Neen

Legalized Recreational Marijuana

31 posts in this topic

This was inspired by Sophie's thread about gay marriage.

How do you guys feel about it being legalized in Colorado, and Washington.

I think its a great step, for I don't think it will change the smoking culture at all. Like, those who smoke will continue to smoke, those who don't wont. It will help lessen the overcrowding in prisons. Also, people can not just relax a bit.

I actually like it. I know in that in Colorado it was legalized for medical use, but it was really easy to obtain a medical license. That didn't stop people though. Besides it helping to lessen overcrowding it prisons it will also help police focus on the real criminals, not the people lighting a joint and doing really no harm to society. And we can tax the crap out of it. That money could go to help improve many things in those states. Though, I do not smoke and never plan to, I think this move is a good one.

Why?

Because cigarettes, both first-hand smoke and second-hand smoke, causes cancer. It's one of the leading causes of death. It just fries up your lungs, and is not good for those around you. Pot is stupid too, but it rarely causes death. I've never heard of anyone dying from marijuana (unless it was laced with something,) but hundreds of thousands a year die from lung cancer.

Marijuana also damages your lungs, fyi. Now if people only smoke a joint once in awhile it obviously wouldn't be as bad as smoking a full pack of cigs a day. But the opposite is also true...if someone just smokes the occasional cigarette it does less damage health wise then if they are a pot head and smoke weed every day. Smoking ANYTHING can lead to lung cancer.

8 people like this

Why?

Because cigarettes, both first-hand smoke and second-hand smoke, causes cancer. It's one of the leading causes of death. It just fries up your lungs, and is not good for those around you. Pot is stupid too, but it rarely causes death. I've never heard of anyone dying from marijuana (unless it was laced with something,) but hundreds of thousands a year die from lung cancer.

"Earlier work established that marijuana does contain cancer-causing chemicals as potentially harmful as those in tobacco, he said. However, marijuana also contains the chemical THC, which he said may kill aging cells and keep them from becoming cancerous."

Source:http://www.washingto...6052501729.html

The study that was done was actually published by the NIH: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16128224

I do still think that cigarettes are more harmful, and posses more health risks. Anyway, too much of anything is bad for you .

I feel like it really doesn't change much. Lol. Do you know just how many people were ALREADY smoking it before that was passed? People are just glad they don't have to hide it anymore.

...And the places where it's legal now are going to get an influx of vacationers. :lol:

3 people like this

Marijuana also damages your lungs, fyi. Now if people only smoke a joint once in awhile it obviously wouldn't be as bad as smoking a full pack of cigs a day. But the opposite is also true...if someone just smokes the occasional cigarette it does less damage health wise then if they are a pot head and smoke weed every day. Smoking ANYTHING can lead to lung cancer.

I'm with Sophie on this one. It's true that marijuana use has been linked to conditions like depression and memory loss. The difference is that there hasn't been a single documented case of death by long term marijuana use alone. According to the World Health Organization, roughly 400,000 people die from long term tobacco smoking, effectively making the #1 preventable cause of death in the US. Alcohol poisoning accounts for 85,000 deaths a year, making it the third leading cause of preventable death in the US. Also, marijuana has a host of medical benefits ranging from treating pain to treating schizophrenia. While it does have it's health risks, no one is dying from it. Compared to the statistics behind alcohol and smoking tobacco, marijuana is nowhere near as dangerous.

I also agree with Alex. It doesn't make sense to crowd our prisons with a bunch of people who just want to get high. Just because they smoke pot doesn't necessarily they are lazy and don't contribute to society. It's no more true than someone who loves to drink more than the average person.

4 people like this

Alcohol poisoning accounts for 85,000 deaths a year, making it the third leading cause of preventable death in the US.

I'd also like to point out that I've never heard of anyone getting drunk on nicotine and crashing his car into a busload of nuns. Nor have I heard of cigarettes distorting an otherwise fine parent into a violent abuser. The same can't be said of booze.

Being a libertarian, I'm in favor of drug legalization, especially for light drugs like pot. That said, I'm not a drinker or a smoker, and my hard drug use is limited to Hostess Cupcakes and Green Apple Jolly Ranchers. On a personal level, I find drug use to be morally questionable and personally irresponsible in most cases. But just because I think something is bad doesn't mean it should be illegal.

1 person likes this

I can't say anything for Colorado and Washington but I would rather see more results from medical research first so that way it can go through large scale research and FDA approval. There are many biases on both sides and not many of it is substantiated by facts. More medical research would help that. Isn't the stuff supposed to be taxed and regulated? In these states it seems like neither is happening. I can take medical legalization but I not recreational.

Also, marijuana has a host of medical benefits ranging from treating pain to treating schizophrenia. While it does have it's health risks, no one is dying from it. Compared to the statistics behind alcohol and smoking tobacco, marijuana is nowhere near as dangerous.

No offense but this is one example where the benefits/risks conflict. From my research (and course work in psychopathology) Marijuana actually worsens Schizophrenia because it induces psychosis. A person suffering from Schizophrenia is already usually experiences some type of psychosis so smoking Marijuana or some other psychotic drug will only worsen the affects. Schizophrenia is also a result from an overactive dopamine system. Marijuana does not affect the dopamine system at all. Actually people who are predisposed to developing Schizophrenia (genetically) has a highly increased chance of developing the disease (80%) in comparison to if they did not smoke marijuana. So I'm sorry but I'm going have to object on the schizophrenia treatment. Actually many have found nicotine to be a good Schizophrenia treatment due to its effects on the dopamine system.

It does do well with pain and nausea due to the receptor systems it works on.

"Earlier work established that marijuana does contain cancer-causing chemicals as potentially harmful as those in tobacco, he said. However, marijuana also contains the chemical THC, which he said may kill aging cells and keep them from becoming cancerous."

Source:http://www.washingto...6052501729.html

The study that was done was actually published by the NIH: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16128224

This is another example (actually I used the pubmed article for a research paper once but to justify the adverse effects) of miscommunication amongst the medical community. An article presented in 2006 who has the author of your article (Tashkin) explained that Marijuana damages the epithelial cells of the upper respiratory system (trachea, major bronchioles etc) and also damages macrophages (in this study they look at alveolar macrophages). The "protection" could just be a disguise for immunosuppression. This damaging of the system could be an explanation as to why lung cancer is not found. Basically the epithelial cell's ATP (energy) production is damaged and thus are not really able to divide or work properly (thus dying eventually). This slow development and proliferation is one reason why cancerous agents are not really found; the cells just don't have enough energy to divide rapidly like how cancer needs to divide. On the flip side the alveolar macrophages are damaged meaning immuno-suppression. So while cancer can't form the lungs are particularly susceptible to viruses and bacteria that love to proliferate in epithelial cells and macrophages like mycobacterium tuberculosis (bad *ss bacterium!)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16414979

I am also wary of the "it doesn't kill anyone" claim. I want to see how many people develop serious infections from smoking weed. Actually forms of opium are extremely hard and pretty much impossible to OD on (Seriously I didn't know that about some forms of opium but it actually has a 33,000:1 therapeutic index while others are as low as 300 but nothing close to benzodiazaprenes (20-50:1-TI).While Cannabis has a 1000:1 therapeutic index; actually those who do overdose was drinking it with alcohol or something). That being said the ability to overdose does not contribute to the actual bodily harm. There are actually a lot of naturally occurring drugs that are pretty much non-overdosable but can still mess up the body. I still think marijuana is one of them. In terms of pulmonary immunosuppression I've known many people who contracted a lung virus/bacterium thought "Oh I'll just keep smoking weed and it will go away", and ended up almost dead in the hospital with a virus/bacterium ravaging their STILL immunosuppressed lungs that allowed the virus/bacterium to enter in the first place. Mycobacterium tuberculosis can kill you faster (and more painfully) than lung cancer and unlike lung cancer many lung diseases do not really have treatments (vaccines yes but not treatments and vaccines do not work if you are immunosuppressed). Like how it is hard to OD on nicotine but develop lung cancer/lung obstruction the same goes for MJ. It is pretty much impossible to OD on but that says nothing on the effects of the body. Remember that no one knew nicotine was so bad until roughly the 1970s so whose to say the same thing isn't happening with MJ.

Again on the flip side, the immunosuppression is great for patients with AIDs/chemotherapy patients because it helps them eat by affecting one of the receptor systems that deal with hunger. For people with a lot of pain that could be caused by over-reaction of the immune system which in turns affect the nervous system or just general pain like with multiple sclerosis or arthritis marijuana is great to help them deal with the effects while on other medication.

I think its a great step, for I don't think it will change the smoking culture at all. Like, those who smoke will continue to smoke, those who don't wont. It will help lessen the overcrowding in prisons. Also, people can not just relax a bit.

Again I would kind of have to disagree. I know many people who don't smoke it but would gladly start if it was legal. The smoking culture would change. Also at my school if you don't smoke/like weed you are stigmatized and criticized due to the pro-legalization crowd's sayings like "It cures cancer" and other types of BS. Someone has actually told me I am "pro-cancer" because I don't like to smoke it. I can already see the teen peer pressure growing! Those people at my school are also not relaxed. Actually, in terms of how much they bully other people who don't like the stuff they are the complete opposite of relaxed. I do agree that it will help lessen overcrowded prisons and that prison time is too much for small possession (a fine would be better).

3 people like this

To be honest, I actually voted against it in Colorado, mostly because there really wasn't plan for what to do if it was to pass. Right now our state government isn't sure how to proceed considering the state law now conflicts with the federal law. If there was more of a clear plan on how to handle the legal sale then I might have voted for it but now it just seems like we are stumbling around trying to figure out what to do next.

3 people like this

To be honest, I actually voted against it in Colorado, mostly because there really wasn't plan for what to do if it was to pass. Right now our state government isn't sure how to proceed considering the state law now conflicts with the federal law. If there was more of a clear plan on how to handle the legal sale then I might have voted for it but now it just seems like we are stumbling around trying to figure out what to do next.

I completely agree!!!! When I look at the plans for marijuana legalization in California, Colorado and Washington they really don't have an actual plan. It seems like they are doing a "Well let's see if it sinks or swim" type of plan. I see little about what they want to do to regulate it or even tax it. It is like they are just reacting to the public's request without thinking about any consequence that could arise. They are buying the expensive house without working out how to pay for it lol.

1 person likes this

I actually just heard my state senator talking about this yesterday since he came to my class. He said the law enforcement's going to have a tough time, since technically the national law trumps the state law, so any feds could come into Colorado and arrest anyone with pot, even though it's "legal" there. However, it will be interesting to see what the local law enforcement does about it, whether they refuse to comply with the feds or what. I guess we'll have to see what goes down, or if the federal government will do anything about it.

1 person likes this

Honestly, I don't see how any real good can come of it. Seriously, have you ever seen someone who is stoned? I have. Pot significantly reduces one's reaction time and ability to judge situations. With that being said, I hope no one is out toking it up while driving. Just like alcohol, marijuana is also mind-altering. And with it being legal, it's my opinion that more people will definitely be open to trying it. Most people believe that it wouldn't be legalized if it was "that bad" for you.

4 people like this

Honestly, I don't see how any real good can come of it. Seriously, have you ever seen someone who is stoned? I have. Pot significantly reduces one's reaction time and ability to judge situations. With that being said, I hope no one is out toking it up while driving. Just like alcohol, marijuana is also mind-altering. And with it being legal, it's my opinion that more people will definitely be open to trying it. Most people believe that it wouldn't be legalized if it was "that bad" for you.

I don't really know what to say here, but I do know that I'm not thrilled about it. I mean yeah, LOTS of people smoke pot, but at least I don't have to be around it out in the open! LOL Not saying that people don't smoke it in the open at all, I just think it will become a lot more 'in your face' now that it's legal to light up a joint. I don't like being around drunks, and I certainly don't want to be around people that are high. Maybe it won't happen like this lol, I could be exaggerating the situation.

2 people like this

I'd prefer marijuana to be legal than cigarettes. (: I'd write more, but I'd write a LOT

2 people like this

who cares if people smoke marijuana or not? it's their body--they can do what they want with it. at least now all these senseless "crimes" of marijuana possession will be ceased.

2 people like this

who cares if people smoke marijuana or not? it's their body--they can do what they want with it. at least now all these senseless "crimes" of marijuana possession will be ceased.

I couldn't agree more.

I don't think it is a question of "What a person can do with their body?" it seems to be more of "will this type of action harm society". For example, there is this one day at my college and it is okay to smoke marijuana (but illegal to buy). My friend had a next door neighbor who smoked M.J on this on day. The students are not required to smoke the stuff outside (somehow people get around smoke detectors) It is his body and he's doing what he wants. She began having an asthmatic reaction to the stuff. She knocked on his door and told him. He stated that he didn't care and that she was lying about having an attack due to mj. She called the police, the police were equally lenient and just asked the guy to open his window. He didn't open his window and so she just decided to go to another dorm until the whole day was over and done. This is an example of a person doing what they wanted but their actions led to the harming of another person. This is also an example of the system failing. The police should have protected the person whose life was in danger. The girl's life was at stake and the police was pretty much siding with the jerk.

Another example could be this one incident where a mom was caught smoking m.j and her kids were taken away. Instead of stopping the m.j all together to get her kids back she continued smoking. She claimed that the stuff made her healthy (she had no medical illness) and made her sex great so she basically put m.j before her kids. But hey "It was her body, she could do whatever she wants" even though she was endangering her children.

While I understand the claim that it is a person's body and they should do what they want ( I'm not against that right) but I simply wish there were more scientific evidence and a stronger police system to protect those who do not/cannot smoke or are affected by another's actions with smoking. I'm not seeing any of that in the other states. I believe that claim is conditional "a person has the right to do whatever they want to their body as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else". People often forget that this plant is not some miracle drug, it can still harm people, people can still get addicted- its not green tea or something. It is still a drug- not really a narcotic but it deserves an FDA review like every other drug on the market. And until there are some more medical evidence as to what the stuff does, how much should be taken for therapeutic effect, and an effective taxing/regulation plan people will be continuously in the dark and have no knowledge of its benefits/adverse health effects.

1 person likes this

This question always brings to mind some Woodstock leftover... Willie Nelson looking... Lost in the 60's Hippy...

Potsmokers have been trying to find a way to legalize smoking it for as long as I can remember. Dress it up and put bows on it...I'm still not buying into it.

Side note... recreation drugs (even the legalized ones), alcohol and cigarettes are a definate deal breaker for me.  

2 people like this

There is no thing that is more absurd that this stipulation... look ill break it down w/in 6 liners...

The only reason it is illegal is because of the Paper companies of the 30's and all of the other big corporations who want to make money off it being illegal... it can be used for textile, food, oil, clothing, rope, smoking for many ailment ext and btw has been use for these thing for the past 2000 years, its is the #1 cash crop in America, yet illegal... you see the list is superfluous... next is that it is good for Banks, Big GOV, Prison Complex Corporations and the Cartels, you C, the cartels make a shit tone of money and have the Pharmaceutical companies in there back pocket... no sick people, no business... no cure, only treatment... The Big banks Launder the Cartels money, Pharma pays for the transportation, the DEA turns a Blind eye to it and they put innocent, non violent drug offenders in prison for a victimless crime...smh wtf?? right!?!!?!!