Invincible

Groom tossing the garter. Yay or nay?

37 posts in this topic

For those who are unfamiliar with this practice. It is the like the tradition of a bride tossing a flower bouquet for all the single ladies attending and the one who catches it is considered to be the next one to be wedded. The groom has a similar tradition where he reaches under the bride's dress and pulls out a white strap called a garter that is wrapped around her upper thigh and tosses it into a crowd of single guys and the catcher is also considered to be the next to marry.

But tossing the garter doesn't sit well with me. I do not like the idea of some other guy keeping a piece of cloth that has touched my wife's private area. It just seems kind of gross and creepy. I for one am NOT going to do that for my wedding.

Anyone else with me on this one?

2 people like this

Yeah, it's a pretty creepy tradition. Won't be doing that. It seems in very poor taste: "Hey, guys! I just promised to love and honour this woman all the days of my life! Now, who wants some of her underwear?"

I remember Jason Evert (chastity speaker) talking about his friend's wedding. Instead of the garter toss, his friend got his bride to sit in a chair, then he got down on his hands and knees to wash her feet in front of everyone, as a sign of how he would honour and serve his bride in marriage. I think that's a little extreme for me, but I like the sentiment behind it.

xxx

3 people like this

I don't want him to do that. I'm not sharing that access to myself with other people. I'll be like, "Hands off the merchandise. Husband only".

2 people like this

For those who are unfamiliar with this practice. It is the like the tradition of a bride tossing a flower bouquet for all the single ladies attending and the one who catches it is considered to be the next one to be wedded. The groom has a similar tradition where he reaches under the bride's dress and pulls out a white strap called a garter that is wrapped around her upper thigh and tosses it into a crowd of single guys and the catcher is also considered to be the next to marry.

But tossing the garter doesn't sit well with me. I do not like the idea of some other guy keeping a piece of cloth that has touched my wife's private area. It just seems kind of gross and creepy. I for one am NOT going to do that for my wedding.

Anyone else with me on this one?

No way am I going to do that. That is something that must stay between us.

No way! I know some guys take their bride's garter off with their teeth in front of all the wedding guests. I just think that's a bit vulgar. I totally agree with you guys my husband will not be tossing my under-garments to a crowd of men. No thank you!

2 people like this

I agree with ya MarriageMaterial! I never liked it when I saw people do that at their wedding! I just think that should be something private.

I didn't know about this practice until I was at my cousins wedding last weekend. After the bouquet toss, all the single guys were called up and I went up there not knowing what to expect. As I saw my cousin's husband reach under my cousin's dress and pull out the garter, I was like "Oh hell no!" No way am I catching an undergarment from someone else's wife, let alone from my own cousin! That's just wrong on so many levels.

Um, I don't really like the idea of this. I am personally pretty shy about people knowing my personal business. I know I "speak" a lot on this site, but I'm for real pretty introverted/quiet in person unless I know you. Even then, though, I'm a private person. I blush at the mere idea of our families/friends knowing we're going to have sex. Something about that just... Makes me blush and feel like my privacy is being invaded, even though I know it's a natural part of life and marriage. So... WIth that being said, I don't want anything risque at my wedding. There has to be another tradition that can be fun but not so... Private, I think. I don't want his hands under my dress with everyone watching. And I would probably fall over and pass out on the spot if he even DARED to try and take it off with his teeth. What the what? Really? No, absolutely not.

He and I will invent our own little tradition or something that does not involve a garter toss. Thanks! Haha.

2 people like this

I blush at the mere idea of our families/friends knowing we're going to have sex. Something about that just... Makes me blush and feel like my privacy is being invaded, even though I know it's a natural part of life and marriage.......I don't want his hands under my dress with everyone watching. And I would probably fall over and pass out on the spot if he even DARED to try and take it off with his teeth. What the what? Really? No, absolutely not.

YES! I am so terrified that everyone at my wedding is going to be thinking about what my husband and I will be doing that night. My face is going to be so red at my wedding. I will be the blushing bride, that's for sure.

1 person likes this

Instead of the garter toss, his friend got his bride to sit in a chair, then he got down on his hands and knees to wash her feet in front of everyone, as a sign of how he would honour and serve his bride in marriage.

I'm definitely opting for the foot-washing...

That sounds like a much better alternative. But I'm not sure if I could even do that. This might be TMI, but I have a thing for um...women's feet. I don't think my mind could stay pure while I do it...yeah....

*runs away*

YES! I am so terrified that everyone at my wedding is going to be thinking about what my husband and I will be doing that night. My face is going to be so red at my wedding. I will be the blushing bride, that's for sure.

Hahahaha yes!!! It's not just me! This thought has always plagued my mind and I feel embarrassed even thinking about how embarrassed I'm going to be! Why? Haha I know it's okay and it's natural, I just feel like it's an invasion of my and my husband's privacy that they know what we're going to be doing. What the what? I'll be blushing, too. No doubt!! I even have this thing about our altar kiss that I'm like "Okay, don't make it too long because I don't want their minds wandering, and keep your hands up here, and seriously, don't make it too long!" Hahaha. Yes, it's that serious. I just want to let it be what it will be, and I probably honestly will be too caught up in the moment to try and dictate the way it all happens... I'm just shy about it, kind of. :wub:

I'm definitely opting for the foot-washing...

Interesting, I'll have to go and check it out. But knowing me, I might even have an issue with that... Haha I just have an issue with expressing intimacy in front of hundreds of guests. Maybe I'll get over this one day, but I still won't change my mind on the garter toss. Nope, not for me. Gotta go a different route!

That sounds like a much better alternative. But I'm not sure if I could even do that. This might be TMI, but I have a thing for um...women's feet. I don't think my mind could stay pure while I do it...yeah....

*runs away*

Don't run away! I don't think it's TMI. You're just being honest. :) It's respectful though, that you even consider against the foot washing ceremony because of wanting to stay pure in mind. I like that and I think it's sweet that you care.

1 person likes this

Don't run away! I don't think it's TMI. You're just being honest. :) It's respectful though, that you even consider against the foot washing ceremony because of wanting to stay pure in mind. I like that and I think it's sweet that you care.

Thanks for understanding, RJ. I used to think there was something wrong with me, but I found out it's pretty common among men. Still, I feel a bit weird about it.

Thanks for understanding, RJ. I used to think there was something wrong with me, but I found out it's pretty common among men. Still, I feel a bit weird about it.

You're welcome! I'm nothing if not understanding. You're not alone in that, trust me... Plenty of men have hit on me because of my feet and a lot of my guy friends constantly remind me "Ro, you have such pretty feet!" I'm like "Uhh, thanks, okay stop looking at me!" So you're definitely not alone. It's okay to feel a little strange about something that seems weird, but we're all human and we all have our own little quirks that make us, us... I can think of something I find attractive on guys that isn't necessarily sexual, but it still conjures up some kind of sexual excitement in me. I won't go into details for the sake of discretion, haha... But I can guarantee you're not alone in your "things." I think we all have one. The only time it gets out of control is when you're obsessive about it or don't realize that it's becoming more of a hindrance to a healthy sexual relationship. You know, like when you can't talk yourself out of losing control because of it. I hope that makes sense. No worries, though!

1 person likes this

Oh girls....dont be embarrassed about people knowing your going to sleep with your husband after your wedding. There would be something fundamentally wrong with your relationship as a newly married couple if you didnt plan on sleeping together!! Could you imagine what people would say if they thought you were going to remain celibate within marriage?? They would feel very sorry for your husband!!

You should be dead proud on your wedding day that you remained pure until your marriage, but at that point you will literally have a licence to do what you want to each other!! Your wedding day is a celebration of your love... so don't be ashamed of it! I will be the cat that got the cream on my wedding day and I wont be embarrassed, in fact I will be dragging my husband out of the reception and up the stairs when it's all over....provided he doesnt pick me up and start running to speed us along!!! :D

5 people like this

There's another tradition where the bride wears a garter all day and then it is removed in private later by the groom as a sign that they are now ready to begin their sexual relationship - that's one that I'm pretty sure I'd like to do :)

5 people like this

There's another tradition where the bride wears a garter all day and then it is removed in private later by the groom as a sign that they are now ready to begin their sexual relationship - that's one that I'm pretty sure I'd like to do :)

Well now that's a different (and very interesting) kettle of fish.....

Nay, I guess. I like tradition, and it's kind of creepy if the guy does it.

Well now that's a different (and very interesting) kettle of fish....

Did someone say fish? Mmm, I'm quite hungry now!

On a tangent here, do people really cook fish in kettles? I mean for example, in my culture, I've never seen a fish being cooked in a kettle before, lol.

I agree, it's like you are offering both a free ass shot, and a garment that has been close to your wife's private areas. I am against the garter toss. I would be open for a different ritual, but not doing that one.

I honestly think it's a fun and entertaining thing to watch. I have always heartily laughed and clapped when I see the groom remove the garter with his teeth. Is that going to be at my wedding? Hell no. That's too much for my taste. But is it a light-hearted and hilarious wedding tradition? Hell yes.

ummm no I'm not giving my wifes underwear away that's just weird I mean who even thought that idea up "I know let's throw my wifes underwear to my mate and see who catches it" sounds kinds juvenile to me

@mark never seen it before but I guess if you really wanted to you could make a fish stew in a kettle over a camp fire or something... Talking about kettles I have a housemate who boils things in his kettle when it say to boil it in the instructions like noodles and frozen veg etc :o

2 people like this

I never really though about it that way...I do like the idea that AussieStig said about taking it off earlier. That way it can still be thrown at the reception. It's not like it's ALL the way up on the tip top of my thigh. At one of my sorority sister's weddings a couple months ago, the garter was just AT the reception for when it was time to toss it. She didn't have it on for him to have to take off.

1 person likes this