Mike

5 Guidelines for the Chat

8 posts in this topic

How're these?

1. Official group chat is Sundays at 6pm EST, but the chat room is always open.
It's never a bad time to chat! You can also access the WTM.org chat room from your smartphone. We have lots of members who like to hang out in chat throughout the week.

2. You can start private chats by clicking a person's name.
To the right of the chat window, there is a list of people chatting. You can click a person's name to start a private conversation with them.

3. In the main chatroom, use @name to address a specific person.
This is just for the sake of clarity. It can get confusing when ten people are all talking at once, so use @ liberally when you want to address a specific person. Example: "@Mike - I'm having trouble with something. Can I PM you a link?"

4. Follow WTM.org ettiquitte.
Pretend you're sitting at a restaurant with a group of friends, and remember that this group has guys and girls, thirtysomethings, teenagers, and everything in between. Try to read the room. A comment that would be appropriate among your 25-year-old guy buddies might not be appropriate in a room with teenage girls in it.

5. The Kendra Law: Remember to say goodbye before you exit chat!
This rule was suggested by WTM.org Member (and frequent chatter) Kendra. For one thing, saying goodbye before you leave is just good manners. But also, it lets us know that you're leaving because you intend to, and not because the chat system booted you or your internet died.

9 people like this

I love it MIKE!!!:D I'm so excited!!

2 people like this

Yeah, those look really good! I forgot about the @ thing, but you're right, that does get really confusing sometimes if we have loads of people in.

xxx

1 person likes this

How long does the group chat last for?    If it starts at 6 PM, does it last for an hour, two hours, etc?   Or does it just start then, and people generally stay however long they want?

The reason I'm asking I'm asking is because, depending on the week, I might be eating dinner at the time of the chat.  I'd want to know if there were still people taking part in group chat for one or more hours after the official start of it.  I also have an online friend who likes to talk to me regularly, but the days that we talk vary...so I'd just like to have some idea of what to expect if I chose to join the chat half an hour or an hour or more after the official start time.   Thanks.

1 person likes this

How long does the group chat last for?    If it starts at 6 PM, does it last for an hour, two hours, etc?   Or does it just start then, and people generally stay however long they want?

The reason I'm asking I'm asking is because, depending on the week, I might be eating dinner at the time of the chat.  I'd want to know if there were still people taking part in group chat for one or more hours after the official start of it.  I also have an online friend who likes to talk to me regularly, but the days that we talk vary...so I'd just like to have some idea of what to expect if I chose to join the chat half an hour or an hour or more after the official start time.   Thanks.

Yeah, there's usually a good group of people in chat up to at least 7:00, and usually longer almost all evening. For most nights anyway. So you wil most likely catch a few of us chattin' in up for the most part plenty after an hour after actual start time :) Feel free to join chat antime when you see a couple of us in there :)

1 person likes this