loyalhero90

White wedding dresses on non-virgins

40 posts in this topic

I think the white dress fad started when one of the Queen's of England (Elizabeth?) got married but ever since then I think it has been seen as a sign of purity. Even the color white itself can be seen as a sign of purity. This is different from many other countries that see white as a sign of death.

But what do you gals think? Would you show your hardwork with a white dress on your wedding day or does it matter?

Most of my older relatives are slightly appaled when an obviously non-virgin woman (usually a woman who already has kids) walks down the isle in a pure white wedding gown...

1 person likes this

I will, but I would if I wasn't waiting anyway, I thought everyone wore white!

I know this is ask the girls...but I thought I'd add that I have actually thought about the irony before...seeing as how most brides aren't quote-unquote 'pure' when they marry anymore. But I think nowadays it's more abt just the tradition of wearing white and less abt purity.

1 person likes this

Part of it depends on the girl, while you may be 'pure' on your wedding day some people don't look good in pure white. I know it washes me out and makes me look sick. My dress will probably be an off-white or antique ivory because it looks better on my skin tone. That doesn't mean I'll be any less 'pure' on my wedding day.

4 people like this

Haha I told my mom I was going to get married in black. Sure shocked her... But if the tradition started because of purity, and few girls are pure today, what does it matter? They're wearing the exact opposite of how they've behaved... Why can't I? But in today's society I think it is more about just wanting to feel pretty, and tradition... But I think few people know the reason behind the tradition. I'm unsure of if I'll wear pure white... I kinda like the black dress idea. Hahah jk, jk. Maybe ;) Start a tradition of my own! I'll probably honestly wear white, or a cream/ivory/champagne tone. I want to feel beautiful in whatever I wear, provided I'm blessed with marriage.

Hmm, maybe I'll even have two dresses. Ceremony would be more classic, reception more fun, but still tasteful. Then I could have two colors, too. :)

3 people like this

Hm, I'm mixed on the issue. On the one hand, it's true that white represents purity, and part of me thinks you have no moral right to wear white (thus advertising yourself as 'pure') if you aren't. But at the same time, the use of white for this purpose is so firmly attached that there's no point in trying to change it. I mean, if some woman did wear non-white to the wedding, the only result would be people saying "Wait, she's not wearing white--something is wrong."

I agree with dodgedude, these days it has more to do with tradition than the meaning.

1 person likes this

I agree with dd, i think that meaning just faded, and just stuck as tradition.

i dont know if i want to wear a white dress. i feel like that would me look more like a cake topper than a real bride haha. i think im going for an champagne..but before i start talking about what i would wear let me find a boyfriend haha.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I agree that it's more about tradition now. I mean if they started saying that non-virgins can't wear them cuz they aren't "pure", then they would be losing lots of money.....

1 person likes this

I know that white was once associated with purity but now women wear white wedding gowns just because tradition. I'd say like 90% of women (in the western culture at least) wear white to their wedding because that is the norm. I bet most aren't even aware that white once symbolized purity. lol. I didn't until age 17. I just thought the gowns were white because it is a very gentle, soft colour.

I don't know if they would lose that much money if someone came out and said "My white dresses are only for virgins". At least in the south...if you've ever seen Say yes to the dress Atlanta there are a lot of Southern Brides who absolutely need to wear a white dress to symbolize purity. Maybe it depends on the environment you are in and if the white=purity thing stands. Also I would feel even if the the white dress meaning was re-established many women wouldn't care about it.

2 people like this

I don't know if they would lose that much money if someone came out and said "My white dresses are only for virgins". At least in the south...if you've ever seen Say yes to the dress Atlanta there are a lot of Southern Brides who absolutely need to wear a white dress to symbolize purity. Maybe it depends on the environment you are in and if the white=purity thing stands. Also I would feel even if the the white dress meaning was re-established many women wouldn't care about it.

lol, i agree, you cant prove they arent virgins at bridal stores.(unless they have kids)

i honestly think brides should whatever they want to wear.

I want to wear a white dress because I think it's traditional and bridal and pretty! I dont have a problem with non-virgins wearing white wedding dresses....we cant own a colour!!

I know a lot of older relations who were scandalised at a girl wearing a red dress on her wedding day because of what it meant (ie not a virgin) and they thought that red was a racy colour to wear at a wedding!!! :D

Yes, white wedding dresses started with Queen Victoria but she wore white because it was a symbol of power and nobility. The whole purity thing was picked up along the way. I think white on non-virgins is fine. It will always be a beautiful, stand-out colour on wedding dresses no matter what the meaning.

for the record, I'd like a white and pink wedding dress. It would look gorgeous:D

It doesn't really bother me if non-virgins wear white. It's just a tradition now more than anything. But I guess a lot of people still associate the colour with purity...Oh, this reminds me of this sitcom called "Outnumbered". There's this scene where the little girl Karen is a bridesmaid for her cousin, and is asking her lots of questions before the ceremony which generally get her mum into trouble...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi0k_Z5SIrg

(It's a cute little show...)

Anyway, I'm definitely wearing white.

xxx

2 people like this

I could be wrong, but I believe blue used to be very traditional for Christian/Catholic weddings because the color was so associated with the Virgin Mary, mother of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Later white became the adopted color.

I'll definitely be wearing white and the other colors will be incorporated through flowers. While I'm not too picky about the color of dress I will still do double take when a woman walks down the isle in a white dress with three kids by different fathers but that is just my super southern baptist background showing through. I have also thought about a white dress with different color lace trim. At the end of the day the majority will be white.

Mine will be white and lacy, and I might wear a colored sash :D! I agree that it has become more of a tradition and the true meaning has been lost by many. However, it always makes me happy to think that for me, it will mean exactly what it is supposed to :). It doesn't bother me that women who aren't wear white.

It doesn't really bother me if non-virgins wear white. It's just a tradition now more than anything. But I guess a lot of people still associate the colour with purity...Oh, this reminds me of this sitcom called "Outnumbered". There's this scene where the little girl Karen is a bridesmaid for her cousin, and is asking her lots of questions before the ceremony which generally get her mum into trouble...

xxx

That is the cutest little girl ever!

2 people like this

I think a woman can wear whatever colour she wants to on her wedding night. If she has slept with 100 men, she should still wear white if that is what she wants. If she is a super chaste virgin who is going to have her first kiss at "you may now kiss the bride," she should still wear dark purple if that is what she wants.

5 people like this

xxx

I thought of this too! I absolutely love this show, especially little Karen! :') xxx

I think, any woman, waiter or non waiter, should get to wear white if she wanted to, or any colour for that matter. It is her wedding day after all, so I don't think she should hold back. I have always loved everything to be traditional and of course, my wedding dress will be white (or a shade of white or maybe even a champaign shade as other ladies have already said here). I know most women (if not all) have dreamt of their wedding day since they were little girls and I think they should wear whatever they want. Now I'm thinking of the type of dress I want lol. :)

Part of it depends on the girl, while you may be 'pure' on your wedding day some people don't look good in pure white. I know it washes me out and makes me look sick. My dress will probably be an off-white or antique ivory because it looks better on my skin tone. That doesn't mean I'll be any less 'pure' on my wedding day.

In our country, it is traditionally white but the off white or antique ivory like the ones made of silk colored, is actually acceptable.

VG08.jpg

The silk is made up of Pineapple Fibers and the country's national dress is made out of it. :D

img_the-wedding.png

3 people like this