Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Englishguy1988

does anyone else teach themselves things?

22 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone else teaches themselves things because it seems with most people that learning ends when school/college does (other than in your chosen profession) so I was just wondering if anyone else teaches themselves things outside of their profession/courses?

I think for me it started when I was 16-17 I had lots of free periods so I managed to persuade my school to let me do extra lessons for my courses Mon-thurs so I could have Friday off so I could do the A+computer techntion course at a local college and when that course stopped due to not enough people to keep it running I bought the course books and taught myself the remainder of the course... And from there I just sort of branched out learning lots of different (and usually unrelated) things and also learning lots of random facts along the way :D ... For example stetoscopes used by doctors were originally created to preserve female patients modesty!

2 people like this

Well at the moment I'm studying for professional exams and wont really have the time for extracurricular courses until another year or so. But I definitely intend to take up maybe some language courses when my exams are finished. I loved French in school and would love to take that up again but I'm also considering learning Mandarin when all my exams are over as I think that would be a very interesting language to learn.

I'd also love to take dance lessons. Although maybe that's not quite the same as learning something academically.

I also have a huge interest in ancient civilisations so I intend on travelling and reading up all about them as well.

When I was 16, I wanted to take an extra subject on but my career guidance counsellor strongly advised against it. I then decided to do it outside of school so I went to grinds once a week in it and pre-read the subject all summer before my exams. I got an A in it in the final exam so felt very chuffed going back to the career guidance counsellor to tell her that!! :D

Cool what are you studying for if you don't mind me asking? I lived in a little village in france for almost a month and nobody spoke english so I had to speak in French... But French was still my worst grade lol but I was taking double science, English lit, English language, history, IT, RE (religious education) as well as doing a FIFA sponsed training course to teach football (soccer) to under 12 so had to plan and teach football (soccer) Lessons too so I was quite busy

Yeah I was advised not to do the college course but as I was 9 weeks ahead of the rest of my IT class they let me

Mandarin is that Chinese or a compleately different language?

Well I've got 2 left feet so I'd need surgery before I could even take dance lessons lol

Yeah, I'm trying to teach myself touch-typing, and how to play the guitar, although I've been pretty busy recently with university and whatnot. I also did French in high school, so I'm trying to keep on learning it now I'm finished. I'd love to be fluent in another language!

xxx

I used to be able to touch type but I doubt I'd be able to do it any more as the keypad on my iPod takes up over half the screen lol... When did you start uni? And what did you decide on in the end?

I'm fluent in a universal foreign language... I point then grunt :D jk

When did you start uni? And what did you decide on in the end?

Well, I've not actually started yet: I just meant, I've been busy with getting ready for university, and whatnot...I think it'll be English literature, psychology and politics...

I'm fluent in a universal foreign language... I point then grunt :D jk

lol!

xxx

tut tut I expected you to be weeks ahead by now :P

So lots of reading then! psychology is cool I wanted to do that in 6th form but as I was doing GNVQ IT I couldn't do it as the lessons clashed but I got a distinction in GNVQ which is the equivilent to 4 A*s in IT!

Ah your old favorite I thought you'd probably decide to do that so I'm glad you decided to do something your so intrested in :)

Well, I started teaching myself to play the guitar by using online teachers, and books. I really like learning about different religious traditions (especially those found in East Asia). Hopefully, I will get to travel there one day. At the moment, I'm learning to whittle :).

I have a lot of hobbies that I take up and set down as the mood strikes me. Thus, for the last few years, I have slowly but steadily been teaching myself piano playing, watercolor painting, crocheting, photomanipulating, candle-making, jewelry-making, and on one occasion, wood-burning. Plus, I get curious about things pretty often, and spend a lot of time reading encyclopedia articles. My goal is to never stop learning!

2 people like this

@slayer I used to play the drums!... Cool what religions? Buddhism? Taoist? Those sort of ones?... Wow how are you learning that, from books, internet or do you have someone to teach you?

@WW piano... Well aren't we all a musical bunch :D... I haven't done art for years I think the last time I did art was in my art exam 7 years ago!... You sound like quite a creative artistic person! What kind of candles do you make? Scented? Beeswax?

I love learning at the moment I'm intrested in medicine, medical history and pharmacuticles so reading lots of medical text books, chemistry books and history books... Yep I'm weird lol

@slayer I used to play the drums!... Cool what religions? Buddhism? Taoist? Those sort of ones?... Wow how are you learning that, from books, internet or do you have someone to teach you?

It's pretty neat that you can play drums. Yes, I'm referring to those religions. I took classes in college centered around reading and studying texts found in those religious traditions.

Yes! It's called being an autodidact. :) I taught myself enough HTML to know how to design layouts for MySpace back in its glory days haha. I seriously had classmates offer to pay me for me to design layouts for them. Good ol days. Then I have taught myself some cooking, and how to calm a colicky baby haha. Seriously, it's weird... But if you hold the baby face down on your forearm and walk around, they seem to calm down for some odd reason. Here and there I've dabbled with painting and my mom said I taught myself how to read at the age of 3. Of course, it was the same "Bernstein Bears" book over, and over.. But you gotta start somewhere, right? Haha repetition pays off, I guess. I haven't quit reading or stopped wanting to learn since. :)

I love learning new things and teaching myself stuff. I've taught myself how to play the piano over the past few years. I could read music ok from when I was in band in middle school but I bought a little "teach yourself piano" book and started downloading sheet music and hunting and pecking the keys haha until I could memorize songs...then it's really nice because you don't even need sheet you can just sit down at any piano and play ;)

When I was 16 I really wanted to know how to work on cars/trucks and learn about auto mechanics. I had a family friend give me a crash course on changing my oil lol and since then I've read literally hundreds and hundreds of articles online and on automotive forums (this isn't the only forum I'm a member of :P lol) and watched hours of videos and read manuals etc....and now I'm pretty decent with a wrench. I'm not a certified mechanic or anything but I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to take my vehicle to a shop in the last few years. I can do most work myself. I would just read up on what it was I wanted to do...brake job, paint or body work, tune ups, etc. I always just thought worst case I can take it to a shop and have them fix it if I screw up haha.

Theres other stuff....like water-skiing and working on my boat. I knew nothing about that stuff it when I bought it haha just thought it would be fun to have a boat...youtube was my friend. That's the thing about learning stuff and teaching yourself...there is so much information out there now; online forums, articles, youtube videos, how-tos, write-ups, etc etc. Don't be afraid to just dive in to whatever it is you want to learn!! There are resources literally at your fingertips in this day and age for ANYTHING you might want to learn. :)

2 people like this

@slayer I only know a bit about Buddhism because my aunt is a Buddhist so I've been to her Buddhist temple on open days when I was younger so I'm sure you know much more than me :D

@RJ I learnt HTML too! I used it to help with my IT course as part of it was web design but we also used web design software as well... Now you'd probably need to know at least a bit of javascript too which I've dabbled in for the local history society when they were having problems with their website although there are tutorials online if thats something your intrested in?... I learnt how to cook from my parents - dad trained as a chef and worked in a restaurant in London before I was born (I'm from England BTW hence my name lol) and mum hads quite a few recipes from my great-nan (who was a fantastic cook I always wanted seconds and I used to be a really really fussy eater!) and I cooked my first roast with all the trimmings whilst babysitting both my younger brothers when I was 17 and now I've got 3 younger brothers... Never even heard of bernstien bears I'm guessing its and American book?

@DD thats must be cool being able to just sit down and play a song, drums just make slot of noise lol... Cars are the one thing I don't know much about now give me a steam engine and I can fix one of those! (voluteered at a steam museum restoring them to full working order and I've even driven one! Only on the museums property though as I don't have a HGV 2 license so couldn't legally drive it on the road) but I think cars are much more advanced so a bit harder to learn :D... So what was it you just woke up one day and though hmmm boats look fun :P yeah I agree there's slot on the net nowdays but just the size of some medical texts I've been reading there probably take me months I've got an anatomy one thats 1600 pages long! And the pharmocology ones well let's just say that the medical dictionary is (in your words) my friend but if I was't intrested in it I wouldn't even be attempting to learn them but luckly I find them really intresting and the fact I taught myself A level chemistry last year is really starting to pay off!

2 people like this

@RJ I learnt HTML too! I used it to help with my IT course as part of it was web design but we also used web design software as well... Now you'd probably need to know at least a bit of javascript too which I've dabbled in for the local history society when they were having problems with their website although there are tutorials online if thats something your intrested in?... I learnt how to cook from my parents - dad trained as a chef and worked in a restaurant in London before I was born (I'm from England BTW hence my name lol) and mum hads quite a few recipes from my great-nan (who was a fantastic cook I always wanted seconds and I used to be a really really fussy eater!) and I cooked my first roast with all the trimmings whilst babysitting both my younger brothers when I was 17 and now I've got 3 younger brothers... Never even heard of bernstien bears I'm guessing its and American book?

Right? I had started to get into C++ just a little bit, but all of the coding gave me a headache haha. I taught myself enough on Adobe Photoshop to work as a graphic designer for a photographer. That was pretty cool. But it is very time consuming and I'm a perfectionist, so it's like... Extra annoying sometimes trying to get it juuust right. That's very cool about your dad and grandma's always have the best food. What? You're from England?! Why didn't you say so? :P Oops, it's actually Berenstain Bears and yes, perhaps it is just an American book! Haha I don't actually know. I'm just a tiny bit nerd, mostly feisty, and always try to be loving. Oh, and 100% Texan, no apologies included. B)

Lol I started on C# then I moved out of my parents and forgot to take the book so I still haven't learnt it... That's what I like about HTML its nice and simple so no headaches! Wow that's cool I used to love photography I brought my SLR camera when I was 18 so I always had that and tons of spare batteries in my backpack when I went hiking... Well I thought you might have been able to read my name, obviously I was wrong :P... Easiest way to tell is does it use English or American spelling ie mom - mum color - colour I've never heard of it though

I taught myself the musical instruments I currently play (piano and double ocarina). Currently teaching myself the viola which is hard, I hate trying to tune the darn thing and I dont know how to use a tuner.

I also have an interesting talent for learning foriegn languages quickly and taught myself using a program. Taught myself Japanese, Frensh, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish. Granted, I'm not fluent in any of these languages (I'm borderline fluent in English, lol) and I can't read nor write in the languages (only speak) but I know enough to survie as a tourist without a translator hovering over my shoulder. Sadly, the saying 'use it or lose it' applies to language and I've forgotten darn near everything other than a few phrases for directions and help in emergancies. Looks like I'm gonna need a translator hovering over my shoulder if I go traveling, haha

I've taught myself how to play some piano and alto saxophone. I started Italian in college after I already knew Spanish pretty well, so once I graduate from grad school I want to teach myself Italian and French!

Ive taught myself how to sew and design clothes Iv taught myself Italian but now because I havent used it all i can remember is ciao piacere,and arrividerci one day I will learn it again though

I have taught myself so many things; history, economics, politics, science, programming, and cooking. I think that people have to teach themselves things today because schools have outdated material and inefficient learning methods and the media will only tell you half-truths. When I teach myself something, it is more rewarding than learning in class, and they seem to sick with me more. 

I was just wondering if anyone else teaches themselves things because it seems with most people that learning ends when school/college does (other than in your chosen profession) so I was just wondering if anyone else teaches themselves things outside of their profession/courses?

I think for me it started when I was 16-17 I had lots of free periods so I managed to persuade my school to let me do extra lessons for my courses Mon-thurs so I could have Friday off so I could do the A+computer techntion course at a local college and when that course stopped due to not enough people to keep it running I bought the course books and taught myself the remainder of the course... And from there I just sort of branched out learning lots of different (and usually unrelated) things and also learning lots of random facts along the way :D ... For example stetoscopes used by doctors were originally created to preserve female patients modesty!

I do, I teach myself French, Russian, British Sign Language, my mother's language how to play the saxophone and keyboard and...lots of things really! It's one of my favourite things to do, teach myself new things!

1 person likes this

The technical part to photography. I have the eye (so I've been told) with natural talent, but I want to know the technical aspects and how cameras work.

Also, over the years, I've been trying sketching on and off. Recently m I've been lo Into videos and book, and trying different drawing tools.