Sally

3 Reasons Why Christians Should Attend Non Christian College

4 posts in this topic

Though I am currently in college I have often thought about how my life would have been if I did go to a Christian college. While I can see the benefits in going to a non-Christian college I can imagine the benefits that I would have received if I went to a christian college. Overall the article is pretty spot on. My faith did strengthen dramatically when going to a non-christian college and I believe I have helped some of my friends who kind of strayed from the path to find their way back to church by saying simple things like "I really need to pray for this test", or "I found new church, you wanna come".

But at the same time I experienced much turmoil and ridicule from people who actively disliked Christianity and Christians in general. I have met so many people on my college campus who ask me to respond and explain how I can follow a religion that supports slavery/massacres of the innocent or some other event that I had no involvement in. I even experienced some animosity coming from my own professors. Mind you I not a person who really talks about their faith openly (it is a quiet resolved) but I like to wear a cross necklace every once in a while. It is at those times that I question my place. Then again there were also Christians at the college who very much had a "holier than thou" stance and actively judged other people even though they too did not follow a church like attitude such as abstinence, moderation or even compassion.

Sure at the end of the day my faith has grown but not without some psychological beatings that left me feeling isolated, abnormal, ostracized and just wishing to go back to my Southern Christian home. I have come to enjoy my school now (probably because I only have a year left) but that is because I was able to find some Christians- they were quiet but around- and also grow in my faith (but I don't know if going to non-Christian college was necessary for that).

I think the article is missing the cons section of going to a non-christian university and also the possibility of culture when going to a university. I sometimes think that I would have benefited more in going to a Southern Christian/non-Christian university then traveling to the north because at least the cultures would have been similar. IMHO religion and culture go hand in hand.

1 person likes this

I also attended a non-Christian college for undergrad and I'm in a non-Christian school for grad school too. I completely agree with loyalhero90 that my faith strengthened during my college years. It was difficult being around people who just didn't get it or even ridiculed me for my faith, but I also got to experience wonderful blessings too. Many people had certain stigmas about Catholics or Christianity, so I liked being someone non-Christians felt comfortable asking questions. It was very humbling and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I feel like God put me there for a reason, but I also believe He puts some in Christian colleges for a reason, too.

1 person likes this

Good article! I never been to a Christian school before. A lot of my friends challenge me for what I believe in and even some family members. It's stressful to have people constantly trying to debate with you, but at the end of the day I say bring it on. At the end of the day, my understanding of God grows with every advisary.

2 people like this