Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sophie

What kind of relationship do you have with your parents?

8 posts in this topic

My parents split when I was ten-ish so my mom became my primary caretaker, 7 days a week. My dad had always been the "fun parent" and my mom was the "unfun parent" but it got a LOT worse when she kind of became a single mother. My mom is a perfectionist control freak and I am an incredibly stubborn, laid-back girl who despises being controlled. Needless to say, our relationship was terminally rocky until I moved across the country for university. However, she was (and always will be) an eternally devoted mother and a continuous caretaker of me (just infuriating to live with.) I trust her more than anyone and no one will ever love me like she does. But we are too different and stubborn to properly function together. My dad was so much fun but he got into Internet dating and stopped being in my life as often as he was. I remained loyal to my father, whom I adored very much, but eventually I had to accept that he was no longer the parent I worshipped. He didn't abandon me, but he stopped being the "Super Dad" he was once. I felt entirely unloved. When I was 16 and in grade eleven, he became seriously involved with his current partner and once again became a bigger part of my life. Slowly I began to forgive him and eventually he was completely back (by then I was in grade twelve.) Now, things between him and I are as great as ever. With my mom things have certainly improved (much less fighting and anger,) but I can't stay at home long without going insane.

I'm lucky to have parents who are so super dedicated to me! My dad fell behind for 6 or so years, but it could have been much worse.

They're almost 80 now. We've had our ups and downs. But for the most part, our relationship has been good. Since being diagnosed with a serious health problem a few years back, they have always been there for me. One thing I think they've got that a lot of parents don't have is unconditional love. No matter what I'm going through or how bad things get, I know they're always going to be there (and I've been near death several times). I'd say I'm closer to my mom. She's an artist, like myself, and sometimes I think we can communicate without words. We both have the "Horse Whisperer" gift and can tame wild animals. My dad is very academic and straightforward. But he can't draw a straight line. He can make a decision in a split decision, though. He's also a comedian and keeps me laughing all the time. When I start talking about my problems around him, like my health and the odds of me not being here too much longer, he's always got a witty answer and makes me feel better. They are both pretty much laid back. Every time I go visit, my mom always has one of my favorite dishes waiting.

1 person likes this

My mama is very silly. I can't live without her. I talk to her on a daily basis just so we can have a good relationship. 

My dad is very stern. But I am a daddy's girl! 

My Dad and I are pretty good friends, Hate my mother, had a spark of joy at her last trip to the hospital.

Hmm ok. Here we go.

Father was my best mate until the day he died. We sat down in "his" room when I was a child and teen and he subtly explained to me many principles of WTM which I listened to until I grew to an age where I thought I knew better (idiot) glad I remember his wise words.

Still feel that he guides me to this day.

Mother is still alive (93) and is in an old peoples home and I visit here as much as I can. I think I'm one of the only people she remembers ( she has memory loss ). She is a sweety.

Both proud that they only had each other !!!

2 people like this

As long as I'm giving my dad money to pay the bills he's happy.

My mom loves me unconditionally, my dad though, I feel like his love is somewhat conditional.

My mom and I are best friends...NOW. My dad and I are not close at all...NOW.

OK, so, my parents divorced when I was 3. My dad kept up his visitation with us, regularly, until we hit puberty. I am not sure what happened, exactly, but I think he just couldn't handle us growing up. Until that point, I was a daddy's girl and my mom and sister were close. As we grew up, I started to see my dad for who he really was, and he stopped trying at all. Eventually, as a young adult, my mom and I started developing a better relationship and she is now my best friend. Unfortunately, my dad and I barely speak.