Sophie

Atheism and atheists: how do religious people view them?

45 posts in this topic

I dont really consider myself religious Im more spiritual and I have a relationship with God thats something only spiritual and some religious people can understand. I dont see the point in arguing that...there is no point. I know its kinda mean but I know what God has done for me so why should I care about whether other people believe me or not? My sisters agnostic we talk everyday I love her I dont know her personal relationship with God and thats her business.

I personally have no problem with athiests in fact most of my highschool friends were, I never pushed God down their throats theyve been curious and ask questions and Id tell them my story which they listened to.Then Id just go about my business, People are people everyone is different the only time I would have issue with anthiests is when some attack believers, demand that we prove there's a God or if they say "wheres your God now" in a moment of a crisis. Not that Ive personally experienced that but I have seen some of those examples occur ok your athiest great whatever helps you sleep at night...ok your christian fine thats great theres nothing wrong with that can we all just be ourselves.

1 person likes this

I'm like that too. I couldn't care less about whether someone believes in God or a purple, winged mouse...they just have to keep their beliefs to themselves entirely.

i disagree because christians sole purpose in life is to serve and follow Gods commands and spread the truth, i dont think anyone should keep their beliefs to themselves. i think athiests are just lost and not seeing the awesome power of God, theres evidence everyday that suggests God is real his fingerprints are everywhere, you just have to get focus on whats around you not whats in textbooks alone. look in nature how everything grows and the lyrics to the song consider the lillies which is based off of Bible scripture and the beginning goes like this "Consider the lilies, they don’t toil nor spin And there’s not a king with more splendor than them. Consider the sparrows, they don’t plant nor sow, But they’re fed by the Master who watches them grow." if that doesnt prove that God exists than how do you explain the miracle of childbirth, God watches over everything and everyone and he makes sure the plants get enough sunlight and rain but dont think hes too busy to care about you. we are made in his image, there is absolutely nothing in nature we are similiar too, each and everyone of us is specially made by God and he has a plan for each one of our lives. i know what some may say that its all coincedence and that theres wildfires and droughts, i cant answer everything and i may not be that smart but i know hes real and im going to continue to spread the good news. i can answer one thing about the wildfires though that wildfires are necessary (away from civilization of course) because the fire purifies the land so that afterwards new plants and trees can grow in a much cleaner environment and produce more fruit than before. also another part of the song id like to add is "May I introduce you to this friend of mine, Who hangs out the stars and tells the sun when to shine. He kisses the flowers each morning with dew, But He’s not too busy to care about you."

2 people like this

i disagree because christians sole purpose in life is to serve and follow Gods commands and spread the truth, i dont think anyone should keep their beliefs to themselves. i think athiests are just lost and not seeing the awesome power of God, theres evidence everyday that suggests God is real his fingerprints are everywhere, you just have to get focus on whats around you not whats in textbooks alone.

And atheists in turn find Christians to be deluded and nothing more than people who are in need of a greater power to turn to.

PS: Please use proper punctuation.

Just going to toss my own opinion out there, I believe in a higher power, I no longer consider myself to have any religion but something of my own faith, I don't believe a word the bible says. Now when I see things like Christians saying other people shouldn't have such out there opinions, other people don't always like it when god is being preached on a street corner all the time.

i think sometimes people tend to hate God which makes me wonder you have to believe in God before you can hate him, you cant hate something that you dont believe is there, just sayin.

This is just an observation but it feels like there has been some level of hurt on both sides. Basically someone, either religious or non-religious said something angry, hateful or ignorant to another group and I think it sometimes creates a sense that the opposing side has a general view of them when in actuality it's not really true. I truly don't think all atheist think religious people have psychological disorders (think Sam Harris) and that atheist are intrinsically better than their religious brethren. I also don't think all religious people think atheist's are going to go to Hell or something. There are bad apples in each area and they unfortunately paint a view for the rest.

There is also this sense of being completely right in one's opinion. An atheist can say "I am smarter than all religious people because I think outside the box" to a christian and think they are completely right in their statement and thus should say it and a religious person can say "You are going to Hell in a handbasket", and that too is viewed correctly. There is this strange area where despite whatever side they view their statements as truth and thus correct so they can say whatever and if the person becomes angry it is because they do not want to hear the truth. This is probably the worse because the person does not know there are fallacies in their own statement.

At the end of the day  "Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind".

1 person likes this

And atheists in turn find Christians to be deluded and nothing more than people who are in need of a greater power to turn to.

So incredibly true. That may sound unfair, but you're right.

i think sometimes people tend to hate God which makes me wonder you have to believe in God before you can hate him, you cant hate something that you dont believe is there, just sayin.

Well you would never find a true atheist saying "I hate God." Because you're right: you can't hate something you don't believe in. The vast majority of people who say they hate God are people who have faced a tragedy (or several or dozens) and blame it on h. If you hear an atheist saying "I hate God," chances are high they really mean that they hate the IDEA of God, or religion in general. If they truly mean God, they are probably one of those people that were once believers but faced too many hardships to keep the faith. And yes, you have to believe in God before you can specifically hate him.

I think there are all sorts of people on both sides. Some atheists just don't see their being a God and get that other people do. Some think people who believe in God are stupid. Some believers think atheists are dumb or immoral or something. Others think they just don't see their being a God. And there are a whole bunch of other opinions, too. This is all partially speculation on my part, though. It's not like I've interviewed a ton of people or something.

In Islam, the reality is that while atheists and agnostics are disbelievers, they are also, in many ways, closer to us than those other people who have clouded their view of God with all sorts of misconceptions. The first step (some might say leap) that an atheist/agnostic would have to make is accepting the Faceless, Imageless God known to us Muslims as Allah (we believe this to be just one of the many names of the one, true God). Secondly they would have to accept Muhammad (peace be upon him) as the final prophet and messenger of Allah (God). The interesting thing I find is, the first fourth of the shahada or testimony of faith that marks one's entrance into Islam, is essentially the statement of atheism, whereby one rejects all the false understandings of God and casts off the idols that others worship, in order to accept the Ultimate/Underlying Reality of God, from whom, according to our faith, everything else gains its reality. Hence, I personally (and a lot more Muslims than might seem) don't hold a necessarily completely antagonistic view of atheists. We're told in the Q'uran to reflect on the mysteries and beauties of Creation, since they are signs of God. However, unless God guides one in these reflections, one will not necessarily find God (there are some differences of opinion on this, among Muslim scholars). Since faith is a gift from God, regarding atheists and agnostics with disdain is forgetting how fragile one's faith really is (it could be taken away in a moment by God, if He so pleased). That being said, we're taught to view non-Muslims respectfully (whether or not Muslims actually do this is different can of worms, so to speak). Finally, I personally view that while true faith is rooted in theism, it necessarily has elements of atheism and agnosticism in it, at least in certain forms. We are taught to disbeleive in the idols and gods of so many peoples and at the same time told that our minds can't completely grasp God and thus not completely understand Him. Hence, as far as I'm concerned, to some extent, atheists and agnostics are right. However, as a Muslim, I'd have to take the stance that they miss certain parts of the picture...parts I've glimpsed as a Muslim (and my knowledge is incomplete, as I am human and can't know everything...which is partly where faith comes in and partly where reflection, observation, study and the scientific method (which Muslim scientists developed further, if not in sum total) play their attendant role in elucidating the truth in one matter or another. Just my two cents...

1 person likes this

Some of them are nice.  Some of them are jerks.  They're people, basically. 

This is spot on! And goes for religious people too :-)

I've met amazing religious and atheist people and I've met some mean religious and atheist people.

1 person likes this

Alot of atheist that i have met have been militant about it, and have been very defensive about their views and disrespectful about mine. However, i have always believed that  when it comes to people, their is no such thing as 100%. I have no doubt that some atheist are ok with Christians and religion as a whole. So really, i have no problem with atheist as long as they try to be respectful of me and my values.

1 person likes this

One has to follow their own path in life and it is a path without God, it should be respected. I have seen many different scenarios with real life friends and family where someone is not religious and they are looked down upon. 

There are many people on this forum that are devout religious people and that's great but it neither your place, nor your right to judge other people who are different from you. I am not saying that happens, but everyone's opinion is equally matched to the next. Someone may believe in God while another does not. 

As someone who is a "neutral" religious person, I find the most powerful thing that can build relationships between people is respect. Let people believe what they want to believe. It's their choice, let it be. The single biggest turn off is an unprovoked attack from a religious person to a non-religious person simply because they have a difference.

Religion does not hold all of the answers, just as non religion does not offer all of the answers.

1 person likes this

I was raised Catholic, went through a questioning period of a few years, and recommitted to Catholicism a few years ago. I have friends of many religions and some of my closest friends are atheists. I have no problem with anyone being a different religion or choosing not to identify with one. I think it's most important to respect others no matter what beliefs they hold. I don't agree with any person explicitly telling someone they're wrong or that they're going to Hell because they don't believe in God. In my eyes, that is His judgement to make and not mine.

2 people like this

There are good christians (Martin luther king jr), and there are evil christians (adolf hitler)

Good muslims (malcolm X) and evil muslims (osama bin laden)

alternatively there are Ethical people who live without religion (Bill gates) and there are evil people who live without religion (joseph stalin)

A lot of atheists are quite self-righteous and give the group a bad name. When I was Christian I was good friends with an atheist; we respected each other's beliefs and had very common interests. In fact, we still talk now that I'm agnostic.

We can mock and denounce each other's beliefs all we want, but at the end of the day no one is wrong.

1 person likes this

I'm somewhere between inclusivism and universalism when it comes to this topic (and, of course, by saying "inclusivism," I am pulling this thread into dangerous territory because what I'm about to say involves salvation, but please forgive me, because I think you'll like where I'm going with this):

Inclusivism states that, although one set of beliefs is absolutely true (how I believe Christianity is), you will be saved and admitted to heaven as long as you are faithful in what you know. This means that no matter what you are--Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, atheist, agnostic, etc.--as long as you live a good life, you'll be saved.

Universalism states, in a Christian framework, that Jesus Christ died for everyone, not only those who recognize Him as the Son of God, and therefore everyone is saved and goes to heaven, without exception. I recently read a book called "Love Wins" by Rob Bell that was about universalist theology, and I highly recommend it; I was pretty skeptical about it at first, but after my campus minister insisted I read it, I did, and it surprised me how much I loved it.

I'm not sure where I stand on universalism, but I'd like to believe it's true. At the very least, I'm an inclusivist, so as long as you're a good person, you're fine in my book. The point is, it doesn't matter to me what religious you are or aren't. The reason I brought up salvation theology is because, when some Christians (particularly evangelical or fundamentalist) come across nonbelievers, their first instinct is to try to convert them in order to save them; according to what I believe, however, you don't necessarily have to be a Christian to be saved. And because the only reason to try to convert someone is to save them, and I believe good people (and I like to think everyone is basically good, although that's a tricker theological point for another day) are already saved, so why convert someone who doesn't need to be? It doesn't matter to me what you are; I will do all that I can to show love to you regardless of what you choose to believe  :)

In a perfect world, I would love everyone to be a Christian, simply because I've experienced the love of God and the light and beauty of Christ, and I want with all of my heart for everyone to know that, too. However, I would never try to convert anyone because you all have the right to believe what you believe, just like I do. That was a long-winded way of saying, I view atheists as people, good people, and I respect their beliefs completely!

Morals are separate from religion. One's morals are decided by the individual not an institution. Basing one's morals off of religion or the bible is dangerous. One has to decide for themselves what is right and wrong. 

I was Atheist. I had almost the same exact morals as I do now as a Christian. I view Atheists as human beings just like me. God wouldn't want us to tell them that they're going to Hell. We're not God we don't know what's gonna happened to us let alone someone else. 

The religious community treats them as enemies in my opinion. You're either for the religion or you're against it. Religion is a man made institution, it's full of the same sin that God says we as individuals have.So religion, before you criticize someone else, look at your own sin.

What kind of Atheist would want to join a religion in which some of it's leaders rape kids? This happens in religion. It's not about religion, it's about God. I don't consider myself religious and I'm never going to ever, ever, ever claim a denomination. I am simply Christian like God wants me to be. God didn't call me to be Catholic, Jehovah Witness, 7th Day Adventist, Baptist, Mormon, etc... 

I'd marry an Atheist because they're not necessarily against Christianity, rather they don't believe in God.

I would not marry a woman who practices Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, or any religion that directly goes against my faith. It would create conflict. It's one thing to not acknowledge any God (Atheism), it's another to say your God is wrong our's is right (Other religions). 

I would be friends though with people of almost all religions.