WanderingWashingtonian

What are your favorite religious verses?

22 posts in this topic

What are your favorite verses?

As a Christian, I am curious to see, for those who do read the Bible, which passages are most special to you. I am still pretty new to Bible study, and have a lot of reading to do, but I have been keeping a list of the best verses I discover, and I hope to memorize them.

I know that we have people of all religions here, and of no religions, so feel free to include passages from the Torah or the Quran or other books of religious teaching here, or to create threads specifically for those. Everyone is welcome to post if they wish!

Edited by WanderingWashingtonian

In no order, I'd have to say Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, Jeremiah 29:11, Proverbs 22:6, Isaiah 40:28-30, Isaiah 54:10, 1 Corinithians 2:9, Romans 8:28 and all of Ephesians 5 and Proverbs 31 :) However, the more I read the Bible, the more applicable I find Scripture (even in the modern day) and I just fall in love with His Word even more!

1 person likes this

I have several pages collected so far, but a few that stand out as special favorites for me right now are:

ISA 41:13 For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

1 CHRON 28:20 ... "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you...â€

1 COR 13:4-8a Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. ...

PSA 27:14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

ROM 12:9-18 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

1 person likes this

In no order, I'd have to say Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, Jeremiah 29:11, Proverbs 22:6, Isaiah 40:28-30, Isaiah 54:10, 1 Corinithians 2:9, Romans 8:28 and all of Ephesians 5 and Proverbs 31 :) However, the more I read the Bible, the more applicable I find Scripture (even in the modern day) and I just fall in love with His Word even more!

Those are great verses, RJ! I just looked them all up!

Since you encouraged the sharing from different religious texts, I modified the title to reflect that if you don't mind :)

Here's a few in no particular order:

-Ephesians 2:8-9 This gives me hope because even though I can't save myself, God can.

-Matthew 5:43-44 Everyone knows this verse but it addresses something I struggle a lot with, and it's easy to forget

-Matthew 22:37-39 The entire Bible can be summed up in these couple verses :)

-Luke 22:36 Kind of a strange one to favorite, but those who know me will understand why ;)

Hmm...

Well, I have a few favourites that I can think of straight away. I've always loved the famous Ephesians 5:22 and 25: "Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord" and "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her". When I get married, I'd quite like to get those engraved on me and my husband's wedding rings, just "EPHESIANS 5:22" and "EPHESIANS 5:25" on the inside.

Also, this isn't really a verse, exactly, but I love John 6:25-70, which is the section where Jesus tells the people that He is the Bread of Life, and whatnot. I love that section (mostly because I'm Catholic, and that's the section which proves transubstantiation, as it were :P ). But seriously, within that section, I love 67-69, which is just after loads of people leave Jesus because what He's taught them is "a hard teaching" which is too difficult for them to accept:

67 “You do not want to leave too, do you?” Jesus asked the Twelve.

68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 We have come to believe and to know that you are the Holy One of God.”

Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought that those verses are really powerful. As a Christian, especially as a Catholic, there's a lot of things that I believe that put me at odds with what most people believe. Waiting till marriage is one thing, obviously: pretty much everywhere you go, you get the message that everyone's having sex, and it's impossible to wait. If I ever feel overwhelmed or scared or upset, and I feel like it's just too difficult to stay faithful to what God wants me to do, I think of those verses. I imagine that I'm part of the crowd, and Jesus has just spoken about [WTM, or whatever it is], and everyone in the crowd is saying amongst themselves, "There's no way I'm doing that, that's just too difficult", and they all leave, and I'm left standing there by myself. Then Jesus comes up to me, and He says, "What about you? Are you going to leave Me, too?" And then I say, "Where would I go to? It's only through You that I can be saved." And that helps me to be strong and stick with Jesus, no matter what.

Anyway, that's just my little imaginings. Hope you didn't find that too weird!

xxx

5 people like this

John 10:10 "...I am come that they may have life, and may have it more abundantly"♥

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting"♥

4 people like this

Psalm 8:3-9 (NIV):

When I consider your heavens,

the work of your fingers,

the moon and the stars,

which you have set in place,

4 what is mankind that you are mindful of them,

human beings that you care for them?[c]

5 You have made them[d] a little lower than the angels[e]

and crowned them[f] with glory and honor.

6 You made them rulers over the works of your hands;

you put everything under their[g] feet:

7 all flocks and herds,

and the animals of the wild,

8 the birds in the sky,

and the fish in the sea,

all that swim the paths of the seas.

9 Lord, our Lord,

how majestic is your name in all the earth!

1 person likes this

Psalm 23 - "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me, all the days of my life."

Genesis 2 - "And for this reason a man will leave his mother and father and be united with his wife and the two will become one."

John 8:12 - "I am the light of the world, all who follow me shall not wander in darkness, but have the light of life."

There's a few more, but I would have to look them up haha.

2 people like this

Two that God has used to bring me peace/reassurance:

"And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear." Isaiah 65:24

and

"For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Jeremiah 29:11

1 person likes this

James 1:17-27 is a favorite of mine...kind of a go-to for me whenever I'm unsure of who I want to be LOL

I like what Paul says in Philippians, but I can't think of a specific verse on it off the top of my head. I'll get back to you :D

1 person likes this

Ecclesiastes 9:11 - I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

It's theraputic to fully accept that life is never going to be as fair as we think it should be. To believe otherwise invites constant disappointment, which is a terribly unhealthy way to live one's life. The above verse makes it clear that life is unfair, and does so in beautifully stoic terms.

Psalms 119:141 - I am small and despised: yet do not I forget thy precepts.

Succint, to be sure, but this verse has supplied me with enormous comfort throughout my life. In my youth, especially, it benefitted me tremendously to know that even the Psalmist struggles with low self-worth at times. We tend to look at Biblical figures as these foreign, flawless figureheads of all that is good and noble--and here the Psalmist is letting you know that he suffers from the same feelings of inadequacy and persecution that we all do frpm time to time. But God has his back. The more I consider this simple little Psalm, the more I enjoy it.

Romans 5:3-5 - And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Pardon me for dorking out for a moment, but there is this one cheesy line in one of the newer Star Wars movies where Yoda says something about fear leading to anger, and anger leading to hate, and hate leading to suffering. Or, sumpin' like that. There is something deeply ironic about being lectured to by a Muppet about the nature of suffering while watching Star Wars Episode I. But I digress; in a totally inappropriate, geeky kind of way, no less. Anywho, I think writer/director George Lucas was trying to channel the vibe of these verses, only turned to make a similar point about negative emotions leading to dark places. What he lacked in his writing was the earnestness and lyrical flow displayed by Paul in his Epistle to the Romans. Much as in the above verses, it's a verse about how to deal with pain in one's life, only Paul declares that it's entirely appropriate to rejoice in sufferings, because they ultimately build character.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I have a meatloaf sammich in the microwave and my mind is being drawn away. I might check in to this topic again later!

1 person likes this

Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are." ;)

4 people like this

All are quoted from the NASB (New American Standard Bible)

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

John 14:6  Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

Isaiah 40:31 Yet those who wait for the Lord Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.

1 Timothy 4:12  Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe.

Matthew 5:8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

A couple of my favorite are...

Job 37:5 God thunders wondrously with his voice; he does great things that we cannot comprehend.

I have that one painted on a door outside.  

and

Isaiah 40: 12  Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?

I have that one written on the mirror in my bedroom.  I figure if God can hold all the water in His hand, He can certainly handle any of my problems.  I just have to keep reminding myself of that!

2 people like this

I really like Proverbs 31:8  Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.  :)

Matthew 11:28-30 and Matthew 6:26-27

I find those two verses help whenever I am worried and anxious

I love Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  (NIV)

It helps me to remember that I have a purpose in this world even when it seems like I'm just another number, and it also reminds me that God loves me and wants me to succeed. :)

1 person likes this

My Favorite verse is 16:33

"I have told you these things so that in me you have peace. In this world you will have trouble but take heart I have overcome the world."