Invincible

Is it okay for guy friends to say you're beautiful?

23 posts in this topic

I've always struggled with this because I feel like "beautiful" is something a guy should reserve for a gf/wife. I mean the female friends I have are beautiful inside and out, but I'm always hesitant to say it because I'm afraid they may get the wrong idea and interpret that as romantic interest (which may or may not be true). But sometimes I find myself in situations where a female friend complains that she feels ugly and I feel like it's my duty to reassure them that they not. But I can't just say, "No, you look fine." In their minds, it may mean average. No girl wants to feel average. So, I just tell them, "No, I think you''re beautiful." But then I wonder if it's appropriate because she might get the wrong idea.

What do you think? Do you think it's appropriate for your guy friends to tell you that you're beautiful? Would that make you wonder if he likes you?

5 people like this

Hey Vince!

I think it's great (and appreciated!) to tell a female friend she's beautiful. I know I appreciate hearing it, and I don't assume anything...I just graciously accept the compliment. I think we as humans should be able to express our appreciation of beauty without someone assuming it means anything. There would have to be more said/done than that for me to think a man is interested. I'm really bad at reading those signs...I NEVER know if a guy likes me.

So, go for it! Your friends will appreciate it. :-)

9 people like this

I think it's perfectly fine, not that any of my male friends call me beautiful! I certainly wouldn't assume anything either!

2 people like this

Hey Vince!

I think it's great (and appreciated!) to tell a female friend she's beautiful. I know I appreciate hearing it, and I don't assume anything...I just graciously accept the compliment. I think we as humans should be able to express our appreciation of beauty without someone assuming it means anything. There would have to be more said/done than that for me to think a man is interested. I'm really bad at reading those signs...I NEVER know if a guy likes me.

So, go for it! Your friends will appreciate it. :-)

I vote fully with Mali :-) We owe the smile of recognition of beauty - inner, outer, by virtue of a good mood or a great outlook on life - to everyone we meet... What you radiate > sends impact elsewhere :-) and what you recognize and appreciate > sends value elsewhere :-)

4 people like this

The first time anyone (beside my family) told me I was beautiful was when one of my guy-friends told me at my prom. I just remember feeling all fuzzy inside...That was sweet of him.

xxx

5 people like this

Hi Vince

I think it would be perfectly fine for you to tell your friends that they are beautiful. The words in themselves should not suggest that you are romantically interested in them. Now if you said it while making googly eyes at them and with your tongue hanging out of your mouth now that might be a different story!! Don't over-think it and do/say what feels natural in the moment.

5 people like this

Vince my man.. I know this thread is towards the ladies ^_^. But honestly, you can tell your female friends they look beautiful. They like it as a compliment :) and make them feel good... or you can even make their day when you tell them that. If a female friend of mine looks good.. I tell her.. #name# can I give you a compliment? and if she say yes. I tell her, you look good :)

5 people like this

i love receiving compliments! its all about delivery though haha.

"you look good" can be taken 2 ways based on delivery.

3 people like this

I actually don't ever like it when someone calls me "beautiful." That's because 95% of the time, they are just saying it to be nice - it sounds shallow and meaningless. Not saying I look ugly, but beautiful is quite a majestic word and I walk around in yoga pants and t-shirts. I can tell when someone truly thinks I look beautiful, and only then will I accept the compliment. I have nothing wrong with someone calling me "cute." So no, I hate being called beautiful. I also DESPISE it when people tell me I look like I've lost weight because A) I haven't, and B ) I am not so insecure that I need to be told I'm getting thinner. Please. Give me some credit. Yeah, bugs me so much when people say that to me. I'm not even trying to lose weight.

1 person likes this

Hey, EB. Good question! Honestly when I think of it, I can remember being called "beautiful" by one or two guy friends. I haven't ever forgotten it. It's just nice for someone who knows you well, but isn't romantically involved with you to appreciate your beauty. I didn't ever think anything "extra" of it than just a compliment. I tell them that they're handsome or compliment their cologne or outfit when they look nice. That doesn't mean I "like" them. Compliments should be shared. Just don't be creepy about it haha. That'd be uncomfortable. But I think it's a nice gesture, especially when/if she's feeling down on herself. Besides... Beauty isn't just about the outside. As a matter of a fact, that's what made my friend's compliment so special is because he said "you're pretty on the outside, but you're beautiful from the inside out." I was like "umm... wow. Thank you so much." I was kind of in shock. I had just went through something difficult and I was kind of bumming out about having to make the decision I made, and he just felt the need to speak honestly, I guess. It was much appreciated. Mind you, he is in a relationship and has been for 2 years, now. But it was still nice to hear that from a guy friend of mine who knows me well. We weren't (and aren't) flirtatious or anything like that. Just two friends who recognize each other for who they are.

I actually believe its healthy as much as it is just appreciative to tell a friend you think they are beautiful..i know i love hearing that from friends.Telling someone you think they are beautiful doesnt mean you see them that way.However saying beautiful is ok what MAY maybe not ok is saying they are gorgeous,sexy,sultry and stunning.idk

When I was dating my ex, he used to tell all of his girlfriends that they were beautiful, etc, called them Love, and it bothered me, Part of the problem may have been because I was never confident in myself and my beauty. He was just one of those guys that wasnt right for me.

Anyway definitely, if a girl is feeling down, do reassure her! But honestly, if its one of those girls that just post inappropriate pictures and say "omg im sooo ugly", then no.

Heck no Vince! Say it away! Jk not overboard or anything but like everyone else said yeah it can do no harm. Like I had a lot of guy friends always tell me they thought I was beautiful and it was the sweetest thing ever! Always made my day! Just don't go telling other girl you think they are beautiful when you have a gf/wife cus that will hurt her feelings if you are checking other girls out! :P

2 people like this

Hi Vince

I think it would be perfectly fine for you to tell your friends that they are beautiful. The words in themselves should not suggest that you are romantically interested in them. Now if you said it while making googly eyes at them and with your tongue hanging out of your mouth now that might be a different story!! Don't over-think it and do/say what feels natural in the moment.

hahahahahahahahahahah!!!! That is too funny!!!! Been there before! Boys are silly!!! lol

2 people like this

When I was dating my ex, he used to tell all of his girlfriends that they were beautiful, etc, called them Love, and it bothered me, Part of the problem may have been because I was never confident in myself and my beauty. He was just one of those guys that wasnt right for me.

Anyway definitely, if a girl is feeling down, do reassure her! But honestly, if its one of those girls that just post inappropriate pictures and say "omg im sooo ugly", then no.

Yeah like they are seeking a compliment or something! Really?!? That's annoying!

2 people like this

I say it jokingly sometimes, and I sometimes say it to reassure a a friend if she's feeling especially self concious at that time.

1 person likes this

Agree with all the girls' posts on here. If they don't like it their nonverbal signs will let you know. Haha

1 person likes this

What do you think? Do you think it's appropriate for your guy friends to tell you that you're beautiful? Would that make you wonder if he likes you?

Well.. if a girl is complaining that she may be perceived as "ugly" then she is INVITING you to state otherwise..

To me, if a guy says that I am beautiful, I DO interpret that as he likes me as more than a friend.  I don't want a guy-friend to compliment me on my appearance and try to flatter me if he is just friends!  He would be misleading me (which is not very nice if I like him as more than friends and he only sees me as a friend). 

If I were married, I wouldn't want my husband to tell his girl-friends that they are beautiful either.  That's their husbands/boyfriends/girl-friends jobs, not my husband's.

Yep Queen if i told a girl she is beautiful then its a "Hello". But of course if a friend says to you she is ugly then beautiful is in order as a pick me up, a wake up or whatever.

Beautiful in the body or mind are of course two different things. Get the two and hey your lucky..

Col xxxxxxxx

1 person likes this

As long as my husband thinks I'm beautiful, I don't need anyone else in the world to tell me they think so as well.  Now if we're talking about a single guy complimenting a single girl, okay.  But it still crosses the line of just friends and is somewhat flirtatious. 

1 person likes this

I think it's just fine. no problem as long as it is not like it means something else that's not appropriate. 

1 person likes this

I haven't read all of the responses, but I agree with the ones that say it's ok. As for if they will read more into it... I think, like many other things, that depends on the woman. From experience, I can tell you that it's nice to hear. Especially when you might not really be feeling like it. If I like LIKE a guy, I might HOPE that it means a little more, but I try not to over think it. If he likes me there will be other ways of telling... even though I'm not very good at those signs. Overall, though, it's just a really nice thing to hear once in a while. A compliment, of any kind, has the power to lift your spirit and mood. Probably because a compliment helps you to see yourself through someone elses eyes... and, if what you're seeing about yourself is positive... well, that's always a nice feeling.

2 people like this