loyalhero90

People actually attack Modest Swimwear!!!!

15 posts in this topic

I'll be honest this is partially a rant. Okay call me naive or whatever but I thought my choice to wear a one-piece was still okay and safe from ridicule(unlike other things like my WMT status) but then I read this article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/21/modest-swimwear--_n_1590746.html

And it centers on women who do not want to wear skimpy bikinis to the beach...I am one of them I prefer swimsuits that are like an extra-lighter version of a wetsuit with a boy cut for the bottom instead of the bikini cut like this:

http://www.swimsuitsplanet.net/one-piece-swimsuits/inspiration-one-piece-swimsuit.html

They are easier to maneuver in and I don't have to worry about anything popping out.

So the article is actually pretty nice and talks about the emergence of the swimwear line and it is okay until I get to the comments. OMG they pretty much attack anyone who likes the swimwear as being repressed and even accuse them of being religious extremist, ugly or fat. Like this comment:

"if she really thought her se/xuality was an "amazing gift from God", she would be out there workin' it and enjoying herself instead of hiding it under six yards of fabric.

The fact is, she has been convinced that being a woman is bad. She can say all the se/x-positive things she wants, she in fact means the opposite of what is coming out of her mouth. I feel sorry for her."

Like WTF! Many of the comments argued that modest swimwear= brainwashed religious oppression but ignore women who were actually beautiful/well-toned/strong/non-religious or religious and just didn't want to show everything. They also lumped everyone with a religious extremist and claimed that modest swimwear was an attack from some group like Westboro. Not everyone who dresses in modest clothing is even religious never the less extremist! It is a woman's choice what she wants to wear to the beach and it is not because of some type of repression- whatever makes her feel comfortable.

But nooo I am not a woman unless I wear a see through bikini or go to a nude beach or something...pfft...smh. And just for the book I have never met a religious woman who felt that her sexuality was bad (and I am from the deep south in one of the most conservative states) it is just modesty=nice fitting clothing that leaves the imagination wondering.

This is just one of those moments when it just seems like I'm one of the few sane people in an insane world ( throws up hands).

I feel the world would be a better place if sites like Huffington post just disappeared.

2 people like this

Hmmm...well I wear a one piece with board shorts-I can't imagine how women can be comfortable in bikinis (which is basically underwear), but to each their own I guess-I mean in a perfect world all women (and men) would treat themselves with more respect, but nothing is ever perfect. Some of those suits would feel like wearing clothes in the water, but I am glad they are available for women who want them. I don't know why women have to attack other women who want to be modest, if it doesn't concern them why should they care?

5 people like this

Attacking modesty is a horrible form of femmephobia. These so-called "modern" women are promiscuous, or say that a woman should be able to do whatever she wants to with her body without being judged, and then they attack girls who choose to be modest and conservative because that apparently is the "wrong choice." It's sickening. If a woman wants to cover herself from head-to-toe, she should be able to. It is only anti-feminist if she is being forced. Otherwise, modesty is perfectly alright.

2 people like this

This topic actually really annoys me.. For one those comments are stupid.. to each there own, but realistically and I'm pretty sure most guys will agree, you see a girl in a tiny bikini, your gonna be staring at her tits and her ass, and your gonna be thinking about her naked, whether you mean to or not. They are guys, its an automatic response. So therefore there argument that women who don't wear shoe string bikinis aren't "working" what god gave them is so ridiculous. Maybe girls who wear one pieces (which by the way can still be soooo stunning on) are trying to subdue the amount of males that are going to be oogling there bits. It actually had nothing to do with whether you are religious or not, the main reasons girls do not wear bikinis

1) they dont have enough confidence to, because the world screams your body is wrong

2)Some girls just prefer to be a bit more modest and not show there whole body to the world, every guy/girl at the beach.

I think it is everyones personal choice, lots of my friends wear bikinis and they look stunning that doesnt change the fact it doesnt leave alot to the imagination. Alot of my other friend wear one pieces and they look gorgeous, some of those also dont leave alot of the imagination. But saying that because you wear a one piece means your not being a women is total BS. Everyone has different style. Just because you choose to not have your body on display in a bikini, does not mean you are not a women.

And to be really honest, if i was a guy,there is no way i would want my girl,flaunting around the beach in a skimpy bikini, so other guys good oogle her and see what i basically see in private..

4 people like this

This topic actually really annoys me.. For one those comments are stupid.. to each there own, but realistically and I'm pretty sure most guys will agree, you see a girl in a tiny bikini, your gonna be staring at her tits and her ass, and your gonna be thinking about her naked, whether you mean to or not. They are guys, its an automatic response. So therefore there argument that women who don't wear shoe string bikinis aren't "working" what god gave them is so ridiculous. Maybe girls who wear one pieces (which by the way can still be soooo stunning on) are trying to subdue the amount of males that are going to be oogling there bits. It actually had nothing to do with whether you are religious or not, the main reasons girls do not wear bikinis

1) they dont have enough confidence to, because the world screams your body is wrong

2)Some girls just prefer to be a bit more modest and not show there whole body to the world, every guy/girl at the beach.

I think it is everyones personal choice, lots of my friends wear bikinis and they look stunning that doesnt change the fact it doesnt leave alot to the imagination. Alot of my other friend wear one pieces and they look gorgeous, some of those also dont leave alot of the imagination. But saying that because you wear a one piece means your not being a women is total BS. Everyone has different style. Just because you choose to not have your body on display in a bikini, does not mean you are not a women.

And to be really honest, if i was a guy,there is no way i would want my girl,flaunting around the beach in a skimpy bikini, so other guys good oogle her and see what i basically see in private..

You're pretty much right that it's hard not to look at an attractive woman at least somewhat sexually if she is wearing a bikini. I'm not saying it has to be oogling or anything, but I can't imagine it not being at least slightly sexual. Honestly, I think the same goes for women looking at a shirtless guy with a good, toned body. Modesty is not just for women-I'm not all that comfortable with the thought of being shirtless around women. I'm not a beach guy, so it has not really affected me thus far, but I don't know if I would go shirtless to the beach. I don't think I would feel differently if I was incredibly toned, either. As to whether or not it's wrong to do these things, I cannot say it is totally wrong. I'm not really up on women's fashion, but I believe there are bikinis that do a decent job of covering a woman's breasts and behind. I would still prefer that my wife not wear one, but I would not think of it as a travesty if she did. (At least I don't think I would-I've never been in this situation. Or, who knows, maybe I would be totally fine with it). I don't doubt that mens' thoughts would stray, but that could happen even if a woman was fully clothed. As long as her breasts and behind are covered I think I could put up with it. I would be uncomfortable if she wore a shoe-string one with everything hanging out, though.

3 people like this

Yeah I'm not surprised considering this is coming from the Huffington Post. I just love how these people are saying modesty=oppression when society as a whole is objectifying women in ads, magazines, movies etc. all in the name of profit. Who's the oppressive ones now? I guess they also missed the memo that these women are modest by choice. Encouraging women to flaunt their sexuality is anti-women. All it does is reduce them to mere objects whose sole purpose is to be lusted after and nothing more. It's modesty that is empowering because it's sending a public message that she wishes to be seen for who she is as a person rather than what is on the outside. If anything, it's these haters who are brainwashed into thinking a woman's worth rests solely on sexuality.

1 person likes this

Ummm...welcome to the club. Us Muslims have had to deal with this for years, if not decades or centuries. Recently, in an attempt to provide comfortable, useable swimwear for Muslim women who wish to dress modestly in accordance with the faith, some Muslim companies have started offering swimwear often times referred to as 'burkinis'. Almost immediately, these kinds of clothes were attacked as yet another attempt by us Muslim men to 'control' and/or 'subjugate' Muslim women. Sadly, a lot of women in general and (in my faith communities case, Muslim women in particular) still somehow associate covering up with being controlled by men, instead of being in control of one's image (whether in society or in one's own mind/heart)...

That's very nice, Jegsy.

To the OP--we had an article about this earlier (see here). I prefer modest swimwear (like what Jegsy Scarr has in mind).

I don't see why people need to be so critical of other's choices. I personally wear a bikini, but I have no problem with girls who wear modest swimwear. It's their choice how much of their body they wish to show off. I've always had a hard time with people who judge people for dressing modestly. I've hard comments like they're all bible thumpers or who cares it's not like me seeing a little more skin is going to turn me on. I've seen a lot of people who dress modestly and you could never tell they were doing it to dress modestly. They choose everyday clothes that covers a little bit more and doesn't draw attention to certain areas of the body. So what's the big deal?

@Alex-I think there is the perception that people who dress modestly judge others who do not dress as modestly as they do and they feel the need to be insulting in return. To be fair, they are probably partially right. Some people do judge those who don't dress as modestly as they do. I can sympathize a bit with people who really aren't dressing all that immodestly and yet are being told they're being too revealing.

But, people should realize that just because there are some rude people who dress modestly that it does not mean they all do.

1 person likes this

Video of Jason Evert discussing research that reveals what happens to the brains of men when they see a woman in a bikini. Very interesting and all the more reason to wear modest swimwear B)!

3 people like this

Video of Jason Evert discussing research that reveals what happens to the brains of men when they see a woman in a bikini. Very interesting and all the more reason to wear modest swimwear B)!

That's really interesting. I can confirm pretty much everything he said. When we see a girl that shows a lot of skin, it stimulates our brains with pleasurable thoughts that distract us from remembering this is a person with feelings. It's because when we see something as appealing as a woman's body, we're only thinking about how good it makes us feel rather than her own well being. I know this is a bad analogy, but it's kind of like eating pizza. When you're not eating it, you know it's bad for you. But when you are eating it, you forget it's bad for you because you're too caught up in how good it taste.

A girl who dresses immodestly doesn't necessarily mean that she is seeking attention. Some women are just naive over how much guys' are affected by immodestly. They don't realize that guys are visual creatures. But for those who are in the know will understand the value of modesty. It's meant to be a statement that you respect and value your own body that you will not share it with just any man who happens to look at you. It's a statement that you wish to be seen as more than a piece of meat. It can only work in your favor because it will weed out all the pigs and leave only the guys who are willing to seek your heart first before they see your body :)

1 person likes this

Whoa, didn't catch what everyone said but thought Id jump in :) people ATTACK EVERYTHING, it will never stop, but we can work on how we defend ourselves. You can wear skimpy bikini, fairly skimpy/modest, or comepletely covered and sitll be judged, good, bad, ugly, pretty, whatever

I dont wear bikinis in public, I have a pair but i wear it usually just for a little sunbathing in my own private backyard. I always wear swim shorts over my bikini bottoms, which is pretty short actually, (above mid thigh) and a sports bra type top for swimming. I would feel unvomfortable with strangers looking at my butt crack and cleavage, but thats just me.

People are always like "geeze Courtney youre so modest. flaunt yourself a little." My response is "Yeah, I know right. But If I did im liable to make all the guys start fighting each other for me." it gets a laugh and then they shut up.

Its whatever floats your boat, really. :)

1 person likes this

...They don't realize that guys are visual creatures. But for those who are in the know will understand the value of modesty. It's meant to be a statement that you respect and value your own body that you will not share it with just any man who happens to look at you. It's a statement that you wish to be seen as more than a piece of meat. It can only work in your favor because it will weed out all the pigs and leave only the guys who are willing to seek your heart first before they see your body :)

Now I know why I never get asked out! Even when I'm wearing what I consider a revealing dress, I'm still the most covered up girl in the room. :P