: thanks! As is yours. And same here. I honestly didn't know there would be TWO more parts until recently. I'll probably re-read The Hobbit sometime soon. That's perfectly fine. I do too, apparently, once I get going. lol

Thanks again!

Welcome! :) I have fond memories of watching the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy with my brother one Christmas break! I am not a super fan, but definitely enjoyed them. Glad you have this new series of movies to look forward to :).

1 person likes this

Welcome! Mechanical engineering is a good degree, since you can work in a wide variety of industries with it.

1 person likes this

Hey Welcome to the site, LOVE Your title.. Im actually from New Zealand.. so i love lord of the rings hahah :) I hope you enjoy the site. :)

Haha, I can imagine it being big there. I've never had a huge desire to travel the world or anything, but if I ever do, New Zealand will be at the top of my list; so many beautiful landscapes!

1 person likes this

Hi Matt.. welcome to the WTM family. I can see that you have an engineer mind... because of the bullet form. You also a perfectionist?

I consider myself still a baptist, but have to admit ive gotten lazy on my faith - working on making that right :)

Sometimes time away from something can help you really understand it.

@eugene: Thanks. I can be at times, though it's much less stressful not to be. lol

@redyellowblue: that's certainly true. I wish you the best in that :). Also, I'm from Tennessee! We moved away when I was a kid. Miss it sometimes.

Hi Matthew - welcome to the site indeed. it takes a lot of courage to step up to the plate and speak who you are and why this site seems to connect for you - everyone who takes the step you did of introducing yourself has that bravery and anxiety-filled nervousness all at the same time :-)

You'll find the full range here - but all dedicated to the idea of truly waiting and not being with someone until it's the one to spend the rest of the lives together with. :-)

welcome -

ian

2 people like this

Welcome, Matthew! I haven't been around as much, lately because of work + Christmas/the holidays and it is a mad house. But you will like it, here. Tons of encouragement, tons of diversity, and I believe that we all truly care about one another. If only the real world were more like us. :) I also want to commend you on your grammar! Hahahaha I'm honestly kind of a nerd, and I love that you used proper grammar and actually have a vocabulary. Fabulous. :) Hang in there, and we'll see ya around!

Thanks, RJ! I already like it here :). Haha, thanks. I actually feel like I should tone it down on the internet, that it's annoying, but it goes against my every fiber! I'm glad someone appreciates it. :)

Haha I'll always appreciate proper grammar & a decent vocabulary! I think 6 years of pre-AP & AP English classes set the standard for that.

1 person likes this

Welcome, Matthew! Guess I actually said that last night in the chat, but why not again! Actually, you'll be surprised how many people on here are just like you, not only in WTM, but in their personal stories. Everyone's really nice and you're never judged. I think a lot of people struggle with their faith at some point. I'm not a pastor or anything, but if you ever have a question, I'm happy to try and answer! God's blessings to you and again, welcome!

1 person likes this

hi Matthew! welcome!! this site makes me feel less alone in waiting, especially since university life isn't exactly conducive to waiting 'til marriage, haha. we all know it's hard to find others who are the same.

1 person likes this

Hey Matthew, welcome to the site :). This is a good group of like-minded people who will support you in your decision to wait. I'm sure you will fit right in.

I can relate with your point about the piano. I have been playing guitar for a couple of years now, and it also take me a while to learn pieces too. I also love the instrument.

1 person likes this

Welcome Matthew! Hope you are enjoying it on the site so far. By the way, I loved the title- there's nothing wrong with being overly excited that it's Friday!

1 person likes this