Sophie

Great Teen Novels With Strong Heroines And No Underage Sex*

33 posts in this topic

*I define "underage sex" by those under the age of 18

As an 18-year-old girl who recently entered university, I am more affected than ever by book series like Gossip Girl - which I actually love - that is filled with teenage sex (although the books take it realistically.) IT IS SO HARD TO FIND A TEEN ROMANCE THAT DOESN'T HAVE SEX. The Body Finder had sex, and they were 16, Vampire Academy has teenage sex...I could go on and on. So here is a list of teen novels - whether they are books or series - that have no sex and/or have no sex before the age of eighteen. BECAUSE IT IS SO HARD TO FIND A VIRGIN WHO IS OLDER THAN SEVENTEEN IN TEEN ROMANCE.

Model - this is a hilariously wonderful autobiography of the most awesome 16-year-old girl Cheryl Diamond, a model in NYC and a girl who is waiting until marriage. This book made me decide to wait until marriage, because Cheryl ROCKS.

The Hunger Games - yep, there is romance, but absolutely no sex. Great series. This series was praised endlessly for its main character, Katniss Everdeen, who was looked upon as the first real feminist character in twenty-first century teen novels. She was seen as a breath of fresh air and a great role model, especially when compared to Bella Swan.

Twilight - Bella waited until marriage, and while many people don't like this series, it HAS encouraged teen girls to wait (I know two of them.) So yes, there is sex, but she is 18, almost 19, and married. And it was Edward who wanted to wait until marriage, so this series shows that it is not just women who value sex: men do, too.

Hereafter - a love series about a girl ghost and a boy. She is 18, dead, and still a virgin (plus, her first kiss was the boy she loves in this series.) Now I'm not sure if her virginity will last in the series, but she is dead, and 18, and has been dead for over a decade (so she's like 30.)

Bloodlines - our heroine, Sydney Sage, is 18 and still a virgin...most likely unkissed as well. But I am not sure how her virginity status will remain at the end of the series.

Graceling - Katsa starts out 18, kickass, and still a virgin. No, she is not a virgin at the end of the series, but again: she is 18.

13 Little Blue Envelopes - the romance is sweet and touching in this two-book series, but Ginny walks out of it 18, still a virgin, and a very smart girl.

Distant Waves - I adore the main character of this novel, Jane Taylor. It takes place during the Titanic. It is a wonderful novel, it has a touching romance, but Jane is 19 and still a virgin in the Epilogue (although she would have lost it at 17 if she had the chance to marry...well, I won't spoil it.) Jane is such a strong girl for her time - all her siblings are.

Pure - this book is about a group of 15-year-old friends who have sworn to wait until marriage before having sex (for religious reasons, mostly.) Well...Cara breaks this promise and sleeps with her boyfriend. Should her friends completely shun her, or accept her decision and continue to consider her a part of their friendship? It touches so much on the topic of pre-marital sex and waiting until marriage.

Darkest Powers - this is a three novel series by Kelley Armstrong, and gives a very realistic portrayal of teen romance. The heroine is barely 15, and the romance takes so long to develop (in a good way) that I frequently questioned who would end up with who. A very sweet, G-rated romance in this series. Warning: it is a horror series and not for the fainthearted.

Pride and Prejudice - okay, arguably not a teen novel but I read it at 14 and loved it. It takes place in the 1700's, so naturally there is no premarital sex for our awesome twenty-year-old heroine, Elizabeth Bennett. The romance is handled very tastefully, and yet it is still one of the most beloved romance novels in English literature. All novels by Jane Austen do not contain pre-marital sex, I believe.

Need - is a Trilogy by Carrie Jones. It is a paranormal teen romance that centers around fairies and were-rabbits, were-eagles (basically were-animals.) The main character, Zara White, is a very unique, fun girl, and the romance is G-rated and there is an awesome love triangle spun into the story.

Infernal Devices- this Trilogy is actually the "prequel" for The Mortal Instruments, but it was published afterwards so there is no specific order you have to read it in. The series has yet to be completed, but seeing as it takes place in the 1800's with a conservative (but very strong and talented) heroine, I highly doubt there will be any sex. Anyone who is fascinated with 19th Century London, Alchemy, and Steampunk will love this series! Not to mention the awesome characters.

Sweetblood - this unconventional novel by Pete Hautman centers around a 16-year-old girl named Lucy Szabo. She is diabetic, a self-proclaimed "vampire" (in her own terms,) and dresses very Goth (but says that she isn't Goth at all.) Anyone who is diabetic should read this story, and you don't have to be diabetic, Goth, or weird to love this book and Lucy. She is, oddly enough, a very likeable character that I identified strongly with. She's tough, and can take care of herself. This is a story about a teenage girl struggling very hard with her identity and her diabetes. In the end, she finds out who she is. She may not like it 100%, but she learns to love herself and live life as an original person.

The Forbidden Game - this Trilogy by LJ Smith is both a heartbreaking romance and a genuine horror story that actually made me frightened. If you liked Jumanji, you will love this story. And even if you don't, you still will! No book series has managed to freak me out so much (except for Dark Visions,) while still making me close to tears at the end. G-rated romance with strong characters.

Dark Visions - Now THIS is a scary Trilogy, seriously. But I absolutely love it. LJ Smith has done it again in this paranormal, psychic teen romance. The plot itself doesn't seem original: psychic kids get taken in by evil training facility pretending to be good and they escape and have to fight evil, blah blah blah...but no, this is a great series. And did I mention disturbing?

All novels by LJ Smith, to the best of my knowledge, have no sex in them. Even Vampire Diaries (but there is sex in the TV series.)

Harry Potter - hopefully there is no need for an explination here. Everyone who is anyone knows what Harry Potter is, and hundreds of millions of people have read the series. There is absolutely no sex, PG romance, and who can't help but root for Ron and Hermione?

Unearthly - This is, I believe, a Trilogy. It is a stunning story about Heaven, Nephilims...and some wonderful creative twists thrown in by the author. This is one of the most beautiful angel books I have ever read. And get this: it is the male who wants to wait until marriage, not the girl. He just doesn't feel comfortable with pre-marital sex, and I was upset when she pressured him. It doesn't seem like there's going to be any sex in this series. The main character is 17, and (I think) has recently graduated grade twelve at the end of the second book. If underage sex does happen, I will remove this series from the list.

The Dark Divine - I absolutely adore this epic trilogy. Want to guess why? Not only does it have an awesome werewolf story, but the main character is waiting until marriage before having sex. Not only does her boyfriend, Daniel, support this, but they both agreed not to get married until graduation from university. There are Christian undertones to this book because the Divine family is very Christian, and the father is even a pastor. Plus the werewolf stories revolve around the Hounds of Heaven or something. But you definitely do not have to be Christian to love this series, or even have any religion.

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side - this is a vampire series that was released in the height of the Twilight era. The seventeen-year-old, unkissed main character, Jessica, has always known that she was adopted and that her real name is Anastasia...what she doesn't know is that her parents were acually vampires, she is a vampire princess, and her vampire fiancé Lucius has come to her town to whisk her away to Romania. Jessica and Lucius do not engage in sex until she is eighteen and they are married.

Can anyone recommend other teen novels that have no sex, or at least no sex until age 18?

3 people like this

Thanks Sophie!!

Awesome idea--I'm reading Hunger Games right now & really like it!! I love Twilight too btw. I have read some of Gossip Girls,but stopped because it was sooo heavily focused on guys/hooking up/sex & money that it just didn't really 'get' me so to speak. I'll let you know what I find.....

Thanks Sophie!!

Awesome idea--I'm reading Hunger Games right now & really like it!! I love Twilight too btw. I have read some of Gossip Girls,but stopped because it was sooo heavily focused on guys/hooking up/sex & money that it just didn't really 'get' me so to speak. I'll let you know what I find.....

Yeah, Gossip Girl was some times a bit hard for me to read but I identified so much with Jenny and I adore Blair, so I actually enjoyed the series a lot. At least all of the hook-ups happened in grade twelve and the summer after high school graduation - so they were 17 and 18. At first, it may seem grossly inappropriate, but it is actually a satirical series that is making fun of teenage hormones, teen partying, NYC teenagers, rich teens, cliques, NYC in general, etc. It's all satire, which I love. ^.^

Has anyone read that new book, "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern? It looked interesting, kinda a Harry Potter-Twilight crossover in ways?

Has anyone read that new book, "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern? It looked interesting, kinda a Harry Potter-Twilight crossover in ways?

No, but I have been meaning to. Once the horrors of university midterms pass over, I will definitely be reading that book. I have heard great things. :)

I love you for posting this, Sophie. You've posted so many that I think we've got enough to populate an official Reading List page on the main website if we wanted to. B)

I'll get right on that...

I love you for posting this, Sophie. You've posted so many that I think we've got enough to populate an official Reading List page on the main website if we wanted to. B)

I'll get right on that...

That's great! :) I definitely have more titles if you need any.

That's great! I definitely have more titles if you need any.

Yes! More titles! All the titles you have!

1 person likes this

Yes! More titles! All the titles you have!

lol. Okay, I am going to post more titles (Need, Infernal Devices, Sweetblood, The Forbidden Game, and Dark Visions,) up in the original post.

If it's okay, Here are 4 books I like. These 4 books comprise a series:

Last Light

Night Light (winner of the 2007 Retailer's Choice Award for General Fiction)

True Light

Dawn's Light

An astrological abnormality has caused a phenomena known as the "Pulses" where extra radiation is sent to the Earth, knocking out the entire planet's electricity! Set in contemporary time, the Restoration Series explores the journey of the Branning family as they navigate through a world void of producing any electricity. Author Terri Blackstock incorporates mystery, murder, suspense, and love in this series - outdoing herself with each novel.

(Deni Branning, the protagonist, is a beautiful, educated, motivated, and determined female. She is unmarried, has love interests, and does not engage in sex).

(Disclaimer: There are Christian undertones in this book)

1 person likes this

If it's okay, Here are 4 books I like. These 4 books comprise a series:

Last Light

Night Light (winner of the 2007 Retailer's Choice Award for General Fiction)

True Light

Dawn's Light

An astrological abnormality has caused a phenomena known as the "Pulses" where extra radiation is sent to the Earth, knocking out the entire planet's electricity! Set in contemporary time, the Restoration Series explores the journey of the Branning family as they navigate through a world void of producing any electricity. Author Terri Blackstock incorporates mystery, murder, suspense, and love in this series - outdoing herself with each novel.

(Deni Branning, the protagonist, is a beautiful, educated, motivated, and determined female. She is unmarried, has love interests, and does not engage in sex).

(Disclaimer: There are Christian undertones in this book)

Sounds like a fascinating series! I'll definitely check it out when I have time. :) Thanks for the recommendation.

Awesomeness. 5 bucks says the last book makes you cry :-)

I'll take that bet. No book has ever made me cry except The Half-Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows. Wait...Chobits volume 7 made me cry.

I recommend "A Walk to Remember" by Nicholas Sparks. It is a teen romance (with no sex) about a man who recalls his romance with the preacher's daughter. This book has some Christian undertones.

1 person likes this

All novels by Jane Austen do not contain pre-marital sex, I believe.

Didn't one of the Bennett girls in Pride and Prejudice run off with someone and fornication was implied? Or perhaps it was just elopement...I can't remember. And yes, I've read Jane Austen and actually enjoyed it (oh dear, sorry masculinity...)

One of the things I learnt from P&P was just how important it was to be careful of your actions because of the perceptions people can get from anything.

But most of all, I learnt this: Beware of meddling women. (Sexist, perhaps, but men didn't really meddle in P&P all that much :P)

Didn't one of the Bennett girls in Pride and Prejudice run off with someone and fornication was implied? Or perhaps it was just elopement...I can't remember. And yes, I've read Jane Austen and actually enjoyed it (oh dear, sorry masculinity...)

Sex was not implied in the book, but it was in the BBC movie. No, Mr. Wickham and Lydia ran off together because he told her he loved her and wanted to marry her. He said they were going to elope together and get married by themselves. In reality, he had no intention of marrying her unless he got ten-thousand pounds (some sort of money currency.) There is pre-marital sex in some of her books, but it is all among adults - usually adults who have children (like Lady Susan.)

And don't worry about your "masculinity." lol. I'll be lucky to find a guy who loves Jane Austen as much as I do! If at all....

Ahh thanks Sophie :) Yeah I read P&P as a literary exercise (I was trying to read all the classic books) and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's nothing quite like reading them insult each other and using a paragraph to do so to make it sound like a compliment. I would've LOVED those days if I were alive then!

1 person likes this

Ahh thanks Sophie :) Yeah I read P&P as a literary exercise (I was trying to read all the classic books) and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's nothing quite like reading them insult each other and using a paragraph to do so to make it sound like a compliment. I would've LOVED those days if I were alive then!

Doesn't it all seem just so sophisticated? Even when they insult each other they still sound poised and high-class. lol. And where's my Mr. Darcy?!

1 person likes this

Sex was not implied in the book, but it was in the BBC movie. No, Mr. Wickham and Lydia ran off together because he told her he loved her and wanted to marry her. He said they were going to elope together and get married by themselves. In reality, he had no intention of marrying her unless he got ten-thousand pounds (some sort of money currency.) There is pre-marital sex in some of her books, but it is all among adults - usually adults who have children (like Lady Susan.)

I think sex was implied in the book....Jane Bennet made a comment about it being distressing that a sister could place so little value on her virtue. Basically Lydia lived with Mr Wickham before they were married and Mr Wickham was no angel and Lydia not sensible enough to protect herself. Wickham never said he loved her they eloped on the strength of her (imagined) affections he just let her come along because he would rather have company than not. Also in Mr. Darcy's letter to Elizabeth it implies that Mr Darcy saw Mr Wickham in em shall we say compromising positions (he clearly meant sex as he apologised to Elizabeth for telling her this as it might hurt her as he believed that Elizabeth had feelings for Wickham).

It is difficult to find the references to sex as it was written in the 1700s so any sexual referencess are really buried between the lines. But I think you have to assume that if Jane Austen wrote about a couple were living together before marriage that is enough to imply pre-marital sex in those times....Jane Austen would have been highly censored and her novels banned if she was any more explicit!!

P.S. if you liked P&P I think you would love Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte....Jane Eyre is 19 and a virgin (and remains so until marriage)....the writing is very passionate and moving and it is a brilliant story. Poor Jane has huge struggles in trying to remain pure in the face of great temptation

Thanks a lot for posting these Sophie. I'm going to check them out. I've been looking for teen books wirh no sex for ages. It's really hard to find any. Thanks again. :-)

I don't know if you are already aware of it, but I ABSOLUTELY recommend "The Selection" trilogy by Keira Cass. It may remind you at first of the Hunger Games' dystopian society, but it has no other similarities. The books are romantic, funny, adventurous, with some plot twists and clean language. The writing style is easy to follow, it makes you read them in only some hours! The ending is happy and satisfying, not like Divergent or even Hunger Games. ;) The heroine is dynamic, funny, kind and brave. Yet she is not perfect and she makes mistakes, just like a real person should be described. There is no pre-marital sex, only some very romantic kiss scenes. :)

I have no words to describe the awesomeness of this series! Please read these books and I am sure you will love them immediately. :)

1 person likes this

"Angelfall" and "World After" by Susan Ee.

Two really awesome books I loved, and I can't wait for book 3.   :D

1 person likes this

I absolutely loved V is for Virgin by Kelly Oram.

I'll be reviewing the new sequel this week or next, A is for Abstinence.

And then I'll write a post with spoilers about why these two books are especially awesome for waiters. I keep all the reviews on my blog spoiler-free, but I feel like y'all would appreciate a deeper analysis of the plots and waiting.

Unwind is one of my favorite books. It also happens to be sex free. (I haven't read the rest of the series so I can't vouch for the rest of them.)

The Little Women Series

Anne of Green Gables Series

Ender's Game!!! (Also one of my favorite books)

Here's a trilogy.

Author: Jean Ferris

1. Into the Wind

2. Song of the Sea

3. Weather the Storm

Description from website:

"A trilogy chronicling the adventures of a sheltered girl who becomes involved with a dashing privateer with a secret past and an obsessive quest during the sea battles of the The War of 1812."

I've read these books numerous times! I'm 25yrs old and well past the intended age target, haha! But what can I say?! I love a good romance on the high seas! :D