Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
truelovewaits

Priesthood and Celibacy

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone here see any correlation between the priesthood's call for celibacy and the fact that it has attracted more gay men or pedophiles than those willing to actually honor celibacy for the sake of one's committment to God?

well I'll be honest I take full advantage of the priest jokes in this regard :P

Actually, the rate of sexual abuse amongst celibate priests is no higher than with other denominations where the clergy do marry.

Being celibate doesn't cause sexual dysfunction. If these priests were to marry, they'd just take their problems into married life and abuse their wives. It's not a lack of a "sexual outlet" that makes people abuse children. They still have free will. I mean, think of all the guys out there who are virgins: it doesn't mean they go out and abuse children.

I'll add though that obviously, any cases of abuse are horrible, and need to be dealt with seriously. And it's fair to say that there have been bishops in the past who have done a pretty awful job in trying to fix the problem. But I don't think that priestly celibacy is the problem here.

well I'll be honest I take full advantage of the priest jokes in this regard :P

Huh? What does that mean?

xxx

1 person likes this

Being a man of strong opinions and resolute beliefs, I have but one response to thought-provoking threads that are sure to spark hours of lively, heated debate.

1 person likes this

I think a point to remember is that celibacy is not defined by virginity. WTM or WTH (Waiting Till Heaven) never enters the picture. Priests can have all kinds of backgrounds before they take their vows. If a sexual history is in their backgrounds, then I think it's impossible to honor celibacy for the sake of one's committment to God. If that's the case, I can see where self control would be more of a problem. But I don't think there are any more gay men or pedophiles in the Catholic church than any other church. I think the reason many people draw that correlation is because they are constantly fed those stories by the news media. And the media concentrate on the Catholic church because they are synonymous with celibacy. Unfortunately, the uneducated masses have given the Catholic church a monopoly on celibacy. I feel the call to celibacy. But I go to a Baptist church, don't live in a monastary, am over 50, still waiting, straight, and not a pedophile. That's not going to make news. I do feel like the priests who commit these atrocities and the news media do a disservice to men who genuinely have this gift and are living decent lives.

2 people like this

Does anyone here see any correlation between the priesthood's call for celibacy and the fact that it has attracted more gay men or pedophiles than those willing to actually honor celibacy for the sake of one's committment to God?

Well to be honest, when I read the topic, I suppose I thought I would have different input.

But anyway, I don't think that a "call for celibacy" correlates to "gay men or pedophiles" in the Church. The argument here is a little misleading, but here is my observation:

I know many conflicted Christian gays might be celibate because of their Christian views, maybe ashamed to act on them, and choose to live a "celibate" life as opposed to that of "sinning". I know some non-Catholics now just opening up about it, and finally becoming comfortable with their sexuality. Don't for sure know any gay Catholic. However, I think those that are dedicated to the religion that know they won't be able to act on their feelings, due to church teaching, may choose priesthood as a way to live a Christian life to avoid acting on their sexual inclinations.

Personally, I don't think struggling with celibacy leads someone to stray into the realm of being a pedophile. For example, if a guy is unable to get a girlfriend, does that automatically mean they should start liking guys? If I don't have enough money to get by, does that automatically mean I go rob a bank?

I think it's a flawed comparison. People that do those things are wired that way - it's not something that just happens.

Also, the "attracted more gay men or pedophiles than those willing to actually honor celibacy for the sake of one's commitment to God" comment. Really? I know a lot of Catholic priests, and though many of them may have gay mannerisms, I would say most honor their commitment to celibacy, gay or not. People have broken their silence on abuse, so they are more apt to come forward because they don't have to live in fear of reprisal - strength in numbers. I would hardly say most priests have been accused of wrong doing.

Just my thoughts.