Guest Ace

Would you be upset if...

34 posts in this topic

your husband didn't wear his wedding band all the time?

I've always wondered if it's just me, but for some reason, I find it a bit upsetting that my husband would not wear his wedding band. I automatically look at a guy's left ring finger when I meet him to see if he's wearing a band or not. It determines how I treat him. I am always friendly, but I may be a little more friendly towards a young man I meet who isn't wearing a band. Not in a flirtatious way, either... I'll just be more open, I guess is the better word. You know, I want to respect whatever relationship that man might have, and if he has a band on his left ring finger, I'm going to assume he's married and treat him as such.

I can understand if he is doing something where he doesn't want to lose it, or mess it up... But hey, haha after working in jewelry for 6 years, I have sold PLENTY of Tungsten and titanium wedding bands to men who work in oil and don't want to ruin their gold bands. It can be done, no excuses ;) I'd even buy my husband two different bands just so that he'd always wear it. Not 24/7, but majority of the time. To me, it symbolizes respect, unity, love, and commitment. To see him without it, I'd feel that something is lacking in our relationship.

Then of course there are just some times he simply won't want to wear his, as I'm sure there are times I won't want to wear mine. When we are lounging around the house, that's fine. But when we are out, I think it's important that we wear that symbol to let the world know we are taken and committed.

Just curious as to how y'all feel about this?

Yeah, I'd be upset! Obviously, he might a good reason sometimes to take it off, e.g. if he worked in a job with machinery, for example, where it'd be dangerous if it got caught in something. But I don't think it'd be okay for him to simply choose not to wear it. I mean, I'm definitely going to wear my ring all the time, even around the house, and only take it off if I have a serious reason to do so. So I'd be upset if he didn't want to do the same.

xxx

2 people like this

Yeah, I think it would bother me if he didn't wear it. I understand about maybe not being able to wear it because of his job, but if that were the case, perhaps he could wear it on a cord around his neck, or even maybe get one of those wedding ring tattoos.

My parents have been married for 29 years, and my father never takes his wedding ring off.

3 people like this

Yes. Unless there are special circumstances, he better wear that ring. I know I'll be wearing mine.

2 people like this

I would hope he would always wear it--I mean i guess I'd feel hurt and confused as to why he would take it off. He would have to have a good reason

1 person likes this

I have the perspective that each person has a whole host of preferences that they develop before they meet their significant other. I don't know that it's necessarily fair to have certain expectations of your partner's behavior based on your memories, traditions, or associations alone. So, in essence, if he simply is not a ring person, then I don't particularly feel the need to pressure him. Keep in mind that I'm not a wring person either.

1 person likes this

I honestly plan on never taking it off. I want it to get to the point where I feel naked without it haha. But yeah mine will have to be pretty heavy duty...titanium sounds interesting

5 people like this

I want to wear a ring forever, but I honestly don't think I physically can. I have skeleton-like fingers and I doubt there are rings that are small enough for me. What I will do is wear my wedding band on the same necklace as my gold cross.

4 people like this

I want to wear a ring forever, but I honestly don't think I physically can. I have skeleton-like fingers and I doubt there are rings that are small enough for me. What I will do is wear my wedding band on the same necklace as my god cross.

There will be a ring small enough for you... I have seen girls with rings on miniscule fingers just get your ring in a decent jewellers and they will sort you out! :) Ring sizes can be very small see the chart below!!

post-1881-0-36470600-1345544734_thumb.jp

3 people like this

I honestly plan on never taking it off. I want it to get to the point where I feel naked without it haha. But yeah mine will have to be pretty heavy duty...titanium sounds interesting

Tungsten is really good as well my friend. It's highly dent and scratch resistant.

1 person likes this

Nah, he can take it off whenever he wants. Jewelry is bothersome to me and I hate it, so I can totally understand why a guy would feel that way - they're not used to wearing rings, bracelets, necklaces, etc. Wedding bands are nice to own, but I don't think so nice to wear. At least not all the time.

1 person likes this

I might fidget with mine for a while, but if I can withhold certain pleasures for years and years out of deference to my wife, I suspect a little ring kept on the finger won't be a problem. Besides. I have nine more ringless ones.

2 people like this

Thanks for your answers, everyone!! Thanks for interjecting as well, guys. Eh, gentlemen. Can I just applaud the guys on this board? Y'all are all such sweet guys and I really appreciate each of you taking a stand for what you believe in, in spite of the world's "standards" for you! *Claps hands vigorously* hahah. Now, anyway... It's nice to hear your input as well, gentlemen. So thank you! I've got brain surgery brain going on today, and am having a somewhat difficult time focusing on one task because of racing thoughts... So I'm not in the mental space to reply to y'all individually, but I'll come back when I feel I can reply coherently haha. Don't want y'all thinkin' I'm drunk or something in my replies. Haha. Thank y'all, though. :)

5 people like this

I've got brain surgery brain going on today, and am having a somewhat difficult time focusing on one task because of racing thoughts.

:blink:

Wow. Take care of yourself, RJ.

:blink:

Wow. Take care of yourself, RJ.

I am! I just get racing thoughts sometimes and I can't focus. It's not as bad as it was when I first came home, but sometimes I just get so scatterbrained that I have to just sit down and not focus on anything at all until I can try to pick my thoughts apart one at a time. Trust me when I say, I am well on the road to making a comeback. Doing MUCH better than I was 4 months ago, and certainly 6 1/2 months ago when my brain aneurysm ruptured. Thank you, though. I appreciate you lookin' out!! Oh, and so as to not confuse anyone... I already had brain surgery!! February 6. I just say "brain surgery brain" because the little things that use to happen before I got sick are magnified, now. Like it just takes me longer to focus and slow my mind down because a part of it is broken. Haha. I'm doing really well, though. Praise to God!! :)

1 person likes this

As far as I'm concerned, the idea of taking of my own wedding ring never even occured to me before. I guess it's because I've always assumed, once it's on, it's on for life !

Wait, I actually have thought about it as I want to become a surgeon. I wouldn't be supposed to wear any jewelry on my hands in surgery. I would probably slip it off during interventions and put it on the gold chain I'm wearing around my neck...

I guess I hope for the same attitude in my husband: he doesn't take it off unless he has a good reason for it.

1 person likes this

well see here, mine will be off and on alot, i want to be a psychiatrist, but i have to go trhough the military to pay for med school, so the ring will be off during pt and other activities, a like working with cars, and getting under the hood, the ring will be off then, dont feel like lossing a hand, i until ibecome a psychatrist will work my summer, and extra time in contruction companies working, meanin no ring, if my wife minds then she isnt the right women for me, i wont be like oh i dont feel like it, ill be i have to take it off,  and thats that. So ya my thoughts on this thing

2 people like this

I love the idea of wearing it all the time. Not out of protocol, but out of love. I already wear a plan silver band as a purity ring and sometimes switch it my left hand when i am fiddling with it, so I am used to the idea of wearing a ring.

Incidentally, for those that didn't know, we wear a ring on our left ring finger because in Roman times, it was believed the vein in that finger connected directly to the heart. It was called Vena Amoris or "Vein of Love".

1 person likes this

I wouldn't have a problem wearing a ring all the time except for maybe a shower or something, idk do any of you who have graduated still wear you class rings or not. I loved wearing my class ring and id still be wearing it today if I didn't drop all that weight to where it wouldn't fit anymore. its a funny thing about rings when you wear em for a while, you get to the point where you don't even know you have it on till you take it off then when its off it feels more like its there but its not. the same goes for watches too it feels likes its there when your not wearing it but for the most part I don't wear a watch, I tried to get used to it but never could and I always end up breaking it in some way while working on a car and it always got in the way.

Oh my God. I would be paranoid if my guy took his off!  I'm wearing mine even when I'm six feet under.

1 person likes this

I personally would be offended, like my parents have a really bad marriage and they don't wear there wedding rings, so yeah I think if your partner really loves you he would.

I would prefer my future husband wore his wedding band, but I wouldn't have a problem if he didn't. I would definitely wear mine though!

1 person likes this

Look I don't see any reason to get offended if a guy doesn't wear his ring. Unless you don't trust that he really loves you. I mean I am in the Marines and there is almost never a time in which it is practical or allowed. Look I would be fine wearing it on my dog-tag chain as I do with my purity ring now or even getting a tattoo. But like it was said in the first point and several after is that girls would be 'paranoid' if their man didn't wear his ring...WHY? If he waited 20+ years for you do you really not trust that he won't cheat on you now? Or are you more worried about how other women will treat him...still even if they do its not like he won't repel their advances and let them know he is married. Think this is more about trust and less about some ring....I would feel the same way about my wife in fact we can get tattoos together....even more permanent than rings cause you can't take a tattoo off. So forever announcing our love for each other to all....which it will be forever.

Well I'm allergic to a lot of metals if they're in contact with my skin for more than a few days, so the part where the metal is touching with get all itchy and sore. I won't wear a ceramic ring because those can't be cut off if needed in an emergency, so if my wife gets mad I don't wear a ring, too bad.