Invincible

Groom tossing the garter. Yay or nay?

37 posts in this topic

I never really though about it that way...I do like the idea that AussieStig said about taking it off earlier. That way it can still be thrown at the reception. It's not like it's ALL the way up on the tip top of my thigh. At one of my sorority sister's weddings a couple months ago, the garter was just AT the reception for when it was time to toss it. She didn't have it on for him to have to take off.

That's a good idea....it could just be a garter not the one the bride has worn.....I dont know if this practice is very common where I'm from. I dont think it happens at most weddings just at some....it's not a big tradition here it's more down to the personal choice of the bride and groom. In fact I think people have just started to do it lately from seeing it being done in America and elsewhere.

I would personally be way too embarrassed to have this done at my wedding in front of my Dad and grandparents.

I thought at most weddings, the bride throws a specially designated bouquet of flowers for the bouquet toss, not her real bouquet. Why couldn't the garter toss be done in the same way? The real one kept, and another one used to toss to the single men. Just an alternative for those who are ok with this tradition. But I still am against the idea of my groom plundering under my wedding gown in front of my family and friends. Ewwwww. Way too personal. I am a traditional girl, but that's one tradition that I will be happy to skip.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I'm a little biased on this one, because guess which groomsman caught the garter at the last TWO weddings I went to? Yours truly! I'm kind of a pro at garter-catching. Probably because I'm so idealistic that part of me believes the superstition and I WANT to catch the garter. :lol:

I agree that the tradition is a little gross, awkward, and too sexual to be performed in front of that big of a mixed crowd (flower girls included), but I only feel that way when I think about it for more than two seconds, which I don't do, because that would totally spoil the fun.

4 people like this

no, in the bedroom on the wedding night ok, but not in-front of everybody, does not feel right to me, that's private

2 people like this

I definitely don't think people should feel pressured to do this if they don't want to. It's your day! You should be able to do (or not do) what you want!

That being said... am I the only girl on here who not only wants her new husband to toss her garter at the reception, but wants him to take it off with his teeth? :P I just love the mental image of my husband disappearing completely under the skirt of my dress and reappearing with the garter between his teeth. Hilarious! :lol: I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be seriously disappointed if my fiance wanted to cut this out of the reception festivities. But I guess that's just me! B)

Oh, and did I mention that I want the band/DJ to play David Rose's "The Stripper" while he does it? (Search for it on iTunes. You'll recognize the melody, even if you don't recognize the song title and artist ;) )

5 people like this

Am I the only girl on here who not only wants her new husband to toss her garter at the reception, but wants him to take it off with his teeth? :P I just love the mental image of my husband disappearing completely under the skirt of my dress and reappearing with the garter between his teeth. Hilarious! :lol: I would personally be seriously disappointed if my fiance wanted to cut this out of the reception festivities. But I guess that's just me...

Hey, that's you! Like I say, be yourself, cuz an original is better than a copy.

2 people like this

I think this custom is just plain wrong, creepy, and sleazy. There is no way I would expose my bride like that and then toss part of her undergarments to a bunch of guys. I think the custom would be humiliating for a girl who was of like mind.

I was at a friend's wedding a while back when I first encountered this. After the wedding ceremony, I heard they were planning to do this shortly so I quietly excused myself. I would have felt very uncomfortable and awkward being present for that. Especially since statistics would not have been on my side as there were few single guys there. I was more reserved then, and someone's wedding reception did not seem like the time or place to present my views on the subject. Though, if I was caught in the same situation today, I think I would just bluntly state something like I have no desire to handle his bride's unmentionables!

It seems that if something has to be tossed, the bride should just take the groom's tie or bow tie and throw that out to the single guys. I think that would make more sense anyways. The bride's flowers go to the girls and the groom's bow tie goes to the guys.

Nope, not happening, too creepy and sexual. Where the idea came from makes it even creepier.

If I even wear a garter, there's not going to be any taking it off and trowing it to the guys. Cause hey, maybe I actually want to keep it for myself and not give it away to some guy. And absolutely no taking it off with teeth, I swear I'll snap my husband's neck in front of all our wedding guests if he even tries it. 

I agree with the above post about the groom tossing his tie instead. The ladies get my flowers, but the guys get my underwear? Yeah no, give the guys something that isn't my underwear.

I don't know why everyone is making such a big deal out of this! I know I want to do the garter toss, AND I want my husband to get it off with his teeth :D

First off it's not like they're panties. They don't even touch the woman's private area. And considering many women like to have this tradition photographed and would prefer to not flash either the photographer or any of the guests, most women do not wear their garters that high. Usually just above the knee so that no one sees anything they shouldn't and also so the groom can reach it easily. It's a fun tradition and I'm saddened that so many are calling it nasty when it isn't at all. Unless you consider lower thighs nasty.

4 people like this

You're right my friend!!! My sent, odor, perspiration, private area,... I can't afford to do that on my wedding day NO WAY

I don't see it as that big a deal honestly. I never thought "Oh that's disgusting " so I guess I never really minded if we garter toss or not :)

1 person likes this