Ruby

Baby names?

63 posts in this topic

Does anyone else like to keep a list of names they like?

I don't devote much time to it or anything, but when I hear a name I like, I put in down in a draft I have. Sometimes I'll hear a name I love and file it away in my mind but forget about it later, so I like to record them for future reference. It's not just for possible names for my children either, when I got a dog I used it and also if I want to write something and need character names.

I figure that in 10 years or whenever I am starting to have kids, I will probably have different names, but some have stayed on there for a while.

Some of my favorites:

for girls:

Charlotte

Delia

Eleanor

Elsie

Ida - love this name this name, I named my favorite stuffed animal when I was younger Ida and still love it

Ragnild (ruh-kneeled)

Roslyn

for boys:

Alistair - I think this is common in other countries, but I've never heard it here

Gregor/Greg

Henry

Lloyd - I don't think I would ever name my kid this, but I still like it

Monroe

Oliver

I really like old fashioned names that aren't as common, so beautiful.

I don't really keep a list of names I like, but I have thought of several over the years that I really like. I know there are some I would really like to name my kids, but other's I thought would be cute to name a pet or stuffed animal.

Girls:

Blake

Chase

Skyler

Hannah

Jennifer

Jessica

Boys:

Blake

Chase

Matthew

Luke

Skyler

I kind of like the idea of giving some boy names to girls. I don't really know why, but I think it's cute.

Ooh, baby names!

Yeah, I've got a few that I like so far:

For a girl:

Christine

Catherine (Cathy for short)

Maria

For a boy:

David

Michael

Nicholas (Nick for short)

And if my husband wanted to name a son after himself, then that'd be fine, because I think it's a cute little tradition (although, if I marry someone with a bizarre first name, I may change my mind...)

Those are my favourites so far. I'll probably think of some more when the time comes. I may have to rethink them if I have a surname that doesn't go with them.

xxx

Back when I was in high school and had loads of time to write, I collected lots and lots of names for my stories. So I got into thinking about baby names. Haven't done that since I was about 17, but I wrote them down in a notebook which I brought with me to university. So here are some of my favourites:

Girls

Alice

Jane

Tessa

Violet

Ginevra

Melody

Boys

Theodore

Oliver

Hugo

Elliot

Bram

Ethaniel

Ida - love this name this name, I named my favorite stuffed animal when I was younger Ida and still love it

I have a cousin named Ida. :)

I haven't really written any of them down, but I've always liked

Girls

Kristen

Kirsten

Marie

Maria

Unisex

Marion

Boy

Haven't really thought of any. Lol

There are also some names of grandparents that I would name my children: Ruby, Jewel, James

The names have to be traditional/"old school". More John and Andrew, less Aiden.

Make that "no Aiden"...

2 people like this

I always hoped I'd marry someone with an irish first name, like Sean or Liam or Ronan, so we could call our son Seán óg or Liam óg or Ronan óg. I love that tradition. (og means young, so when a son and a father have the same name, the suffix og is used)

Girls names

Peig

Siobhán

Saoirse

Aoife

Rosin

Eileen

Bláithín

Caoimhe

Boys

Oisin

Ronan

Rory

Eoghan

Sean

Conor

Paidraig

Seamus

Lorcan

Caoimhin

Haha awww this is so cute! I always have ideas of baby names but they change as I get older. I like unique sounding names, but nothing too unique that it's just unusual and awkward to pronounce/spell. I understand differences in culture, and whatnot, but being an American (a Texan American haha) it needs to be able to be easy to pronounce/spell.

I thought of Lila (lie-luh) Cole for a girl after my awesome great grandmother who passed away. She had an incredible spirit! But I've been having thoughts of twins lately (which is so weird haha) specifically a boy and girl twin so the names Jacob Luke and Jordan Grace came to mind after all of the trauma I've experienced this year, God has really been evident in my circumstances so those Biblical names/principles mean something to me. Before this, when I was just thinking if I had a boy and girl (not necessarily twins) I'd name them Kasten (case-ten) Luke and Kendalyn Cole. But then my neurosurgeon's middle name is Ari (are-ree) and I really think that's a cool name. Haha he told me to get a puppy and I was gonna get a girl pup and name her Ari. I think Kendalyn Ari is a pretty name. But there seems to be a lot of "Kendyl/Kendalyn" going on after the Kardashians and all... Umm, no thanks. Haha. I liked that name since I was young, far before the Kardashian craze came about.

Who knows? I'm sure my future husband already has some names thought about, too... So we'd have to reach a compromise. Could be like how my parents named us... Well, me. Mom chose one name, dad chose the other. They didn't have the same issue naming their other two children. Haha who knows? I'll see when I get there!

I always hoped I'd marry someone with an irish first name, like Sean or Liam or Ronan, so we could call our son Seán óg or Liam óg or Ronan óg. I love that tradition. (og means young, so when a son and a father have the same name, the suffix og is used)

Girls names

Peig

Siobhán

Saoirse

Aoife

Rosin

Eileen

Bláithín

Caoimhe

Boys

Oisin

Ronan

Rory

Eoghan

Sean

Conor

Paidraig

Seamus

Lorcan

Caoimhin

I just love the fact that I can't pronounce the majority of these names, lol!

1 person likes this

I am drawn to names that have double letters and look "pretty" when they're written. I know, weird.... I am also into names that have a good meaning and/or are from the Bible.

Here are some that I am fond of (right now, lol):

Girls

-Lilly

-Alyssa

-Danielle

-Marissa

-Bella (I know what you're thinking, but I liked it waaayyyyyy before the books/movies became popular or were even out!!)

-Adrianna

I also like it when girls are named or nicknamed boys' names. Like Stevie or Dani. I think that's cute.

Boys

-Michael

-Joshua

-Daniel

-Isaac

-Isaiah

-Luke

Oh, yeah, I love collecting potential names. So far, I've collected more names for girls than for boys. As a writer, a part of me collects names more for characters than potential children, so some names flare more to the artistic side than I would likely choose for real people.

Girls:

- Vivian

- Hazel

- Rebecca

- Charlotte

- Violet

- Rachel

- Emberlynn

- Cadence

- Joanna

- Ellawyn

- Zoë

- Emily

- Savannah

- Amy

Boys

- Zachary

- Logan

- Christopher

- Alexander

- Thomas

- Jason

- Liam

Am I the only one who likes coming up with matching names for twins or siblings? I mainly do so more for literary purposes, and I doubt I would use these combinations for actual twins, as they would be too dramatic and in some cases, sickeningly cute, but it is fun to imagine:

- Hemera & Nyx

- Melody & Harmony

- Grace & Faith

- Chance & Destiny

- Michael & Angelo

- Adrena & Lynn

- Jade & Crystal

- Lavendar & Violet

- Daisy, Lily, Jasmine, Zinnia, Rose, etc.

I have taught two sets of twin girls now. The first set were named Momoka and Sakura (which means "Peach Blossom" and "Cherry Blossom," respectively), and the other set were named Magdelena and Theodora.

I am also one of those people who would consider having all of their children's names begin with the same letter, or would possibly have their first and last names be alliterative: Judith Jones, Emily Evans, etc.

I also enjoy the thought of creating a name by combining two names of people in the family. So far, however, the names I've been able to invent are less than graceful: Marivianda (a combo of my three grandmothers' names - Marie, Violet, and Wanda) and Charelda (from my grandfathers - Charles and Sheldon). I don't ever picture using either of those, but it was fun to invent them. And though I like many classic names, a part of me would love to invent a new name, provided that is sounded pretty and was simple enough to pronounce and spell, like "Endyl" or "Rycora."

I suppose my future husband gets to have a say in all of this too. :D

5 people like this

I have a ton of girl names, but no boy names just yet. I figure my husband names the boys, I name the girls :)

Cynthia

Stella

June

Clara

Zora

Cora/Quara

Astrid

Maya

Amelia

Celestia

Ursula/Ursella/Ursa

Starla

Luna, Lumina

Nova, Novia, Novinha

Tara

Clarissa

Kira

Ava, Arcadia, Aria

Paige

Ariel/Ariella/Auriela

Azura, Azra, Azula

Juniper

Some of those I wouldn't actually give to one of my future daughters, but I still think they're very pretty!

I've always been quite partial to the seldom-used Biblical name 'Jeziel' for a boy. It would sound especially nice with an alliterative middle name. And if the male child in question didn't like being called Jeziel or 'Jez,' he could just be 'J.J.' And that would be perfectly DYN-O-MITE!

2 people like this

Wow I'm impressed with all the names. I don't have any in mind. I hope my husband will be good with names.

I don't have a long list but here it is:

Girls

Penny (I don't know why but this has always been my favorite girls name)

Melanie

Kathleen

Boys

Jack

Keith

Well I don't want kids but, I do have names in case it does happen.

GIRLS:

Amanda Angel

Jessica Marie

Serenity Rose

BOYS:

Zaiden Mathew

Justice Lee

Pronounciation of these names for Mark's benefit!! Although the girl whos waiting would probably have broader sounding pronounciations of these names as she would have a different dialect to me.

Girls names

Peig (peg)

Siobhán (shiv-awn)

Saoirse (seer-sha)

Aoife (like eva but with an "f" sound instead of "v")

Rosin (row-sheen) this means little rose

Eileen (i-lean...as in "I lean on a counter top")

Bláithín (Blaw-heen) this means little flower....a cute name

Caoimhe (qu-e-va)

Boys

Oisin (ush-een)

Ronan (this one does exaclty what it says on the tin - long "o" short "a" )

Rory

Eoghan (this is pronounced like owen or eoin)

Sean (this is pronounced like Shaun)

Conor

Paidraig (Pawd-rig)

Seamus (Shame-us)

Lorcan (does what it says on the tin)

Caoimhin (qu-e-veen)

Personally I love strong names for Boys:

Adam

Mark

Paul

Girls names:

I have trouble deciding on girls names I like :(

2 people like this

Pronounciation of these names for Mark's benefit!! Although the girl whos waiting would probably have broader sounding pronounciations of these names as she would have a different dialect to me.

Thanks, MM!

Yeah, I have a list of names that I like. Some of them stay a while, some of them not so long. I just write one down if I think it sounds nice.

For girls:

Riley

Holly

Melanie

Karly

Charlotte

For boys:

David

Walter

Josh

Those are just the ones I remember. The list has more.

Honestly, there is only one name that I would be quite insistent upon (even then, though, I suppose I'd be willing to budge if my spouse absolutely loathed the name).  If I ever have a daughter, I would very much like to name her Germaine, after Saint Germaine Cousin.  I'm not Catholic, but if I were, St. Germaine would definitely be my patron saint.  I've considered honoring her feast day, but I don't know how to do so with proper respect.

Saint Germain's story, like the story of most saints, is bittersweet.  She lived a difficult life, and faced terrible abuse, and yet somehow her torments only seemed to increase her capacity to love.  It serves a somewhat selfish purpose that I would want to name my daughter Germaine; to assuage my aching sympathy, I would treat my Germaine with the love and attention that Saint Germaine was so bitterly denied.  It would be a vicarious way of expressing my admiration for Saint Germaine, if that makes any sense. 

3 people like this

Honestly, there is only one name that I would be quite insistent upon (even then, though, I suppose I'd be willing to budge if my spouse absolutely loathed the name).  If I ever have a daughter, I would very much like to name her Germaine, after Saint Germaine Cousin.  I'm not Catholic, but if I were, St. Germaine would definitely be my patron saint.  I've considered honoring her feast day, but I don't know how to do so with proper respect.

Saint Germain's story, like the story of most saints, is bittersweet.  She lived a difficult life, and faced terrible abuse, and yet somehow her torments only seemed to increase her capacity to love.  It serves a somewhat selfish purpose that I would want to name my daughter Germaine; to assuage my aching sympathy, I would treat my Germaine with the love and attention that Saint Germaine was so bitterly denied.  It would be a vicarious way of expressing my admiration for Saint Germaine, if that makes any sense. 

Aww, this is so sweet and touching :)

I've always been partial to the name Emma for a girl. And Alistair or Flynn for a boy... or maybe combine them and have it be the first and middle name... "Alistair Flynn." Anyway, I haven't actually thought that much about it. I assume it will be fun to discover names together with my future husband! :)

1 person likes this

For my future daughter I would want her to have a super feminine beautiful name...Im not gonna lie Im a fan of the russian names

Aliyah

Katya (for my dog)

Fiona

Mila

Sophia

Victoria

If I were to have a son I would like a more Masculine African name like..

Djimon

Malcom