Guest Rain

Would you marry someone of a different religion?

48 posts in this topic

I don't think so. A few doctrinal differences between us could make for interesting conversations, but without shared foundational values, it simply wouldn't work out between us. I don't really care if they're Baptist, or Russian Orthodox, or Coptic, or Messianic, or Roman Catholic, or maybe even a snake handler (well...okay, that might be a stretch)--but if we don't share the fundamental belief that the universe was created by the benevolent God of the Old and New Testaments, it's hard to believe we'll find much more in common. Practicality aside, it's a tenet of my religion not to marry someone of a different faith, so even if I wanted to, I couldn't without compromising my values.

EDIT: As loyalhero90 stated, though, I eagerly welcome friendship from people of all faiths. I just draw the line at romance.

Thanks for your answer.

No. We would be good friends but for marriage having the same religion would be important for me. Marriage is a union and for me religion would have to be the same to still be a union; a difference would provide a discourd. I would worry about our children's denomination and depending on what type of religion the guy followed that could be a very sticky situation.

Thank you for answering :)

Nope. That's something that I won't change my mind about. He has to be Christian.

Oh, okay. Thank you for your answer :)

no-i wouldn't be willing. My faith is an uncompromisable factor for me.

Thanks for your honest answer. :)

ALL OF THIS!!! Hahaha, I love when I can get into a thread and I have so many thoughts, but not as many ideas as to how to express them in a coherent manner, and y'all have already done the work for me!! We are all so different, yet very similar here and I love that about us! :)

I'll add my own input, though so I don't look like some bum who can't think hahah.

I would not marry someone of a different religion. Christianity is a strict must and something I will not compromise, no matter how much I may enjoy relating with a person. We can be friends, we can be close friends, we can learn from one another, and share our differences, however... I couldn't see myself romantically involved with this person. My Christian faith is such a major part of my core and the center from which I operate, truthfully. To compromise that for the sake of a relationship would be like compromising who I am, and clearly I hold strong to who I am. I wouldn't judge them or dislike them for their faith, though. Denominational differences wouldn't bother me too much (I don't believe-- I haven't ever had a serious relationship and before I "died"--seriously I'll never be the same as before-- in February and came back alive and absolutely in LOVE with God and His saving grace-- I never really discussed my religious beliefs with someone I was romantically involved with) as long as he believes Jesus is the Son of God who died and rose again for our sins, I wouldn't see too much of an issue. With that being said, I grew up in an Assembly of God church, then went to non-denominational churches, and now go to a Baptist church that I absolutely love and am spiritually nourished in. I really want to go to church (and Bible study and have prayer) with my husband, so I hope that we at least have some of the same viewpoints there. I have met couples who are married, both Christian, but different denominations, and there is a divide there because their churches are so different from one another. I think that ultimately, that would bother me just because I want us to be on the same page. I think that's why a lot of people can find their soulmate at church, for those of us who are believers. There's just that common ground there, and it solidifies a foundation on which to build a strong, lasting relationship that could (and seems like often does) lead to marriage. I'm a 1 Peter 4:8 kind of woman and I believe that it really does show in my life. I have friends of many different backgrounds, faiths, and even sexual orientations. I may never see their point of view, and certainly won't agree with them, but I will always love them. As a Christian, that's what I'm commanded to do, and since I truly love God with all that I have, I do what He commands. So... To try and keep this short (haha I'm so long winded, sorry y'all! *blush*) no, I couldn't marry someone of a different religion. Hahah. Ah, I make myself laugh with the detail I put into the replies, here and it's funny because I don't actually talk much unless I'm really comfortable with a person or people. But I can write for days. :)

I understand. I love how you quoted almost everyone, lol. I do that too :) I'm so sorry about what happened, I'm glad you're alive and well now, and I wish you well. Thank you so much for your answer :) Take care. Also, I love writing too, definitely can relate to when you said you could write for days, I feel that way too sometimes. :)

I understand. I love how you quoted almost everyone, lol. I do that too :) I'm so sorry about what happened, I'm glad you're alive and well now, and I wish you well. Thank you so much for your answer :) Take care. Also, I love writing too, definitely can relate to when you said you could write for days, I feel that way too sometimes. :)

Hahaha I couldn't help it! I just couldn't think coherently enough to write it out and I was scrolling through reading the responses like "Yep! That's me! Hey, this too! What? Are they inside of my mind or something!?" You're welcome, though. I am taking care of myself... One day at a time!! Haha I really could write for days, it's just so easy for and to me. Especially when I have something to say, but don't know exactly how to voice it. Thank YOU, ma'am for your awesome question!

Well, I don't belong to any religions but I believe in God/Creator. I think it really depends on how deadset someone is in their religion on if I'd be able to marry them or not. If you don't believe in the same type of ideals then it's kind of hard to really connect with each other on a deep level. It's like there is a block in the way.

Do I see myself marrying a rock-solid christian or athiest? No. I respect their beliefs and will still be great friends with them but I wouldn't ever be able to take it farther than that. Too complicated for me, lol.

1 person likes this

Hahaha I couldn't help it! I just couldn't think coherently enough to write it out and I was scrolling through reading the responses like "Yep! That's me! Hey, this too! What? Are they inside of my mind or something!?" You're welcome, though. I am taking care of myself... One day at a time!! Haha I really could write for days, it's just so easy for and to me. Especially when I have something to say, but don't know exactly how to voice it. Thank YOU, ma'am for your awesome question!

I love moments like that, when you see someone wrote what you were thinking :) That's good that your taking care of yourself, I'm glad :) I know what you mean, I've always loved writing too. In fact, I'm more comfortable speaking through text, than I am in person sometimes. You're so sweet :) Thank you.

Well, I don't belong to any religions but I believe in God/Creator. I think it really depends on how deadset someone is in their religion on if I'd be able to marry them or not. If you don't believe in the same type of ideals then it's kind of hard to really connect with each other on a deep level. It's like there is a block in the way.

Do I see myself marrying a rock-solid christian or athiest? No. I deeply respect their beliefs and will still be great friends with them but I wouldn't ever be able to take it farther than that. Too complicated for me, lol.

Thank you for your answer, I agree about sharing the same values and stuff :)

I believe in God, but am not really part of a set religion, marrying a very religious person definitely would not work out- I can tell you that.

I know I definitely would. I'm Muslim, but my family and I have always lived in places that were mostly full of christian people. I even studied some biblical stories in elementary school because of that. The way I am, when I love someone it's for their personality, their smile, etc., it doesn't really matter what religion they are as long as they believe in god. Yes it would be nice to find a Muslim guy to fall in love with, etc., and who knows maybe it'll even happen. Just in case it doesn't though, I know I would marry someone of a different religion. All I would I ask of them though is to not force his beliefs on me, because I know I wouldn't do that to him with mine. (Unless he asked me to teach him and considered converting, then yes I would help him.) My question is, would you marry someone who had a different religion? If no, why not?

No I would'nt.. It is against the Christian faith to be unequally yoked. I tired dating a muslim… It didnt go over with her father to well if he found out I was a White, Christian, American Soldier LOL

I'm kind of undecided when it comes to Catholics though. To me, they would fall somewhere between slight and major differences in theology. I guess what I'm trying to say is at the very least, I'm not 100% against the possibility of marrying a Catholic.

Catholicism is the original church, though. All Christian faiths stem from Catholicism. Perhaps your Christian denomination is very different than most Protestant reform sects, but the theology between the two is generally the same.

Catholicism is the original church, though. All Christian faiths stem from Catholicism. Perhaps your Christian denomination is very different than most Protestant reform sects, but the theology between the two is generally the same.

Yes and no. You're right in pretty much everything you said, but the the differences between Protestant denominations are small compared to one between a Protestant and a Catholic. Hence why there was a great schism when the Protestant movement broke away from the Catholic Church.

The Catholics and Protestants do share basic theological concepts such as Jesus Christ was God in the form of man as a result of a virgin birth, belief in the Holy Trinity and the death and resurrection of Jesus. But there are also major differences in concepts surrounding the similarities. I'm not even talking about small differences in worship style or the proper way of observing communion, I'm talking about major differences that greatly affect our understanding of the similarities. For example, Protestants believe that God's teachings come solely from the Bible, whereas Catholics believe it can come from both Scripture and church tradition. That's a pretty big difference church tradition is held in equal or nearly equal importance to Scripture. Another big differences is our understanding of salvation, a central concept in Christian/Catholic faith. Protestants believe salvation is obtain purely on repentance and trust in Jesus Christ as the Savior and generally believe salvation cannot be lost. Catholics believe that and the upholding of sacraments, which is essentially somewhat based on maintaining good works and salvation can be lost when a person knowingly commits a sin. Now based on my view as a Protestant and my admittedly limited understanding of Catholicism (Any Catholics here, feel free to correct me), I believe the doctrine of good works defeats the purpose of salvation through Christ. The Old Testament was a lesson to show us how impossible it was for mankind to fully keep God's commandments through works. Therefore, God sent His Son to die and atone for our sins so that the price of death was forever paid. So salvation is not obtained through satisfying God through works, but through grace.

I mean, I don't want to turn this into a religious debate or anything. But I do want to make it clear that I am not closed off to the possibility of marrying a Catholic woman. I'm just unsure at the moment whether or not the differences between us would be too great for compatibility. I guess I would have to sit down with her and discuss things to see how drastically the differences would affect our marriage.

1 person likes this

Another big differences is our understanding of salvation, a central concept in Christian/Catholic faith. Protestants believe salvation is obtain purely on repentance and trust in Jesus Christ as the Savior and generally believe salvation cannot be lost. Catholics believe that and the upholding of sacraments, which is essentially somewhat based on maintaining good works and salvation can be lost when a person knowingly commits a sin. Now based on my view as a Protestant and my admittedly limited understanding of Catholicism (Any Catholics here, feel free to correct me), I believe the doctrine of good works defeats the purpose of salvation through Christ. The Old Testament was a lesson to show us how impossible it was for mankind to fully keep God's commandments through works.

Well, that's pretty much it. The idea is, to be saved, you need to believe that Christ is the Saviour, and freely choose to love God. But you can't love God if you freely choose to sin against Him, against your neighbours, or against yourself. We believe that if you choose to commit a serious (mortal) sin, even though you know it's going against what God wants, and you don't then repent and ask for God's forgiveness, then how can you truly say you love Him? I mean, you can believe in Jesus Christ as the Saviour, and then be a horrible person who hates everyone and treats them terribly. I doubt very much you'd get into Heaven that way.

(That was fun! I love answering this kind of thing!)

xxx

1 person likes this

I believe in God, but am not really part of a set religion, marrying a very religious person definitely would not work out- I can tell you that.

I see. Thank you for answering :)

No I would'nt.. It is against the Christian faith to be unequally yoked. I tired dating a muslim… It didnt go over with her father to well if he found out I was a White, Christian, American Soldier LOL

I see. Every father is strict when it comes to his little girl, whether he's Muslim or not. If it's a racial thing, I believe, you sir, are talking about discrimination, and it doesn't matter where he came from or what religion he followed, he must have been a bad person, because that's racist. Just because one idiot was like that, doesn't mean all Muslims are like him, it was just one person and his stupid opinion. My family for many generations has been very open minded, some of my relatives in the past/present have married people of other races/religions (of course they all decided to convert to Islam by choice) and they're all very happy. We don't wear head scarfs (don't be surprised, yes there are Muslims who don't wear the Hijab lol :) ). I just think that race/religion shouldn't matter. I grew up with western surroundings and I don't feel any different from my friends. Now that I know that it's the Christian faith that doesn't allow you to marry people from other religions, I understand. Honestly, all these answers made me think deeper, and I've come to the realization that there might be some conflicts in a marriage about certain things, due to the differences in our beliefs, and so I'm rethinking this too. Maybe it is better I marry someone of my own religion, I don't know. Thank you for your answer :)

P.S A lot of girls like a man in a uniform :P

Definitely :)

I'm so sorry for replying so late, I didn't see your answer until just now.

Thank you for your answer, I love it, and agree 100%. :)

I have dated someone who was not the same religion as me (though I don't practice a religion any more) and it was VERY hard on us. Not because we didn't respect each other (of course we did) but we were heading in different directions. Honestly, it nearly killed me. I would not want to be with someone who did not have similar values towards faith as it creates a lot of heartache.

1 person likes this

I'm a Roman Catholic. I don't know if I would marry a Protestant, or a member of an Orthodox church, but I don't think I'd marry a non-Christian.

It's not that non-Christians are unpalatable or bad, but the difference in religion can't be too great. I like everyone in the family going to church :) Also, I like the parents being on the same page on how to raise the children.

I have dated someone who was not the same religion as me (though I don't practice a religion any more) and it was VERY hard on us. Not because we didn't respect each other (of course we did) but we were heading in different directions. Honestly, it nearly killed me. I would not want to be with someone who did not have similar values towards faith as it creates a lot of heartache.

I see. Thanks for answering. :)

I'm a Roman Catholic. I don't know if I would marry a Protestant, or a member of an Orthodox church, but I don't think I'd marry a non-Christian.

It's not that non-Christians are unpalatable or bad, but the difference in religion can't be too great. I like everyone in the family going to church :) Also, I like the parents being on the same page on how to raise the children.

I see. Thank you for answering. :)

@Altan, I just want you to clarify how being Muslim makes one exotic? i always acquitted "exotic" with facial features and race.