Canada10024

One Desired Talent

15 posts in this topic

Hey Community:

If you could have one talent which you don't have/ were not blessed with, what would it be?

Mine would be Singing. It's something I wish I could do as I love music, but can't express myself to that level.

One talent.. mmmm... I shall say.. to be really artistic. Similar to Leonardo or Michelangelo.

I wish I had the ability to be a superb cook. To me, food isn't just a necessity, it is an art form and I would like to create it as such.

1 person likes this

Hmm...Yeah, probably cooking for me as well. I really am awful at it...That or being good with languages, that'd be cool...

xxx

Talent: "a special natural ability or aptitude"

Skill: "special ability in a task, sport, etc., especially ability acquired by training"

My difficulty in answering this question is that most of my responses would be better qualified as desired skills, not desired talents. That is to say, there are many things that I wish I could do, but the only thing that is preventing me from doing them is the fact that I have not yet devoted myself to the training I would need to do them successfully.

Thus, some skills that I would like to develop, and could potentially develop, should my motivation and determination ever be high enough, are:

*Cooking - I have yet to develop any interest in cooking, and thus avoid it, but I think it would be a good skill to have.

*Playing a musical instrument, especially guitar, piano, or violin - I have a natural talent for learning music quickly and being able to play by ear on the piano, but I have so little training that I don't have the skills to benefit from my talent.

*Car repair and maintenance - I do not have any natural talent or interest toward cars, but I would like to learn practical skills about how to take care of them so I don't have to spend a fortune sending my car to a mechanic for every little thing.

*Dancing - Apparently, I have a little bit of natural talent for this already, but I have so little training that it doesn't amount to much.

*Carpentry - I have always had an interest in this, but my fear of injury has prevented me from learning anything so far.

*Sewing and knitting - Again, I have never had enough interest to motivate me to learn more than basic sewing skills; I can embroider, sew by hand, and use a sewing machine, but I think it would be neat to have the ability to make clothes or some of those beautiful quilts displayed at the fairs. Also, I have received some lovely knit blankets and scarves throughout my life, and they seem like such thoughtful gifts; I would like to be able to make things like that for others.

*Ambidextrousness - I think it would be both awesome and useful to be able to write with both hands; I have found that as I teach students handwriting, my ability to write with my left hand has naturally improved because I give so much thought now to letter formation, but it could get a lot better.

*Reading lips - I have always wanted to develop this ability! Think how cool it would be! I should probably start watching TV on mute. Sign language would be neat to learn as well.

*Fluency - I have a natural talent for learning the Romance languages, and I do speak some Spanish, but there is so much more that I could do if I applied myself. And fluency in multiple languages would be such a useful skill to attain.

With these things, I am capable of acquiring or improving upon these abilities; the only reason I do not have these abilities to the desire I would like yet is because I haven't worked for them. Thus, it feels weird to wish for them, as it is up to me whether or not I develop them.

I suppose that, if I were to desire a specific natural talent, it would be, like so many others have said, the ability to sing well. I feel like this is something I have little natural talent in, though great passion for, and I have worked very hard to develop every singing-related skill I can through years in choir and theater. I believe that I have trained my voice to be the best that it can be; if I had been blessed with a better voice, I would have the potential to sing better than I can now, but as it is, I sing as well as my well-trained but untalented voice is capable of singing.

2 people like this

I want to be a polyglot! Wow, that will be such a great skill if I had that. I would be able to make friends easily!

1 person likes this

I would love to be able to compose music and play many instruments. There's just something so beautiful in creating music! I would also like to draw :)

2 people like this

Ahhh, It's a tie between playing the harp amazingly, and a superb singing voice. Even though it seems like a lot of people have already responded that they would like to sing!

I like how WanderingWashingtonian defined talent versus skill.

So, does an obnoxious IQ count? I've always wanted to have an IQ of like 170, or maybe a photographic memory.

I'd also like to be really convincing/good at arguing my point. There are way too many immoral people who are really good at convincing others to think a certain way. Plus, I always lose arguments because I am just not good at arguing, even if I know for 100% that I am right.

1 person likes this

So, does an obnoxious IQ count? I've always wanted to have an IQ of like 170, or maybe a photographic memory.

Oh yeah, that would be awesome!

Realistic talent I would like to have would be More creative and srgumentative power. If I had a superpower, I'd like to be able to teleport :)

I wish I could sing! I love music! I wouldn't want to sing professionally...not interested in being part of that industry. But, if I could sing, I would probably join my church's Worship Team...and karaoke would probably be much more fun!