Invincible

What religion would you choose other than your own?

37 posts in this topic

Hypothetically if you had to belong to a different religion other than your own, what would it be? Please don't use cop out answers like choosing a different denomination within your own religion. So if you're Catholic, don't say you'd be a Baptist or if you're a Sunni Muslim, don't say you'd be a Shiite. If you're atheist, don't say agnostic. Basically, choose a religion that has a different religious text as yours, or none at all.

That's a tricky question. Especially since you can't "cheat" and pick a different denomination. Honestly, don't know what religion I'd pick if I couldn't pick one with Jesus in it...

xxx

5 people like this

I agree with Jegsy that this question is a little tricky because of my own relationship with Christ but I guess I would be Muslim. A lot of my friends are muslim and while the religious beliefs are very different the moral values are close so I can agree with them more. I think I just couldn't choose a belief without some form of deity or God.

Well, I'm an atheist, so...agnosticism. ;) JK. If I really, really had to choose I would definitely go with Judaism. Chanukah is 8 days of presents so that beats Christmas (except the lack of an awesome tree,) I love Passover, Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur. I'm already kinda culturally Jewish but first and foremost I am an atheist, so I would choose to be a part of the Jewish culture and religion if I truly had to choose. You said to choose a religion that has a different "religious text," but seeing as I am an atheist, have never been to synagogue, and have possibly never held the Torah, I think I can choose Judaism. I mean I also celebrate Christmas and Easter because my mom is Christian. Technically I am a Jewish-Christian Atheist but I just call myself a Jewish atheist because we celebrate the Jewish holidays in a slightly religious, traditional way but Christmas = presents + food and Easter = chocolate. Judaism is the only religion I'd ever accept.

1 person likes this

I once took an online quiz (exemplars of accuracy, they) whose results stated the my beliefs line up most closely with Orthodox Judaism. I can't conceive of a situation in which I would lose my faith in Christ, but, in terms of pure psychological and ceremonial compatibility, I suppose Orthodox Judaism is a fair fit.

None honestly at all, but if I had to choose one I would choose orthodox Jew cause they have the Jewish heritage but they believe jesus was the Messiah.

Interesting question. However, since I personally explored pretty much every faith out there (aside from cults, :P) I can't see myself choosing any faith other than Islam. I had my time exploring Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism (have spent time at both a Hindu ashram and a Buddhist monastery...studied the Kabbalah, Hermeticism, Rosicrucianism, and Thelema, etc.) While I respect other faiths, it's Islam for me.

@Dasboy1: As far as my knowledge of Judaism is concerned, no mainstream Jewish sect, least of all Orthodox Judaism, accepts Jesus (pbuh) as the Messiah. Us Muslims do, although we don't see him as God Incarnate or as the Son of God...nor as our personal saviour (that's God's job...and as far we understand him, he can and does do that on his own, without any assistant). Anyone who knows better about Judaism, feel free to correct me, concerning that faith...

That's not true I must have gotten the name wrong but there are certain Jewish people that accepted Jesus, I know that fora fact.

That's not true I must have gotten the name wrong but there are certain Jewish people that accepted Jesus, I know that fora fact.

They're called Messianic Jews. They are folks who observe Jewish holidays and practices yet they also believe in the New Testament and acknowledge Jesus as the Son of God. Though they are rejected as a sect of Judaism by most Jews but they are recognized as a denomination by most mainstream Christians.

Altan still is correct in saying that no mainstream form of Judaism accept Christ. Messianic Judaism is a very small minority.

2 people like this

I like Stabler's answer! Um, but seriously, for me, I am a Christian (Lutheran-LCMS), and it's hard to pick another religion because my faith is in Christ. But probably Judaism is the next closest thing to Christianity, in terms of Who God is, and what he has (or in the Jewish religion, is going to) done. But Buddhism is a fairly peaceful religion, I've heard. So......all things considered......I'm going with The Force. :)

@Zeke21: Here's a short clip from the film 'The Message': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FJ9Toqe5KE

In it, there's something of a discussion/debate about the differences between Christianity and Islam. Fact is, there's probably more in common between Islam and Christianity, as regards Christ (pbuh) than with regards to other faiths. At least that's my opinion...

@Altan...... You can just call me Zeke, if you want. I have not seen this film "The Message" in whole, just this clip you show here. From what I can tell, the Christian viewpoint in the clip is not a good representation of Lutheran Christianity (I am Lutheran). Within Christianity are many denominations, all of which believe very different things from each other. The only thing in common is that they all believe and worship Christ as the Son of God. Even in the Lutheran denomination (of which I am a member), there are many synods that teach different things. The only thing Lutheran synods have in common, besides believing that Christ is the Son of God, is that we are saved by God's grace alone (this is what separates us from other Christians). I have also known, as I have talked with many members of the Islam faith, that there also exist variances within Islam, depending on whom you talk to. This seems common to all religions. I agree with you that there are, fundamentally, many similarities between Islam and Christianity as a whole. I also, if you will permit an observation, see similarities between Islam and Judaism. Both hold that Jesus was born of a virgin by the Spirit of God, but do not hold that He was indeed the Son of God. Given how this is the core teaching in Christianity, it is very difficult for a Lutheran Christian to hypothetically choose between two non-Christian religions. I chose The Force above as a joking way of saying, "I can't decide." While two religions might be similar, to a Christian, even one difference can make them as far from each other as the east is from the west. So choosing between Judaism and Islam is, for me, as difficult as you choosing between Judaism and Christianity. I guess this is why America has religious tolerance: so people of different faiths can discuss them amongst each other without fear of offended each other. I find this clip you shared intriguing. Perhaps I will locate the film sometime and watch it. To give you an idea of my faith, I agreed with everything the Islamic man said up until calling Jesus an Apostle. If you want to better understand my beliefs, just google; Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, and start reading. God bless you!

^ Well, not all "Christian" denominations actually believe that Jesus is physically the Son of God.... Unitarian Universalists are categorized as Christian typically although they believe that Jesus was essentially mortal and worship more the "idea" of what he represented: they do not actually weigh his words as "gold" (symbolically speaking) as you or I (also a Protestant Christian) would. Likewise, Mormons extend the belief that Jesus was born a typical mortal but, by never sinning, "ascended" to Godliness and dwells with immortal beings on distant planets.

I guess what I'm saying is, "Christian" is a broad moniker. To my personal satisfaction, it's good to know you're a devoted follower of the Son of God as well.

To answer the original question, if I didn't believe that Jesus was the son of the living God, I would probably be Jewish.... he stories of Mohammed ever struck deep within me, and I am one of the most pro-Israel guys around.

It's a complicated choice. I would probably choose Buddhism. But then there is the argument of whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy on life. If it is the latter, which I am more inclined to lean toward, I could accept both a form of Christianity and an appreciation for the teachings of Siddhartha simultaneously. So um... Buddhism.

Does merging two faiths count as a cop out answer? :mellow:

They're called Messianic Jews. They are folks who observe Jewish holidays and practices yet they also believe in the New Testament and acknowledge Jesus as the Son of God. Though they are rejected as a sect of Judaism by most Jews but they are recognized as a denomination by most mainstream Christians.

Altan still is correct in saying that no mainstream form of Judaism accept Christ. Messianic Judaism is a very small minority.

Yeah. And you're right: Messianic Jews are not accepted as "real Jews," or something like that. Most Jews just consider them Christians who have been a part of the Jewish culture, but not at all the religion. Lots of Jews, especially Hasidic, refuse to even think of them as Jews.

1 person likes this

@Zeke: Ineteresting that your Lutheran, 'cause that's what my mom is/was raised in (she's still very much Christian) and what I was (for the most part) exposed to, as someone brought up within the folds of Protestant Christianity. I think my mom's family is Missouri Synod (I'll have to ask her, since I remember hearing that there were two or three synods, at least in the US...not sure if that's right, atm).

@Altan-I believe there are three major denominations of Christianity that call themselves Lutheran in the U.S.

1.) Evangelical Lutheran Church in America-This one has the most members. They are more open in regards to many issues (They allow homosexuality and homosexual clergy, they allow women to be pastors, probably other stuff as well).

2.) Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod-The second biggest denomination. They are stricter (don't allow homosexuality or female pastors) and I know they have a rather literal interpretation of the Bible (at least in some instances). They don't believe in evolution, for instance, as they view it as incompatible with the creation story in Genesis.

3.) Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod-The smallest synod (I believe only around 400,000 members). I might be wrong about this, but I believe they are the strictest of the American Lutherans. I don't think women are allowed a vote in church issues and stuff like that. I could be wrong, though.

I believe all Lutherans believe in the real pressure of Jesus' body and blood in communion. I know Missouri Synod does.

Well I'm Christian but if I was forced to change I would choose Atheism in a heart beat. As an Atheist I wouldn't throw my religion at others and try to tell everyone else that they're wrong so I don't know if that would make me Agnostic.

I think this is a wonderful question that I wish I had stumbled upon before.

Hmm... Well, part of me really and truly wishes I could be Catholic, both because I adore the beauty of Mass and because I'd enjoy being able to share religious beliefs with a large portion of my family. BUT, that feels like a cop-out, since I'm culturally Catholic and whatnot... 

I'd probably want to be a Hindu; it's such a beautiful religion so rich in culture and history. The celebrations seem like experiences in of themselves, and there are so many other activities (yoga, dance, et cetera) that tie in with Hindu spirituality, that I imagine it would make for a very fulfilling life.

1 person likes this

Like a lot of people here, I love my religion dearly (which is why it's my religion!) and I wouldn't want to change it :) But if I had to choose, I would be either Kemetic (Egyptian polytheism) or Catholic. Kemeticism is similar in many ways to Hellenismos, and they've had many cultural and religious ties throughout history, to the point of becoming a kind of "brother faiths". I agree with a lot of Kemetic tenets and wouldn't have trouble adopting them. The reason I'm not Kemetic is because I simply have no connection with those Gods.

As for Catholicism, it's not so much the beliefs I feel drawn to as the rituals. No matter what my religion is, I need structure and continuity throughout history, and both Hellenismos and Catholicism (and Kemeticism) offer that. Catholic churches are so beautiful, and so is mass, the rosary, and a lot more. Not to mention that as a polytheist, having a lot of saints would make the switch easier :P (Please don't kill me! I'm kidding! I know the saints aren't actually Gods!)

There's a lot more religions I would consider - I think each of them holds their own beauty, from Muslim veils and kneeling to pray, to Jewish synagogues and reciting Hebrew, to Buddhist meditation and so much more - but those are the first two that came to mind.

6 people like this