Jegsy Scarr

What's everyone's views on purity rings?

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

So, I know that there's already a couple of members on here who wear purity rings. What I was wondering was, what does everyone else think about them? Do you think they're a good idea to show other people you're waiting? My biggest concern would be, in this day and age, would other people, even others who are WTM, recognise the ring and understand what it was?

I actually own a purity ring, of sorts: a little gold band with a cross and a diamond. One of my relatives got me it for my first Communion, but it still fits, and I figure it'd do as a ring until I perhaps bought an actual one. So I wanted your opinion on whether or not you think I should wear it, at school, or when I 'm going out with friends, perhaps.

Anyway, love to hear what you think about it! In my opinion, I reckon if enough of us wore them, maybe we'd have a better chance of finding like-minded people!

xxx

I definitely think it would make us easier to identify each other if we all wore them, but overall I don't see myself wearing one, probably just because I'm a guy and not really into jewelry (except maybe a dress watch for nice occasions).

I'll admit though that if I saw a girl with a ring on her finger, asked whether she was married, and heard that it was a purity ring...my interest in her would skyrocket.

Sub-question: Do those of you that wear purity rings wear them on your left hand, or your right hand? Or does that matter?

Hey!

Mike:

Sub-question: Do those of you that wear purity rings wear them on your left hand, or your right hand? Or does that matter?

I think you can wear it on either hand and any finger, but I know that most people wear them on their left ring finger, the idea being that they'll wear it there until they can replace it with a wedding ring (or, I guess, an engagement ring, and just move the purity ring to a different finger. Either way, you'd stop wearing it once you had a wedding ring).

I'll admit though that if I saw a girl with a ring on her finger, asked whether she was married, and heard that it was a purity ring...my interest in her would skyrocket.

That'd be my problem: if guys had no idea what the ring was, they might just assume I was married, or engaged.

I definitely think it would make us easier to identify each other if we all wore them, but overall I don't see myself wearing one, probably just because I'm a guy and not really into jewelry (except maybe a dress watch for nice occasions).

Well...

ThatGuy:

You're in for a nice treat... you get to hear from a guy with a purity ring (I guess it's a purity ring)

I got the ring earlier this year as a birthday gift to myself. It's sterling silver and black; the black part has a crown of thorns wrapped around it... nice and manly (IMO too many purity rings are feminine). The bottom part of the ring has a Bible verse inscribed on it. Inside the ring is inscribed "I Will Wait"

See, Mike, that sounds nice! Very masculine...

I think some definitely would. Depends on the person though. Some people have no idea what purity rings are, and couldn't care less about abstinence; these ppl would have no idea you were waiting. However, if it's a like minded person, than that may be a signal to them (some of my non like-minded co-workers MIGHT suspect what my ring is about, but confidence can go a long way). If a person knows you well enough and sees you with that ring, that person may think that you are waiting. Maybe a guy would notice :-D

Good point! I suppose a like-minded person would get what it was, or at least figure it was some kind of religious thing...either way, it might attract the right sorts of guys...

At the end of the day it's your decision, but my vote is to wear it... everywhere.

Yeah...I would like to wear it all the time, if I was going to wear it. Only problem would be that not every member of my family knows I'm waiting, so that could be a bit awkward... "Oh, this? It's a purity ring..."...apart from that, I don't see why I wouldn't wear it all the time...

Anyway, thanks for your advice guys!

xxx

i like mine its a nice reminder, don't get one with a stone if it falls out it cost a fortune to fix :)

I plan to get a purity ring soon, hopefully for Christmas, I already have one picked out. Some think people who wear purity rings are just being showy and think they are better than everyone else. I personally just want one as a little reminder to myself and so that at my wedding ceremony my husband can remove my purity ring and replace it with a wedding band. Maybe pass it on to my daughter one day if she makes that decision for herself. Some people get the wrong impression from it, and you might get some questions, but I'm proud of my decision and there's no reason not to wear one if you want it for the right reasons. But I also agree with you don't NEED a ring to prove your waiting and not everyone approves of putting your virginity out there for the world to see, but it's your personal decision. And to Andi, not all are expensive. I just plan on getting a simple band with "true love waits" written on it, they tend not to cost too much on most sites. :)

See, Mike, that sounds nice! Very masculine...

Haha. Touche, Jegs. I seem to be in the minority. After reading everybody's replies...now I kind of want one. :lol:

Hey!

Sarah Elizabeth:

I personally just want one as a little reminder to myself and so that at my wedding ceremony my husband can remove my purity ring and replace it with a wedding band.

Sarah Elizabeth, that's beautiful! That's just so symbolic...Right, I'm getting my husband to do that...

ThatGuy:

Spot on, Jegs! You're like a purity ring expert lol!

Lol! Thanks, ThatGuy! It was just an educated guess...

Andi:

i want one!

Mike:

I seem to be in the minority. After reading everybody's replies...now I kind of want one.

Yay! Now everyone's interested!

xxx

Hi everybody! Personally, I do wear a purity ring. It's a choice I made at the beginning of high school. I saw the Jonas Brothers wearing them, but I CERTAINLY did not choose to wear one because of that; it was just how I found out such a thing existed! Mike, traditionally they're supposed to be worn on the left ring finger, and, like it was already said, eventually be replaced by a wedding band (it is also traditionally moved to the right ring finger when it is replaced by an engagement ring). I struggled with my choice to wear a purity ring all summer. I find that, especially at my work, many people mistake it for a wedding band. I'm constantly asked if I'm married. I feel like it may make people turn away only because they think that I'm married.

Also, Andi, mine wasn't expensive at all! I got it at Boscov's, and have had it for almost 1.5 years. It really held up well! It's just three sterling silver bands overlapping each other with the word "Purity" written on one.

Actually, over the summer I stopped wearing my purity ring. It wasn't because my belief had changed one bit; I just got to thinking that I don't need a piece of silver to prove what I believe (I already know that in my heart). I would never be ashamed to share my belief with anybody who asked, I just didn't think that I needed it displayed all the time. I KNOW what I stand for.

When I went back to school this year, I decided to put it back on. As I said on my previous post, I broke up with an ex-boyfriend at the beginning of the summer and he thought the ring (and the whole idea of purity) was a joke, and even went around telling his friends so. I decided that by not wearing the ring, it would look like I had given up my belief simply because of what he said about me, which is completely not true. I will continue to wear it through the rest of the school year.

After that, I don't know. I love my belief and am proud of it, but I'll be starting at college and it would be a good time to stop wearing it if I choose to. Again, it's not because I'm changing my belief, just because I don't know if I need to display it all the time and lose potential matches because they think I'm already married/engaged!

‘Purity Rings’… uhuh! I have heard of it! Well here in India, the concept of purity rings is absolutely non-existent! I mean not even in the Christian community as far as I know. I have not seen anybody wearing them till date. May be because here WTM is the social norm so, nothing else is required separately to establish that a boy/girl is a waiter. As a matter of fact I only came to know about the stuff last year & that too from the internet!

But as I have already mentioned to some of you already that the contemporary Indian society it quite (if not completely) different from what it looks like from the surface! :( The thing is more and more people here are giving in to the sin of the flesh… IT’S JUST THAT NO ONE TALKS ABOUT IT! That way I think most of the Indians actually live a lie every single day of their lives. :(

However, I personally like the idea of having such a thing symbolizing our stand. But as of now, I don’t think I will ever buy one as:

1. I am not at all into jewelry.

2. I don’t want a wonderful lady WAITER to think of me as a married guy, at the first glance! :lol::P

But no one should be under the impression that I am ashamed of my decision to wait or I am scared to accept it in public! I am even ready to share this on the Oprah Winfrey Show (well… if given a chance :lol: ).

Jegs, well I think your decision to wear one should be influenced only by how you feel about sharing it with others. :) Now don’t confuse this with the fear of being criticized or ridiculed by the village idiots… it’s just that some people want to keep it private while others don’t. So if you want to show the world what you stand for then by all means go ahead… don’t give a damn what your friends or others say or think! :)

Exactly!!

Precisely why I wear mine on my right hand :-).

Hmmm that is a good idea! But right now I'm wearing my class ring on my right hand.... oh, decisions, decision! :)

Honestly? I love the idea but I hate wearing jewelry. lol. Maybe one day I'll get one, but I have still not decided if I am waiting until marriage. I mean, if my One True Love is completely against the idea of marriage because his parents had a horrible divorce that scarred him, I wouldn't break up with him. I feel like if I wore a purity ring, I'd be lying to others, because I will have sex out of wedlock if my soul-mate is completely against marriage (for a good reason,) and I actually am not sure if I want to get married because my parents dated for 8 years before marrying and their marriage still went down the drain.