Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loyalhero90

Is it safe to think this way...

6 posts in this topic

So I have a problem with how to view people who commit acts that are (according to the bible) sins. I don't want to be judgemental but I also don't want to accept acts that are an obvious violation of what is biblically right.

For example, when I meet someone who is not waiting and views sex as being on the same level as food/oxygen I can't help the thoughts that run through my mind like "Gee that gross" or "I should probably not be friends with you". I think of this person as being shallow and confused but then again I can't help but wonder if I'm being judgemental. A lot of people at my college would view my ideas as being prudish and mean and that I should accept their decision to illustrate an open mind. I have a hard time "accepting" their ideas because then I would feel like a sell-out to my own beliefs. I would want the non-waiter to have a happy life and I would not wish anything bad on them but I do not agree with their beliefs.

Another example, (more for the religious peeps) is homosexuality. I have the hardest time with this because I don't want to support it nor do I accept that it is natural. I don't want people who choose that lifestyle to be persecuted, ostracized or be a target of prejudice but I don't want their actions to be seen as being good/normal/everyone should do it type of thing. I would be angry and bothered if a person was harmed because of their homosexuality but I do not support gay marriage. Again I would be seen as being close-minded on my campus but then again I would feel like a sell-out to my religion if I "accepted" homosexuality as being good. Another thing is that though in today's time anyone of every different religion/beliefs can be married I feel like marriage (church, priest, legal notification type of thing) began as a religious concept. To call a union between two homosexual people ( a sin for many religions) marriage would feel like a slap in the face because the act itself is seen as a sin. A sin in something that is supposed to be holy is not something I can internally accept.

But do these ideas actually sound like I'm being judgemental? Are they contradictory?

1 person likes this

The way I see it, regarding being judgmental, is that people feel if they notice an action and consider it as a sin, they don't want to mention it i.e. not judge, because they feel they're banning that person to Hell and in turn making themselves feel uncomfortably self-righteous.

The way I see it is I believe in sins and if someone's doing a sin, I acknowledge that it's a sin, but I don't feel that I'm better than that person. I commit sins too, we all do. And in our religions, we need to help each other. If someone's doing a sin, rather than call out the person, feel bad to them, I think it's our job to help them change their ways. We never accept the sin, but we don't berate the sinner. Hope I made myself clear.

5 people like this

@loyalhero90<3 Having love and tolerance towards one another is the key to understanding diversity.It's great to be around people who think the same way as you think but is living our life completely to that standard going to further are development? I don't think it will. Observing and listening to people we meet in our own personal environment, who are complete opposite of us, can only aid in fine tuning who we are. The best way to grow as an individual is utilizing people who share different principles. This is why people aren't afraid of voicing their own opinions. Our minds benefit from expansion and absorbing new thoughts. Just because we are accepting of this expansion of thought doesn't mean we are losing our own set of values. It means we are learning that other people think differently and have every right to their own set of beliefs just as we do<3

Loyalhero - As far as I know, a marriage ceremony is not even described in the Bible. I know this may sound way out in left field, but I've always felt a marriage started with a sexual relationship -- because the Bible says it is better to marry than to burn. And a flame can be quinched with one drop of water. Pretty simple in my mind. But I can't say that in too many public places because people would be yelling "judgemental!" or "intolerant!" as you mentioned. As a matter of fact, the word "single" is not even used in the Bible to describe a person who is not married. It's a contemporary politically correct term. Like you,I try not to judge the person -- but their actions. I do think that's different. I don't condone sexually deviant lifestyles either, including homosexuality -- but I will sit down and talk to them. Anybody. I think one of the problems we have in society now is that Christian people are not discerning what is right and what is wrong - according to the Bible. So many people are under the false assumption that "if it feels good, do it." For a lot of people, that is there religion. The very idea that I would deprive myself of sex for 51 years is unheard of for a lot of people. If I walked up to somebody on the street and told them I was living an alternative lifestyle, I wonder what would first come to their head? Yep - He must be gay. Waiting until marriage for sex would not enter their mind. I'm glad to know that a few folks are on the same path.

Okay I feel better. I was confused on whether I was judging the person or their actions and from these comments I was judging their actions. Of course the actions makes me think about the personality/moral belief system of the person but I sometimes see it as a defense mechanism to make sure I don't get in the wrong crowd.

I agree that many christians really do not discern between what is right or wrong as according to the bible; they let the world say what is right and wrong. While I don't want the church to condemn the people who do the actions such as pre-marital sex I wish (at least my church) was more active is getting the youth to practice abstienence and actually stating how premarital sex is a sin; even if they step on a few people's toes there needs to be a reaffirmation that it is a sin- at least for the christian religion.

Thanks everyone!