miilliee

WTM TV characters challenge.

23 posts in this topic

Okay, this is following up my rant about glee, but im challenging you guys to try and find any TV characters that are WTM, or even characters that are virgins or not having sex by choice.

I know that we have looked at WTM in film and literature on our projects page, but i was just wondering if there were any particular characters from shows that came to anyones minds as WTM, or not having sex by choice.

Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory. He is actually a super virgin. But, his reasons aren't exactly traditional reasons for not having sex. In fact, I don't think he will ever have sex, even he does marry. I guess he really doesn't see the point in having sex. Plus, he sees anything that exchanges bodily fluid as unhygienic, so that takes out kissing also.

2 people like this

Hmmm...I have been thinking about what I watch and finding it hard to come up with any. I remember on The Middle last year the oldest son Axle had a girlfriend and she told his parents that she was not planning on having sex with him (can't remember if it was until marriage) and his mom Frankie liked that. Axle is a virgin still in his senior year. That is one of my favorite shows and seems to show good moral character compared to a lot of what's on.

Also, Downton Abbey-it does take place in the past, but it still has this theme in several characters :D.

Lane Kim from Gilmore Girls! She waited until marriage. :) She didn't cave under any pressure, even though her best friend had already had sex with two guys in less than a year and her boyfriend had quite the man-whorish past. She made him wait and they had twins.

3 people like this

Yeah...I think we're going to end up with a "List of fictional virgins." at some point...if we can find enough of them! So keep the suggestions coming!

1 person likes this

Ironically Andy from 40 Year Old Virgin ended up waiting till marriage. Not because of a personal conviction, but because of circumstance.

2 people like this

Some really good responses guys! And @mike, this could be another project to start up maybe?

1 person likes this

@miiliee - It could definitely be another project! I'm in the process of learning a new way of building projects so that we can create new ones faster. It'll take a month or two before I can move on this, but hopefully next year I'll be able to build this and many other new projects in much shorter time frames, and give them more prominence on the site as well. B)

In the mean time, keep listing characters here when you think of them!

1 person likes this

Lane Kim from Gilmore Girls!

Yay! Lane was an awesome example of this! Well done, Sophie!

Hmm, I always think of the character Hannah Rogers on Everwood. Apparently Sarah Drew, the actress who portrayed her, actually successfully waited for marriage in real life.

Also, Lucy Camden on 7th Heaven waited.

This great anime called Clannad has a touching story about a couple who wait. It's never explicitly mentioned that they waited, but they did

1 person likes this

Oh goodness, how could I forget? We have Cory and Topanga from Boy Meets World. And Joan from Joan of Arcadia.

3 people like this

Yay, just saw another one on Nashville! Hayden Panettiere's character has already slept with 2 guys so far so when the scene started I was thinking, "gee, is this gonna be the third :(." However, the guy stopped it and said he didn't believe in casual sex, so she got mad at him and made him leave-which I thought was pretty stupid. Then, he went to see her and brought her flowers to explain himself, saying that he respected women to much to sleep with them out of the confines of marriage! My mouth literally dropped open because I was expecting him to say "without being in love," it is kind of sad that something like this is so surprising, but it's still neat. Hopefully, he'll stick to it :). Her character's name is Juliette Barnes and his character is Sean Butler.

1 person likes this

If we're including movies, 90% of characters (at least the good guys) in Indian movies wait till marriage.

1 person likes this

Patty Bouvier from The Simpsons.-This ones for all the gay waiters out there (including me) :)

Patty was celibate for a while, I think that was before she realised she was gay, then in one episode (based around gay marriage) she said that her and her fiance were saving EVERYTHING for the wedding night. Anyways it didnt work out and she ended up not getting married, but im assuming shes still a waiter.

So yeah, despite her being a horrible character, I kind of relate to her on this level lol :)

And I think a lot of The Simpsons characters-im assuming- waited (e.g. Maude and Ned Flanders), and Homer and Marge were each others firsts (and first kisses!) but they didnt wait until marriage per se.

I have another character, didnt necessarily wtm, but decided NOT to have sex by choice, like sheldon cooper- Sherlock Holmes.

Especially Sherlock Holmes from the BBC adaptation, where side comments make it clear hat hes a virgin, and he is very comfortable in that, as he doesnt get together with anyone during the series, even Irene Adler!

1 person likes this

Sheldon Cooper on The Big Bang Theory. He is actually a super virgin. But, his reasons aren't exactly traditional reasons for not having sex. In fact, I don't think he will ever have sex, even he does marry. I guess he really doesn't see the point in having sex. Plus, he sees anything that exchanges bodily fluid as unhygienic, so that takes out kissing also.

Well actually he's gay in real life, unless you mean just his tv show character

And I think a lot of The Simpsons characters-im assuming- waited (e.g. Maude and Ned Flanders), and Homer and Marge were each others firsts (and first kisses!) but they didnt wait until marriage per se.

There is actually an episode where Flanders has pre-marital sex. It's with a woman he dates after Maude dies.

I'm pretty sure Shrek waited with Fiona in those movies, they didn't indicate anything going on until after they got married.