Alex

Birth order

20 posts in this topic

So this kind of goes along with the personality type post. Anyways I am reading a book that explores birth order and its effect on personality. It got me wondering. Is there a connection to people who wait to marriage and their birth order? I think it would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between people who wait and their birth order.

So what's your birth order? Are you the firstborn or the baby of the family? Are you the 3rd of 4 children? Whatever you are post it.

As for me I am the 1st of 3 kids in my family. I have a younger sister and a younger brother.

For those who are interested here is a link with a quick run down of the birth order personality types.

http://ezinearticles...nality&id=45481

You can also research Kevin Leman(he's the guy behind all the research)

I'm the first of two kids, the only son ( the other kid is a girl, my sister) and yeah, the article, in many ways did describe some of my personality as a first-born, which was interesting...

I'm adopted. I was the first-born (possibly only-born) to my birth mother, and I was raised an only child. So I guess I'm an "Only" then. But I don't feel like the description fits me. Just "they can be secretive and don't deal well with conflict" describes me.

1 person likes this

i was the third out of four. and as a "second" it described me fairly well. i do compromise a lot. sometimes more than i should aha. i should just start saying "no"

1 person likes this

I'm an Only born. The description it gave seemed pretty accurate I'd say.

1 person likes this

This is a good question, good article too...

I'm the first born of 2 kids and I do fit more of the personality traits of a typical first born

After 8 years, I was the second born, out of two, lol. Because we are so far apart, and lack of relationship, I feel like im more of an only and first born type.

1 person likes this

Naturally- In the book he talks about role reversal, which could explain you and your sister. The book is definitely way more in depth on this(obviously), but I thought I would post an article to give everyone the main idea.

redyellowblue- You would be what's called a functional firstborn. A functional first born can happen one of two ways. A person is a functional first born if they are the first born of their gender or there are 5 or more years between the next oldest sibling. I didn't originally post this because I didn't want to complicate things too much.

Nothing is exact about personality, but it is kind of an interesting idea that the order in which we and our siblings are born can play a role in our personalities.

1 person likes this

There was an 8 year gap between myself and my older brother. So he actually fits the description of an only child, while I and my younger brother fit the descriptions of the functional first and second born children.

Holy moly. I am a first born and that article was pretty accurate in describing my personality. That's crazy.

I'm an Only, and fit the description almost exactly. Only difference is I am not secretive, at all. If someone asks me something I'll tell them, which isn't the greatest, because half the time I tell them what I think about something at the moment before I've had a chance to actually figure out if that is truly the way I think about it. So I'm always revising and many people tend to think I change my opinion a lot but it's actually that they just got to see the process that I took to get there.

Thanks for linking the article!

I'm a Youngest (2 older brothers, 2 older sisters) Like he said, I felt like I had some characteristics of each type but I related mostly to the Only's personality. Interesting article, thanks for sharing!

Fourth of five. Three sisters that are 14,10 and 7 years older then me and one brother that is 3 years younger.

I'm the youngest of two. I have a lot of traits from all of the groups, but I guess if I had to choose I would say I fit the first-born description most closely. Go figure.

I am the youngest of 3 but I function more as a middle sister because my oldest sister is disabled and she requires more attention than me or my other sister and I still act as a peace keeper between them since they never got along to well since before my oldest sister became disabled. 

I am the youngest, but the description for "only" fits me better. That actually makes quite a bit of sense, because my brother is 7 years older than I am, so I spent my adolescence as basically an "only."

I'm the middle child but seem to have traits from all categories. My sister is four years older and my brother is three years younger, but my mom babysat a couple of younger kids too. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I'm the second of three though I'm some mix between 1st, 2nd and only....

Birthorder stuff is interesting. It also explores how different birthorders complement eachother (or not) for marriage.

I'm the first of two, or of four depending on how you count. I don't fit the firstborn description at all though, I'm more of a youngest. It makes sense in a funny way since I've spent most of my life hanging out with people who are older than me.

Very interesting article although there are some major flaws to this. The main one being the presumption that everyone would be raised by the same standard which is not true. There are many factors that are clearly not accounted for, but all that aside I display numerous characteristics from each group except youngests.