Invincible

Do you require certain gender roles from a significant other

18 posts in this topic

Ladies, do you expect your guy to do things like fix things, be the breadwinner, be a leader, be physically strong, etc.?

Guys, do you want your girl to cook well, stay at home with the kids, be super girly, etc.?

Or do gender roles not matter to you at all?

1 person likes this

As much as I generally downplay the differences between men and women, there probably are a few things that I would prefer my wife be more traditionally feminine about.

1.) I have specific plans about how to deal with finances and I would like my wife to let me create the budget. She can have input and if she has ideas that are better than mine that is fine, but overall it would have to conform to my general plan. It's not that I think men are better with money than women. I just really like my plan.

2.) I don't want a wife who dresses very masculine. I don't mean I want her in a dress at all times. I just mean I don't want her to wear what in 21st century society we generally consider to he more masculine clothing.

I'm thinking there might be one or a few more things I'm not thinking of right now.

1 person likes this

um I don't really care as long as she isn't like over the top manly, like my ex could work on cars a little bit and I found that really attractive, but she could also pull off a pretty dress so..

2 people like this

Well as a man yes I want to date and marry a woman.

Femininity is definately a turn on. I love a woman who can cook (and I don't mean frozen or out of boxes, packets etc), knows what an iron is and how to use one and not just looks after our children but is a fantastic mother. I would want her to stay at home with our children while they are very young (I've never understood people who say they want a family then pay other people to raise their children) because young children need their mummy. I definately prefer women who dress feminine... Although if my wife does I can guarantee her clothes won't be staying on for long ;)

I want a mother for my children, someone to care for them, feed them when they are hungry, make our house their home and someone to bring the femininity to our relationship... in short I want a wife

2 people like this

I don't require gender roles from my husband. I would like a man who is physically fit, but more for himself and his health. I do the same thing for myself. Other than that, I would want a guy who wants equal responsibility in the rest. I don't want to be the homemaker while he is out breadwinning. I want us both to be able to take pride in what we do at work as well as what we do around the house. I want to be a working wife. I would like to marry a guy who dresses little more masculine. I don't want to feel like I have the same shirt he does, just a little smaller.

1 person likes this

I'm more traditional and I hope our roles will be, as well. I'm not talking about a marriage straight outta the 1950s--I mean, I do want to work and whatnot, but I also want to cook and bake, and him to do the more muscular, masculine activities.

2 people like this

Ladies, do you expect your guy to do things like fix things, be the breadwinner, be a leader, be physically strong, etc.?

Yes :)! I want him to be a leader, someone who I can trust to make decisions for our family. I want him to be strong physically so that he is healthy and so that he can help with/do things that I can't do. I want him to be the breadwinner, but just enough so we can be comfortable and take care of ourselves and our kids-I don't need a huge house or fancy things-I definitely want to stay at home with our children at least while they are young. It would be great if he can fix things, but no one can know how to do everything and I don't expect him to either :D. Oh, and I am a good cook, I used to help my parents when I was a little girl and really enjoy it to this day :).

2 people like this

Hmm...not really. I don't really like super macho masculine guys. I don't necessarily like feminine men either.

I know guys who won't even dance or sing or wear certain colors because they think they're too feminine, and I find that slightly annoying.

Besides, I'm a girl that isn't super feminine. Well there are qualities about me that are super girly, and then I have some boyish things about me as well.

Basically I need my significant other to be a leader, more dominant than I am, which doesn't take much because I'm like, more submissive I guess (I kinda didn't want to use that word because for some reason people automatically think of oppression). Another thing is he needs to be physically stronger than me (at least strong enough to open a jar of pickles or apple sauce for me because i'm tired of passing them by in the grocery store just because I know I won't be able to get them open). However, I am not opposed to a more traditional roles though, as long as they're not super rigid.

I don't need a guy to fix things for me, because I'm an engineer and I enjoy fixing things anyway, I can pretty much do most things that are considered manly and most things that are considered feminine (I can cook, clean, knit, sew, garden). I don't care how he dresses (I don't care how I dress) as long as he isn't wearing a dress and makeup,

2 people like this

I would like my wife to be a great cook, dress nice (wear dresses/skirts, lipstick, eyeliner, etc) , good hygiene and be feminine. I mean I do want a woman lol. As for her being a stay at home wife that will be up to her. I would feel bad because I feel like if someone stays home all the time, then they are being deprived or feel bored =(. If my wife does turn out to have a career, I would hope that both of us would make time for our kids. I wouldn't want my kids to be raised by a nanny.

Some things like playing sports or hitting the gym which is more masculine is a turn on for me if a girl does it. I love girls who are active! =D

1 person likes this

I would like my wife to be a great cook, dress nice (wear dresses/skirts, lipstick, eyeliner, etc) , good hygiene and be feminine.

I would hope that good hygiene is not just stereotypically feminine. As a guy, I'm looking for a wife, but I'm surrounded by guys all day in society and I certainly hope I'm not the only one who is hygenic. Otherwise, that could smell pretty bad.

Also, I've never been that big on lipstick on women. I guess I like the natural color of lips. (Or maybe women often wear a natural colored lipstick and I just can't tell that I like it).

3 people like this

LOL! true wny...I said that because I feel like most girls are more religious when it comes to hygiene, such as spending hours on end getting ready in the morning. I threw lipstick in there just because its feminine. Its not a neccesity, but I agree with you, I like girls with a more natural look over pounds of make up on their face.

And yes! alot of woman wear natural colored lipstick....they get me everytime haha.

I'd probably prefer a more modern, more equitable partnership, but I'd be willing to have a more traditional relationship too. Personally though, I have to point out two things. First, I'm biologically incapable of incubating babies. So that would have to be done by my wife. Second, I don't really enjoy cooking, so if I marry someone who does, that would be a plus. Not that I wouldn't help out with chopping vegetables, washing dishes, or other mindless tasks, but I would rather not do anything cooking-wise that requires me to think. Finally, overall I'm becoming highly educated and am rather intelligent (and obviously not very modest), so chances are I'll have the a higher income potential.

2 people like this

I think gender roles are pretty stupid. I'm a girl and I am awful in the kitchen (hate to be in there anyways,) I'm a bit messy, I always mess up the laundry, and I'd rather do homework than wash the dishes. I hope my husband doesn't expect me to be a standard housewife, because I will SUCK at that job. I'm not saying I don't want to be a stay-at-home mom. That's definitely an interest for me, as well as working part-time, but I would do it for the sake of my children. I'm not being a housewife unless I have kids. I'll take cooking classes one day, and become decent at some meals, but no way can my husband expect lavish dishes every night (I know one mother who does this every day and I have no clue how she does it.) I hate dresses, I hate skirts - I am a pants and shirt girl. I am mostly feminine on the inside, but not so much on the outside (besides my girly head-bands.) So it'd be awfully hypocritical if I expect my husband to be a super manly guy. All I ask is that he's loving, caring, and a hard worker. He can cry during Titanic as much as he wants.

3 people like this

I am a man who is attracted to women. I do not want a woman who basically acts as another man. If I wanted that, I might as well go gay. As such, I want a feminine woman who has motherly instincts and is tender, gentle, beautiful, classy and dresses like a woman. I want a woman who makes me feel like a man by allowing me to protect her if need be.

Being a good cook or staying at home aren't requirements, just preferences. Though I do want to take up cooking myself. I would love to be able to cook for my wife :)

3 people like this

I'm traditional. Hence the title. I think we've lost a lot by pretending knights could wear dresses and maidens could wear armor. This was the very origin of the word chivalry, which is sometimes lamented as being dead today.

So, I'm definitely looking for someone comfortable in inhabiting the roles of a wife and mother. I want her to wear makeup, jewelry and skirts. I want black/red lacy bras and long beautiful hair. I want her to feel as fulfilled being in the kitchen as she would in her job. I want her to manage our home and our resources capably and responsibly. I want her to be willing to teach our children at home rather than sending them to school. I want her to be capable of rocking whatever world she chose for her profession (medicine, law, business, industry, whatever) and instead finds just as much meaning rocking our cradle.

I want to be the provider, protector, the husband and the father. I want to teach our children right from wrong, and how to drive, and to discipline them to be better men and women as they grow. I want to be the dad cleaning the shotgun when the would-be suiter walks in. I want to be the man grilling the chicken and steaks, running the fireworks shows, pitching the tents and mowing the yard.

I view these as traditional roles which I want us both to accept and inhabit comfortably.

BUT.

I don't want us to feel constrained by these.

She's fine to wear jeans if she likes. I'd love if she'd put on some pads and we'd spar together. I'd love to take fencing classes as much as ballroom dancing. We can go rock climbing together, and she'll have a gun and be willing to backpack and jog with me.

Likewise, I have absolutely NO qualms about cleaning up the house, cooking dinner, washing dishes, shopping for groceries, holding her purse while she tries on clothes, or watching chick flicks.

3 people like this

We can go rock climbing together, and she'll have a gun and be willing to backpack and jog with me.

Women with guns are SUPER SEXY in my book :D