Invincible

Would you marry someone with different political views?

37 posts in this topic

I'd be fine with someone with different political views depending on the attitude those beliefs are stemming from. I was in a very serious relationship with a staunch Republican that didn't pan out well, though that was more because it came from a generally elitist and narrow view of the world that also colored his other behaviours. The belief that the poor just had to "work harder" and make better career choices, or not getting that other people just didn't have the money and trust fund that he was so blessed to have. Not understanding that where we are in life is highly based on how we start life: the family we are born into, the country we are born into, money, opportunity. It took this silly Skeptopotamus a little too long to pick up on the signs that he was missing a generous spirit towards others and was stuck in a bubble of entitlement.

I'm pretty libertarian when it comes to how others should be permitted to live their lives. I'm more conservative in my own personal choices. For example, I'm personally pro-life, but politically pro-choice because I'm don't know the background story of the women that find themselves considering an abortion. I'm not about to picket clinics and I definitely don't think that's the way to reach people with opposing views. I'm Canadian and love this blasted country, so for gun laws I haven't thought about it any amount of depth. I'm quite content with the status quo here on that topic. Gay marriage? Again, general civil liberties come first. I know some believe that marriage is created by God and subject to the rules of God (and which of the 1000s of concepts of God do you subscribe to?), but marriage is also a civil institution. So I'm for it. Again I'm very resistant of expecting people to adhere to rules that are part of a religious context that they are quite possibly not even a part of.

Also, not really political but I do believe that skinny jeans on men should be punishable by death.

7 people like this

A monarchist in Knoxville, TN? I never thought I'd see the day. 

The day is here :)

I'd be fine with someone with different political views depending on the attitude those beliefs are stemming from. I was in a very serious relationship with a staunch Republican that didn't pan out well, though that was more because it came from a generally elitist and narrow view of the world that also colored his other behaviours. The belief that the poor just had to "work harder" and make better career choices, or not getting that other people just didn't have the money and trust fund that he was so blessed to have. Not understanding that where we are in life is highly based on how we start life: the family we are born into, the country we are born into, money, opportunity. It took this silly Skeptopotamus a little too long to pick up on the signs that he was missing a generous spirit towards others and was stuck in a bubble of entitlement.

I'm pretty libertarian when it comes to how others should be permitted to live their lives. I'm more conservative in my own personal choices. For example, I'm personally pro-life, but politically pro-choice because I'm don't know the background story of the women that find themselves considering an abortion. I'm not about to picket clinics and I definitely don't think that's the way to reach people with opposing views. I'm Canadian and love this blasted country, so for gun laws I haven't thought about it any amount of depth. I'm quite content with the status quo here on that topic. Gay marriage? Again, general civil liberties come first. I know some believe that marriage is created by God and subject to the rules of God (and which of the 1000s of concepts of God do you subscribe to?), but marriage is also a civil institution. So I'm for it. Again I'm very resistant of expecting people to adhere to rules that are part of a religious context that they are quite possibly not even a part of.

Also, not really political but I do believe that skinny jeans on men should be punishable by death.

YESSSSSS, my favorite kind of libertarian. One who genuinely understands the differences between private/personal preferences and laws inflicting those preferences on all people. One who still believes in individual generosity and understands privilege!

You can be friends with my libertarian husband and me. Not to brag, but we totally met Gary Johnson earlier this year. :D

3 people like this

I'm adding that I want her to support a woman's abortion when the mothers life is being threatened. Because come on, you can make another baby, but not another valued member of society quickly. Other than that, I could marry someone with different political views.

I don't vote, I don't care about this country, and I hate politics. I find talking about it boring and uninteresting. I can't marry a hardcore republican. I just can't because I don't want to hear that bs they talk about every day. I also don't want to marry a hardcore democrat. I want someone who doesn't care about politics. It's okay to have ever certain views on things but it shouldn't be that serious that you get into hardcore arguments with someone. I want to marry someone who doesn't care and/ or have an open mind and different view points on topics. And not worry about what other people do with their lives. The only thing I do really care about is the gun violence and how there needs to be stricter gun laws.

Of course it's not a political issue, my good friend. If it were, the implication would be that there could be a valid argument in favor for skinny jeans on men. When the fact is, there is none. lol. Such a man would be insane or indifferent to the idea that his children will have a higher chance of birth defects due to...constriction. :P

We must educate these poor, misguided souls that they shouldn't be wearing their girlfriend's jeans. lol

2 people like this

I can't stand politics to be honest, at least in the U.S. There is no real debate, it is just two sides trying to make each other look as stupid as possible. I would be a lot more interested if people would explain why their policy is correct instead of why the other side's policy is the most idiotic thing they have ever heard of. I really don't care about political beliefs except for the ones that intersect with my religious beliefs. Mostly they have to be pro life. That is the big thing I can't compromise on.

8 people like this

I can't stand politics to be honest, at least in the U.S. There is no real debate, it is just two sides trying to make each other look as stupid as possible. I would be a lot more interested if people would explain why their policy is correct instead of why the other side's policy is the most idiotic thing they have ever heard of. I really don't care about political beliefs except for the ones that intersect with my religious beliefs. Mostly they have to be pro life. That is the big thing I can't compromise on.

We both think alike. I feel the same way.

1 person likes this

Maybe, it depends on how his views differ from mine. But if he isn't pro life, then he can get the hell away from me. It's not something I'm willing to compromise on.

6 people like this

I think that my future wife has to have the same ideas as I do. Or else persuade me to blend ideas with her. Politics don't just tell me who you vote for. What you think is right politically and religiously tell me a large part of who you are as a person. I think there is corruption in both of the two big parties in America. I am a Republican. I've known plenty of Democrats that I liked but as soon as they found out what I believed, they acted differently towards me and tried avoiding me. I kind of believe this is a different type of being unequally yoked. This is my opinion.

I really don't think I could. There are certain topics that I feel very strongly about and feel like it would cause too many arguments if the man I was dating had completely opposing opinions. There are some things I could compromise on e.g. if their political beliefs leaned a bit further right than mine do, but other things, such as their being pro-life, I couldn't make an exception for.

1 person likes this