Sophie

Are your parents still married?

32 posts in this topic

My parents are not divorced, nor will they ever get divorced due to financial reasons (like lawyers,) and divorces are too complicated and messy. But my parents ARE seperated and have been for around 10 years. My dad has been in a long-term relationship for about 3 years now.

My parents met in their early-to-mid-thirties, and eventually moved in together after dating for 3 years or so. They lived together for I think at least 5 years, weighing the pros and cons of marriage before deciding to do it in their early forties. They got married, bought a house (not necessarily in that order, but very close together) and literally a year later after buying the house, I was born and they adopted me when I was one month old. I think my parents seperated when I was 10. Overall, they were together for around 18 years, possibly more. They just grew apart too much (they are *such* different people now.)

While I am sometimes sad I never had a "normal" family, my dad's girlfriend is really great and she's been fantastic for my father, and has made such an effort to be a part of my life (which I so appreciate.) She's basically my step-mom now seeing as she and my dad have practically been living together for a year and a half (now they are definitely living together and are building a house for themselves.) I am actually secretly hoping my parents will divorce and my dad'll marry his partner so she can be my official step-mom and I will have two step-brothers.

What about your parents? :)

Yeah, mine are still married. Just had their anniversary! Their 29th, I think...

xxx

No. They split when I was 11. Despite not getting along very well prior to the divorce, they are quite respectful to one another now, and neither party attempted to use my sister or I as a bargaining chip when we were young.

Watching their marriage crumble has made me all the more devoted to ensuring neither me, my potential spouse, or any children under our care should ever have to endure such an ordeal. Should I ever get married, that is. Before that happens, I need to learn to stop walking about the house with Nacho Cheese-Flavored Bugles stuck to my fingertips. A massive turn-off, that.

1 person likes this

Mine had a baby (my bro, who is 8 years older than me), got married, divorced, got married, had a baby (me), divorced and now never talk to each other :P

My parents were married. My father is deceased, however, prior to that my parents were married for 31 years and together for almost 37.

Mine had a baby (my bro, who is 8 years older than me), got married, divorced, got married, had a baby (me), divorced and now never talk to each other :P

Now that's an unusual story!

My parents are still married after 54 years. First marriage for both of them.

2 people like this

My parents are still together after 23 years and are very unhappy in this marriage.

My parents are still happily married after 32 years, despite MANY hardships that would have shaken a weaker marriage. They're an inspiration to me :)

2 people like this

My parents got divorced a few years ago, and like erasercrumbs said, if makes me even more determined and excited to have a successful marriage of my own.

Mine got divorced when I was around 2 years old...My daddy still tries to convince my mom to marry him again every chance he gets...she always turns him down... <_<

My parents never married or were engaged :/ But my dad's been engaged to two other women, one that hes been with now for seven years, and my mum has now been married to my stepdad for five years. My grandparents also married and divorced then my gran remarried my stepgrandad...Yeah, i have a very complicated family.

I dont look up to anyone in my family in terms of wtm, and came up with the decision myself, i actually look at the failed relationships in my family and it makes me determined to have a successful marriage and bring up my children in a secure, happy environment. Because if i could live my life again, thats what i would have liked to be different :/

mine are still married... 23 years I think... Miillie I had a step grandad too! But I always called him grandad as my grandad died before I was born so I never got to know him but according to my mum I'm just like him (my grandad i never knew) because I'm really outdoorsy like he was so it must run in the family :D

my actual parents divorced when i was to young to remember it, all-tho i always had my real dad in my life my mum got remarried and my stepfather became a father to me, he was a good dad, but they had troubles near then end and there mirage fell apart so, so to speak that's when my parents broke up, because he was a parent to me, (btw i still do see my birth father and have a good relationship with him too) since my parents broke up, i have not seen much of my step father but i still respect him as a father figure in my life, my mum not dates around a bit now,(i do not approve, but this is her chose, and sex has never been a huge deal to her anyway, she would say i is purely fiscal)

My parents never married or were engaged :/ But my dad's been engaged to two other women, one that hes been with now for seven years, and my mum has now been married to my stepdad for five years. My grandparents also married and divorced then my gran remarried my stepgrandad...Yeah, i have a very complicated family.

I dont look up to anyone in my family in terms of wtm, and came up with the decision myself, i actually look at the failed relationships in my family and it makes me determined to have a successful marriage and bring up my children in a secure, happy environment. Because if i could live my life again, thats what i would have liked to be different :/

i completely, agree with you, all i would have wanted is a normal family and a normal life, although i do love the people in my life that wouldn't be there if i did have a normal family, it still what i would want, but life gives you lemons, make lemonade, life does't always give you what you want :( but i can give my children what i wanted

Mine are still married, 40 years now. The are not over the moon but I guess living a routine life (sucks), in the african setting divorce is almost taboo, takes years for courts to grant one and many people endure bad marriages. nothing about them inspires me to get married, infact, sometimes I think this marriage thing is just pathetic. But then you meet someone and he's your daily dose of hope and laughter. You get tired of saying good bye everyday and you want to wake up next to each other everyday..........mind gets cloudy and you forget the negatives..... hoping they never happen to you!

<_< <_< <_<

My parents are still married! Just celebrated their 28th anniversary back in June :)

2 people like this