WanderingWashingtonian

What are your deal-breakers?

141 posts in this topic

I don't have that many deal-breakers, I don't think...here it goes hahaha....

• unemployed w/ no solid prospects and ambitions in life. I have to be with someone who can support themselves comfortably.
  • no drugs. if he's a grown man with a career, he should not be smoking weed or partaking in things like that. if he did it in college, whatever, I don't mind, but if the drug use continued after that, I don't think that's a good sign...
  • if he were constantly getting drunk, that would be a deal-breaker. I like drinking socially myself, but not into oblivion.
  • he has to be open to the idea of children. I want children.
  • not a gamer. I just associate those sorts of things with immaturity and teenagers.

not a gamer. I just associate those sorts of things with immaturity and teenagers.

Whoa, I must respectfully disagree with you there! Nothing wrong with gaming. It's a form of artistic expression, like film and books. Also like anything else, moderation is fine but too much will cause problems. As long as it's strictly a form of leisure and prioritizes their time wisely then gaming is fine.

7 people like this

Whoa, I must respectfully disagree with you there! Nothing wrong with gaming. It's a form of artistic expression, like film and books. Also like anything else, moderation is fine but too much will cause problems. As long as it's strictly a form of leisure and prioritizes their time wisely then gaming is fine.

my personal preference. I'm friends with loads of college boys, and let me tell you, "moderation" when it comes to video/computer games is highly unlikely :P it's pretty polarizing--you're either heavily invested in it or you're not, it seems. a couple of them play for like six hours straight sometimes...

I guess if I met a guy who sometimes played video games, I wouldn't mind, but I don't want to come home to him playing Call of Duty every night. he's not 17 anymore.

Deal breakers:

Non-Christian/Lukewarm Christian

Can't run for at least 3 minutes (Safety net for the Zombie apocalypse.)

Vegetarian/Vegan

Snooty petooty egomaniac.

Refusal to agree to disagree.

Non waiter.

Smells bad

Poor table manners (or inability to learn some.)

No life away from the computer.

Stoner/drug addict/alcoholic

No ambition

Doesn't want kids

Belieber

Preferences:

Jesus Freak

Appreciation for food, music, and outdoors.

Brilliant Hygienic skizzles.

Whovian.

2 people like this

Must believe in evolution? Really, that's a deal-breaker?

Yep, not necessarily exactly as the origin of species lays it out, but you read it right. I couldn't marry someone who took the creation account in genesis literally, I do believe God created the universe, but I don't see that being at odds with evolution at all.

Preferences:

Whovian.

Haha, me too!

I'm not too picky, obviously he must be willing to wait for me. He doesn't have to be waiting and could of had sex in previous relationships, but he has to be willing to wait. I would not continue on in a relationship if he was not willing to. Other than that

-no current drug use(past experimentation is fine, and I don't consider caffeine a drug, even if it is technically one)

-no heavy drinking(I don't care if they come home and have a beer a night, or occasionally let's loose and has a few drinks)

-They have their point of views, but they don't push them on anyone and everyone(I can't stand people who believe everyone should see the world their way)

-Okay with a wife in the military

Preferences/negotiable

-They have some faith(I don't mind if it differs from mine)

-Want a small family(I'm not sure if I even want children, and if I do have kids I only want one)

-They don't believe in the traditional roles of men and women(I don't believe women have to be the homemaker and men the breadwinner, rather I believe both should take equal responsibility in both)

-They aren't against the military/are in the military

1 person likes this

Yep, not necessarily exactly as the origin of species lays it out, but you read it right. I couldn't marry someone who took the creation account in genesis literally, I do believe God created the universe, but I don't see that being at odds with evolution at all.

I've spent considerable time debating the issue, and am convinced the science points to a literal creator and a literal creation account. (Else you wouldn't get the stretchy dinosaur collagen fibers they found in the bone alleged to be millions of years old.) But as firmly as I hold this stance, I can't see it being a dealbreaker, especially if she were willing to listen, since most people just accept what they're taught.

3 people like this

I've spent considerable time debating the issue, and am convinced the science points to a literal creator and a literal creation account. (Else you wouldn't get the stretchy dinosaur collagen fibers they found in the bone alleged to be millions of years old.) But as firmly as I hold this stance, I can't see it being a dealbreaker, especially if she were willing to listen, since most people just accept what they're taught.

Fair enough, to each their own. It'd definitely be a deal breaker for me though.

Dealbreakers/Things I do NOT want:

Smoker

Excessive drinking

Illegal drug use

Mean or egotistical

Not a virgin

Non-christian

Liberal

Strong Preferences:

Humble, kind, understanding, and loyal

College/University

WTM

Taller than me (> 5'4")

In shape/not overweight

Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw foodist

Respects animals

Sense of humor

Chews and breathes quietly (I have Misophonia)

Interest in science

Pro-life

Supports our right to 2nd amendment

3 people like this

Must believe in evolution? Really, that's a deal-breaker?

Yeah, I was stunned by that too. I don't really care about the issue (in the sense that I'm open to dating women on either side of the issue), but saying that they can't be a good wife/husband because they deny (or affirm) the idea of evolution is over the top, IMO.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I was stunned by that too. I don't really care about the issue (in the sense that I'm open to dating women on either side of the issue), but saying that they can't be a good wife/husband because they deny (or affirm) the idea of evolution is over the top, IMO.

I didn't ever suggest that someone couldn't be a good wife or husband because of this

I didn't ever suggest that someone couldn't be a good wife or husband because of this

Well, fair enough. I suppose I went a little too far--you only said you wouldn't marry one. But I don't get (or agree with) that point of view.

Well, fair enough. I suppose I went a little too far--you only said you wouldn't marry one. But I don't get (or agree with) that point of view.

That's fair enough too! :)

Dealbreakers/Things I do NOT want:

Smoker

Excessive drinking

Illegal drug use

Mean or egotistical

Not a virgin

Non-christian

Liberal

Strong Preferences:

Humble, kind, understanding, and loyal

College/University

WTM

Taller than me (> 5'4")

In shape/not overweight

Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw foodist

Respects animals

Sense of humor

Chews and breathes quietly (I have Misophonia)

Interest in science

Pro-life

Supports our right to 2nd amendment

Pure, non-virgin is a dealbreaker for you but WTM is a preference? How does that work? I also think your preference for a vegetarian/vegan is horribly misguided and you need to go to a steak house, eat a delicious New York Steak and repent of your sin :D But I do like how your put "supports our right to the 2nd amendment" on your preferences :)

1 person likes this

Pure, non-virgin is a dealbreaker for you but WTM is a preference? How does that work? I also think your preference for a vegetarian/vegan is horribly misguided and you need to go to a steak house, eat a delicious New York Steak and repent of your sin :D But I do like how your put "supports our right to the 2nd amendment" on your preferences :)

Haha Yeah it is a bit unclear... I guess I am not sure if WTM is an absolute must; or just a strong preference.

and Hahaha that steakhouse situation sounds pretty funny...I just imagine myself rushing to confession after eating a massive steak. I have tried steak before but after my views changed from research; watching Earthlings and Forks over Knives, reading The China Study, I can't imagine eating steak, sorry >.< lol

Yep! I agree, I quite appreciate the 2nd amendment! :D

2 people like this

Yep! I agree, I quite appreciate the 2nd amendment! :D

It's the best thing since the invention of the gun :P

3 people like this

One thing I can not and will not forgive is cheating even if it was far in the past because I believe that once a cheater always a cheater no matter what they say.

He must wish to be an equal in every way with me- finances, roles, responsibilities, ect. Before my current boyfriend came along, I was a Mother figure more than I was anything else to the guys I was with. They would let me do everything, clean up after them, pay for everything, spoil them with xboxes. NOT ANYMORE.

He can't be into partying because that would imply we were complete opposites.

He can't be anything like my own dad in his marriage to my Mom- condescending, arrogant, makes huge decisions without her all the time, sneaky with their financial status...

3 people like this

One thing I can not and will not forgive is cheating even if it was far in the past because I believe that once a cheater always a cheater no matter what they say.

He must wish to be an equal in every way with me- finances, roles, responsibilities, ect. Before my current boyfriend came along, I was a Mother figure more than I was anything else to the guys I was with. They would let me do everything, clean up after them, pay for everything, spoil them with xboxes. NOT ANYMORE.

He can't be into partying because that would imply we were complete opposites.

He can't be anything like my own dad in his marriage to my Mom- condescending, arrogant, makes huge decisions without her all the time, sneaky with their financial status...

Chris, r u listening lol ;) ?

1 person likes this

I agree, I would always wonder if he'd cheat on me

1 person likes this

Chris, r u listening lol ;) ?

Christoph hits everything on the head when it comes to being the man of my dreams <3 I probably should have put that someplace in the post! xD

5 people like this

I agree, I would always wonder if he'd cheat on me

Oh girl, 90% of first time cheaters become serial cheaters.Very few truly do learn from their mistake.

Oh girl, 90% of first time cheaters become serial cheaters.Very few truly do learn from their mistake.

My friends boyfriend has cheated on every one of his previous girlfriends, and she won't listen to reason!

My friends boyfriend has cheated on every one of his previous girlfriends, and she won't listen to reason!

That's... heart breaking because she's next in line. :/

What!! the low life scumbag. Surely she will be next.. she must read between the lines. One thing I can't stand is.. CHEATING. Wonder what kick people get in life to cheat. Its like you said.. once a cheater, always a cheater.

5 people like this