Sophie

Eloping?

25 posts in this topic

Do you think you would ever want to elope? Or would you consider it? This may sound weird for a member on this website, but I would totally consider eloping. I'm not one of those girls that dressed her Barbie dolls in wedding gowns (I never liked dolls,) or dreamed about her wedding dress, or planned out her entire wedding. If I had a wedding, I would want it to be a very small one with immediate family and close friends only. I really hate parties, and I doubt my own wedding would be an exception. I also hate dresses, so I will not be looking forward to picking out a wedding dress. A few times I have tried to get excited about the idea of a lavish wedding, or even a medium one, but I can't. My parents got married on a boat with immediate family only. I'm not even sure if my mom wore a dress. I think I'd much prefer that (again, weird for someone on this website to say.) Honestly, I'd be happy with just my parents there.

Err I don't need to elope, so no. If I needed to, I wouldn't have any problems eloping. Personally, my ideal marriage is just to grab a witness and sign that damn contract!

1 person likes this

I would definitely go through a drive through marriage. Once we know, why wait?

Also not a big fan of humongous celebrations. But small party would be alright, but I hope my husband will scoop me up and say "Bye!! We gotta go!" and take me away to a hotel somewhere hahaha. I would do that - that would be oddly romantic and funny!

2 people like this

I would prefer to elope. One gigantic reason-wedding receptions are very expensive. I would much rather put that money toward a house. If money were not an issue, I wouldn't be that into a wedding, anyway. When I get married I want to focus only on my wife, not on a crowd. I'm not sure how I would feel about a reception. I'm not big into parties, but I think I might enjoy a more formal gathering.

1 person likes this

If I had it my way, I would totally elope. The problem is, most women would not stand for that and my mom would never speak to me again. My mom feels entitled to see her children get married at an actual wedding for all the years she's raised us. When she puts it that way, no one can argue against that. I just think weddings can be pretty ridiculous these days with all the stress that is involved in setting up just for one day. Plus I just can't stomach the amount of money some couples blow on their weddings. I'd rather save the money and go on an extra nice honeymoon and have a huge marriage celebration with friends and family at a later time. It would be a laid back BBQ, no stress or anything. Another thing to is if you ready to marry, why wait months and months on an engagement period? I just think it's unnecessary and it just prolongs sexual temptation.

Though, if I had to have a wedding, I'd prefer a small wedding. To me, the more complicated a wedding is, the more likely something will go wrong. But even then, it's still not possible because I have a large extended family on both sides of my parents. Plus I would have to invite a lot of family friends and their family just by association. That's just my side. Who knows how big of a family my future wife has or how many friends she has?

So basically my point is that no matter what happens, I'm not going to be able to have any say in my wedding <_<

2 people like this

I wouldn't want to elope but I don't want to have a big, extravagant wedding either. I'd want a nice and simple wedding, without much stress. The important thing for me would be sharing my special day with my close family and friends.

2 people like this

Eloping from whom/what, and where to?

I certainly would want only a church wedding, with the bride in a white dress and all. I get you on wanting a small wedding with only a few people, however.

By eloping , I meant just going and getting the certificate.it wouldn't be a surprise to my family, they would know. Then later we can have a small celebration.

By eloping , I meant just going and getting the certificate.it wouldn't be a surprise to my family, they would know. Then later we can have a small celebration.

That sounds nice too.

No way- I want a small, simple wedding outside and in front of a body of water.

2 people like this

I would want a small wedding. My dad wasn't included in my brothers' weddings because they weren't speaking at the time, so I would want to have a wedding day so that he could be included. Nothing crazy though. My parents actually eloped, so they wouldn't be mad if I did.

3 people like this

I would want a romantic eloping. I see these scenarios online sometimes. The couple goes off to some exotic island or country (like the aztec ruins or something), they find a priest and get married. The only thing is that is it kind of planned but still informal. The couple has a photographer, beautiful clothes and location kind of planned but it is still informal and usually quirky/different. The only thing with this option is that I would have to honor my family by having a very small wedding ceremony when we returned from the eloping. By not including my family in the ceremony I would be seen as being disrespectful.

I could never do a drive in chapel or go to a court or anything...that is just too unromantic and just...sucks in my opinion. I would be like "I waited all this time and I can't even have a ceremony...no flowers...no romance...just certificate and hit the sheets...really?!!"

Well, I don't know about actual ELOPING, as I would want my parents and best friends to be there, but having just spent one of my best friends work on preparations for her wedding, and listening to endless discussions of guest lists, floral arrangements, seating charts, and the expense of it, I am leaning more than ever towards having a very simple and inexpensive wedding. I want it to be intimate and romantic; I do not want the kind of wedding that sends us into debt or causes undue stress. Weddings are supposed to be good things!

I suppose my ideal wedding would have very few people at the actual ceremony, just immediate family and special friends. Then the reception would be somewhere outdoors and free, like the beach or a park, and anyone who wanted to could come, with it being an open invitation to colleagues, extended family, and church members, etc., but with the provision being that it was a pot-luck event. And the more services that I can get donated by and things that I can borrow from lovely friends and family, the better : The photography? The tables? The dishes? The cake? The music? If you have skills to offer or supplies to donate, please come to my wedding! :)

I was teasing my friend that she ought to elope, but after spending hours assembling her invitations, I told her that it is too late! :D

I would like to elope. Fly to Florence, find a priest, and honeymoon across Europe for a few weeks. That sounds nice.

1 person likes this

I'd only elope if my wife was on-board with it, especially if she made it clear that she wanted to. Otherwise, a small, but fun wedding...nothing too extravagant (we can save that for the reception, if need be). I'd much rather see my wife and I focus our shared time, energy, and wealth on building a successful and overally happy marriage, as that is far harder to pull off that an extravagant wedding...and FAR more worthwhile and fulfilling, IMO.

1 person likes this

I would like to elope.

I don't like being the center of attention and I don't think I would enjoy doing most of the wedding planning (we all know guys only participate in like 25% of wedding planning or even less and leave the rest up to the bride to be...umm no thanks). I have always hated parties and I'm way too frugal for my own good. The only problem with that is my family thinks it is selfish to not have a wedding and reception. They say that it isn't supposed to be for the bride and groom, they're for the family. Having a small wedding isn't an option because then I'd have to deal with people being upset that they weren't invited. I think it is just best to not have a wedding at all. People will be upset and maybe say I'm selfish but at least no one's feelings will be hurt.

Plus I want a good honey moon! Forget the wedding. The honey moon is where its at!

That's just how I feel at the moment. I may feel differently later on down the road.

3 people like this

I would be okay with eloping. Running away and getting married is crazy, but a good kind of crazy for me. I'd be okay with a wedding as well, but I prefer for it to be small and not in a church like most people have. I hope my parents like who I plan to marry, because if they don't approve then I'm gonna definitely elope or just wed without them. I hope that's not the case though.

1 person likes this

I would love to elope! It would be so much easier. I have a huge family and they would all have to be invited to my wedding (people would be very upset if they weren't on the guest list). My sister recently got married and over 500 people attended!

I'd much rather have a small wedding, and to elope and not have to deal with all the minutiae like table plans and flower arrangements would be ideal.

1 person likes this

I would love to elope if my wife liked it otherwise I like a small wedding prefably back in English countryside in a place such as Sussex but very hard to find a girl when my culture don't reccomend dating.

I'd first just get married in front of a few witnesses. Then I'd send the girl of and then invite her for dinner at my place so it feels less like a massive deal. Then a few days later I will have a chill but fun function with my friends and family. Nothing too huge.

I do not want to elope. I want to share my day with family and friends. I love weddings. No way am I skipping my own. I don't need an extravagant day, just a simple small beautiful ceremony and reception full of love. :) 

1 person likes this

May you have a wonderful wedding day and hope you find the special someone who will love you with all their heart. Best luck for everything.

I do not want to elope. I want to share my day with family and friends. I love weddings. No way am I skipping my own. I don't need an extravagant day, just a simple small beautiful ceremony and reception full of love. :)

I'm engaged now and we honestly considered eloping. We both hate being the center of attention and I'm not super girly. I also would much rather save the money than spend it all on one day.

His parents kind of freaked since he's the first grandchild on both sides to get married, so we're compromising. Our wedding is going to be family and a few of our closest friends.

3 people like this

I would only elope if I HAD to. If I believed he was the one and God confirmed it but not my family..I'd elope only then when there's NO chance it could be done another way. I do hope that never happens though. I'd be very upset :(