Sophie

Great Teen Novels With Strong Heroines And No Underage Sex*

33 posts in this topic

The River of Times Series by Lisa T. Bergren. Gabriella is very strong and independent and doesn't have sez untill she is married. She was young though when she did. She and her sister travel back in time to medieval Italy. She is caught in a war between two warring households. There is fighting and she has to escape multiple time by her own wits. By far my favorite series.

I finally reviewed A is for Abstinence by Kelly Oram. Just be aware that both the summary and the review include spoilers for V is for Virgin.

ALSO, V is for Virgin is currently on sale for only $0.99!!!! Kelly Oram and several other indie writers have gotten together to discount a few of their books for just a few days. I might have bought five books this morning...

I've just started the third book in a series that I think a number of people on here would enjoy. It's called the "Blood of the Lamb" trilogy, by Mandy Hager, and the books are:

1. The Crossing

2. Into the Wilderness

3. Resurrection

The heroine, Maryam, is around 16 years old and VERY strong-willed, not the passive Bella Swan type girl. She grows up on a Pacific island in a dystopian future where most of the world has been destroyed by something called the Tribulation, in other words, the Biblical Apocalypse. Only her island has been saved because the native people, led by the Apostles of the Lamb (a group of white people who were shipwrecked on the island during the Tribulation), are the chosen people of the Lord. Or so it seems until Maryam makes the Crossing to the Holy City of the Apostles and discovers a sickening truth of corruption.

The themes are wonderful - religion, corruption, racism, acceptance, love, redemption… Some elements may sound anti-Christian but I can assure the Christians on here that it's not. The heroine is a doubter, but you also get the perspective of another main character who is sweet, kind, and also devoutly religious. I'd say the series is neither pro-Christian nor anti-Christian, it mostly paints a picture of both the beautiful and ugly sides of religion.

As for underage sex, so far 3/4 of the main characters are virgins. Of the 3, they have all been physically close to someone but nothing more than making out. The 4th was raped. The heroine Maryam has strong values and several times refuses sex because of her values. I don't think she's waiting until marriage but she is definitely waiting until she's older.

Of course, I haven't finished the third book yet and things might change. But so far, it's been an awesome series that I'd recommend.

1 person likes this

Tamora Pierce has a few series (quartets, really) with strong heroines and no underage sex. Yes there is sex in her novels, but nothing graphic, and always adults. My favorites are the Beka Cooper trilogy :)

And for the hopeless romantics, I recommend The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman. One of my absolute favorites!

Hereafter - a love series about a girl ghost and a boy. She is 18, dead, and still a virgin (plus, her first kiss was the boy she loves in this series.) Now I'm not sure if her virginity will last in the series, but she is dead, and 18, and has been dead for over a decade (so she's like 30.)

Hmm I might read this one... I like ghosty stories :D