Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AliceInRavenclaw

Halloo!

5 posts in this topic

Hey all!

I'm Alice, 23/F. I found this site today and I can't tell you how much it means to me to've found something like this! I found it after doing what lonely people do in this day and age, which is Googling things about which we can't talk to anyone in real life, and I think it was something like: "Are any guys willing to wait until marriage?" Can I just say how much I love the Internet sometimes, for bringing together people who think they're alone in how they feel? I love it.

In college, I didn't always stay true to myself, and there were some things I didn't wait for, that I let myself get pressured into and talked myself into wanting. But it never led to any good consequences, and I consider myself very lucky to have gotten out of college with my V-card. I'm very "liberal" (I hate that term) and can be a bit on the nutty side, so it surprises people when I am so "conservative" on this issue. But I am a hopeless romantic, a major idealist, and also I have some trust issues, so I am happy to wait.

Despite dating quite a bit, I have never had what I would call a relationship, nothing that lasted long enough to be one in my mind (which makes the things I didn't wait for that much worse :( ) so sometimes I wonder if I will change my mind and want to give it up once I am in a long-term one. This site helped me do a lot of thinking though, and it reinforced the thought that's always been in the back of my head, which is that I very much want to commit to waiting! I've put the things I regret behind me and I just focus on being better in the future.

Beyond all that... I just finished getting my Bachelor's in theatre and I am moving in a few weeks to pursue an acting/directing career in theatre and film. I completely adore Harry Potter (bit of a fanatic...)! And also reading other things, writing (might like to contribute an article someday!), food, music, going new places, generally being a nerd...! I'm vegetarian (my other V-card, hahaha). Non-religious but sometimes spiritual. Aaaand I'm so happy to be here and to meet you all!

Welcome!

I"m 21 and going into my senior year in college---so I totally understand where you're coming from as far as dating, but not really having a relationship =( I am pretty religious and so I guess I'm kinda looking for a guy who is similar to me in that/morals/values like WTM! =)

Since you mentioned being sooo into HP, have you gotten into Pottermore?? I know a few friends who have, but I'm not sure if I will or not =P

I have gotten into Pottermore! Well, I haven't gotten my letter yet, either, but I did get on in the 7 days. I was at a Harry Potter convention when the film was released, actually, and we got a special early release which was so cool! I haven't gotten to see it more than once, but I am going to try to go again this weekend!

It's cool that you are moving on from your past. You're a role model for me! Really, you are. Although it's not the same situation, I'm trying to move on from things that happened to me when I was a little girl. The worst didn't happen, but some bad things did. For years, I thought I was the guilty one, but now I know I'm not. It's nice being free of that kind of prison. It's also nice being able to look forward to the future! At this stage in my life, I feel like I can finally breathe fresh air and it tastes awesome!

A role model? Aw, shucks! *blush* B) Thanks, that's really nice to hear. I'm sad to hear that you've been through that kind of stuff, I think that is just horrid. But I'm so glad you feel like you're in a good place now! You know, I say all you can ever do is learn from your experiences, good and bad. I read once that everything you go through, you should try to grow from, and when bad things happen, the sorrow just carves out more space within you to fill with joy in the future. I don't know if that helps, but I always like to think of that when I feel down.

I'm Catholic myself, but definitely have no problems with people of differing faith.

That's awesome, I was actually raised in the Catholic church. Confirmed and all. I don't follow it now (still have plenty of Catholic guilt, though!), so I hadn't thought of this in awhile, but today I remembered that the patron saint I chose to be "named after" for Confirmation was St. Maria Goretti, the patron saint of chastity. She was 11 (or 12, depending on the account) and her neighbor tried to get her to give up her virtue to him, and when she wouldn't commit the sin he stabbed her to death... :( I remember choosing her because I always felt that my own purity was so important. I'm wearing white to my wedding, darn it!! :D

Hey ThatGuy, thanks! I guess I fell off the face of the world [wide web] for awhile or something, I haven't been here in ages. I think you're right about that "other stuff." It seems like one of those things that snowballs, you know. The more you do the more you want to do. It's like that Rilo Kiley song: "Talking leads to touching, touching leads to sex... and then there is no mystery left." It takes a lot, and I'm not trying to toot my own horn, of self-control to refrain from going further. Which is part of the reason why I decided to change directions and avoid that "other stuff" now too. But anyway, I'm just rambling.

What kinds of screenplays do you write/have you written?

Welcome, welcome. Happy you're here! I haven't been here long myself, but it's swiftly becoming one of my favorite websites.

You seem like an intelligent, interesting gentleman, I'm glad you found your way into our ranks. It makes me so very happy to come to this site and find guys around my age that are waiting, because as a 23 year old gal I don't seem to find very many in real life.

Hey Alice!

Thanks a bunch for such a warm welcome! It is really nice to meet you too. :) Well Alice I too find myself really attached to this site & it is like my ‘second family’, as I choose to call it! I am really glad that this site actually makes us believe that amidst all the losers around us, we are not alone. I just can’t explain how much I cherish this site! :D

I really appreciate your determination to refrain from the so called ‘stuff’s, in spite of the trivial slips in the initial phase of your life. I do agree that it really takes a ‘lot’ more to overcome the temptations when someone actually starts getting tangled in the mesh of lust. But you DID it… hats off to your strength of character Alice (& believe me, you DESERVE to toot your own horn :lol::P )! Seeing people like you from across the continents, nurturing the same values, strengthens my resolve too. :)

I really look forward to reading more of your posts which happen to be both informative & interesting at the same time! Keep up the good job Alice! See ya… :)