Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sophie

How do you feel about Miss, Ms, and Mrs?

24 posts in this topic

I think I'm one of those rare girls that isn't bothered by them. I will never change my last name, but I totally want to become a Mrs when I marry! I want the whole world to know I'm in love and married to my soul mate. My mom remained a Ms when she married, and she never changed her surname. Married women have the choice now, so I don't view it as anti-feminist anymore. I know quite a few women who married yet remained a Ms.

However, I do think that having Miss and Ms is kind of pointless. All Miss means is that you are under the age of 18 (at least that's what it means in North America.) I think the government should just pick Miss or Ms and erase the other title completely. And I like Miss the best! Because it looks pretty and sounds more elegant. lol. But really it doesn't matter, I guess.

Oh, I love Miss and Mrs! I love how traditional it is, and just like changing your name when you get married, it's a sign of your new "identity" as a married woman. I don't mind people calling themselves Ms, just like I don't see a problem with keeping your name when you get married, but it's not something I'd do. But I quite like the sound of Miss and Mrs.

Oh, I just remember a limerick I heard once somewhere!

Those insisting on calling me "Ms"

Somewhat make me get into a tizz

I am happy with "Miss"

And without wedded bliss

Until a man claims me as his.

xxx

4 people like this

Oh, I just remember a limerick I heard once somewhere!

Those insisting on calling me "Ms"

Somewhat make me get into a tizz

I am happy with "Miss"

And without wedded bliss

Until a man claims me as his.

xxx

Cool limerick!

I like being called "Miss" of course I am a youngin - it makes me sound more sophisticated and older. Mrs kindof annoys me, im not sure why, but I would definitely take my husbands last name, even if it has 64 letters and a few xs and zs. Who doesnt like exoticness? :D

1 person likes this

I think they're all fine to use. No problem here. I'm looking forward to the Mrs. though. :)

I'm looking forward to the Mrs. though. :)

We all are! ;)

1 person likes this

I like Mrs. of course hahaha. I don't know if I'm changing my last name yet. I used to be adamant on keeping my last name, but I don't know anymore. we'll see what happens ;)

I think Miss and Mrs should be eradicated. It should just be Ms whether you're single or married.
The reason being; a woman should not be differentiated by her marital status. After all, a man is Mr whether he is married of not. Why should a woman's availability (or lack there of) be distinguished by her title and a man's not?

I do plan on taking my future husband's last name as my own, but in the meantime, I don't mind being called "miss" or "ms." :)

3 people like this

I do plan on taking my future husband's last name as my own, but in the meantime, I don't mind being called "miss" or "ms." :)

Is Ms. pronounced different than Miss?

It's pronounced Mizz

Hahaha that made me crack up for some reason. It's true, but funny because I've never thought of it that way until now!

Haha when I first saw you quoted me, before I saw what you wrote, my first thought was "oh jeez don't tell me I've been saying it wrong my whole life" lol!

Is Ms. pronounced different than Miss?

Yes, Ms. is pronounced like the s is a z: Mz. And you already know how to pronounce Miss: it's like, "I miss you so much!" But it's not at all uncommon for them to be pronounced the same.

I prefer "Miss", but I don't mind "Ms." I find "Ms." useful in those situations where you don't know what someone's relationship status is and it would be rude to ask. What I don't really care for, but it is unavoidable as a teacher, is being "Mrs." when I am not married. I don't mind it from the kindergarteners, but when the principal I've worked with for two years still calls me "Mrs." more than "Miss" it gets a little old.

On the bright side, I have yet to be called "Mr."

I would probably feel more inclined to keep my last name if it weren't so awful. As it is, I am eager to take my future husband's surname, provided it doesn't manage to be worse than my own. Maybe if his last name was really bad too, we could invent one? Just kidding... probably.

Haha when I first saw you quoted me, before I saw what you wrote, my first thought was "oh jeez don't tell me I've been saying it wrong my whole life" lol!

Hahahah. No, you're fine!! I'm still laughing at that. I don't know why, either. It isn't funny, and it accurately describes the pronunciation/difference... I guess it's just funny to see it broken down.

I don't mind being called Miss, or Ms. Considering that I have always thought of Ms as more of a generic term as to not offend you because they don't know if you're married or not. However, I like the sound of Miss better. Though, Mrs (if I am lucky) will be a wonderful sound to be called... and I'm all about taking his last name. I see it as sort of a rite of passage into a new stage in life. :)

I follow a lot of photographers online, and a lot of them do engagement and wedding photos. I love the images where they are holding signs. The guys says 'I stole her heart.' and the girls says 'So, I'm stealing his last name'. Just the idea of the romance behind that gives me goosebumps. :)

I honestly can't even hear a difference between Miss/Ms/Mrs most of the time -- maybe it's just the way Texans pronounce them? I don't have strong feelings about any of them, and don't really care about being called different things in different contexts. For example, when my mother would volunteer at my school, she was always called "Mrs. [steadfast's father's last name]" by everyone, even though she was really "Ms. [Never changed her name]." It never bothered her. However, like Naturally said, in formal contexts where you can't cater to people's individual preferences, I think the standard should be "Ms."

I honestly can't even hear a difference between Miss/Ms/Mrs most of the time -- maybe it's just the way Texans pronounce them? I don't have strong feelings about any of them, and don't really care about being called different things in different contexts. For example, when my mother would volunteer at my school, she was always called "Mrs. [steadfast's father's last name]" by everyone, even though she was really "Ms. [Never changed her name]." It never bothered her. However, like Naturally said, in formal contexts where you can't cater to people's individual preferences, I think the standard should be "Ms."

Yeah, in the South they all sound exactly the same. It's very much a Mizzz sound.

At 27, the only people who should be calling me Miss are old. The vast majority of people, friends and strangers alike, have called me/addressed formal mail with Ms. since I entered college. I'm not sure the exact age according to formal etiquette that it changes, but I definitely started receiving the respect and courtesy of adulthood when I started undergrad at 18. And when I was still in the South, the "ma'am"ing started at about 18 too.

I didn't change my name when I got married, so I'm still Ms. Femme. And it frustrates me to no end when people who know me call me Mrs. Mari. My name has a lot of significance to me, and it's hurtful when people can't care enough about me to use my name.

2 people like this

I didn't change my name when I got married, so I'm still Ms. Femme. And it frustrates me to no end when people who know me call me Mrs. Mari. My name has a lot of significance to me, and it's hurtful when people can't care enough about me to use my name.

I totally respect that. Our names should be important to us. My wanting to change my last name is important to me, too. I think this 'importance' of our names, and what we do with them, just depends on who we are and what our personality is. :)

I prefer Ms. in all contexts.

Maybe if my husband was someone I was really proud to be with, I wouldn't mind Mrs.  But how does he signify his pride to be with me?

2 people like this