Sophie

How many languages do you speak?

51 posts in this topic

Lithuanian was my first language.  I wasn't born in Lithuania but my maternal grandmother never learned english after emigrating so I had to speak it with her. She died 6 years ago and since my parents are both Canadian born as well, we usually speak english.  Therefore, it's getting rusty so I make sure to keep in regular contact with native speakers...

I learned English when I was about 4-5 and from my perspective, it just happened overnight!!!! It's now my most natural language.  Since I'm fluent, I try my best to speak/write it as good as possible ;)

I learned German in university. This is probably my favourite language to speak.  A lot of people think it sounds ugly but I think it sounds cute  :wub:  Still working on becoming totally fluent....

I also learned Russian while in university.  Even though they're not mutually intelligible, Lithuanian and Russian have a very similar system of grammar so I was already a familiar with a lot of the "quirky" traits of the language when I first learned it, which made things easier  B) Still not totally fluent though.

French.  I really see it as necessary to learn because it's Canada's co-official language.  Even though I do know the construction of the language pretty well, I don't practice that much so I don't IMPROVE  :disapproval: I need to fix this ASAP!!!

There's actually a lot of languages I still want to learn.  In particular Arabic, Finnish, Japanese, Greek, Turkish and Afrikaans (@Francois  ;) ) but I'm gonna stick with perfecting the above 4 before attempting those....

6 people like this

I think German is a very pretty language! I don't know why it gets so much hate. I also think Russian and Japanese are really beautiful. However, I'm totally useless with languages. =/ 5 years of French and I was never really able to get it. I know a little bit of ASL as I had a deaf teacher in high school, and some random Japanese phrases. And, obviously, English, the one language I'm fluent in and actually quite good at!

4 people like this

I'm fluent in three - English, French and German - and there's a couple more that I can understand a bit.

English was my first language, and I had to learn French when I moved to Switzerland at the age of four. I'm no more fluent in one language than the other - depending on circumstances (such as moving to England, or reading more books in French than English) my vocabulary in one grows while in the other it stays the same, but it's easily rectifiable. I'm probably as bilingual as you can get.

I'm also fluent in German, but not to the same extent. I started learning it at school at the age of eight, and for four years (from 14-18) I was in a bilingual study option which enabled me to have half my classes in French, and the other half in German. I'm easily able to write an essay or discuss philosophy in German, but it would still take up more mental energy than if I did it in English or French.

I'm also quite good at Swedish. I've been learning it on my own for the past eight or nine years, but I have long periods during which I don't study it at all, so it's been going slowly. I can read fluently, and write pretty well, but my accent is terrible (due to not having anyone to practise it on). Though I was still good enough to make my way across southern Sweden speaking only Swedish last year :)

I know a bit of Icelandic and Spanish, and a bit of Greek thanks to having studied Ancient Greek for four years. I want to get better at those three, as well as learn Finnish and Maori. I love languages! :D

7 people like this

I know a little bit of ASL as I had a deaf teacher in high school,

Cool, it's nice to know that some of you actually know some ASL. I think I am falling in love with this WTM community. :-) I haven't been in school for two years. This Fall, I decided to go back and study Education in Masters to teach for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and teach ASL & Deaf Culture as well.

1 person likes this

I'm fluent in three - English, French and German - and there's a couple more that I can understand a bit.

Wow, I'm so jealous! Is there any secret to being able to learn so many languages, or do you think learning a second language as a child helped make it easier for you in adulthood? I really wish I had been able to get better at French, but I had to drop it in my second year of college or risk dragging my GPA down dangerously low.  :(

Cool, it's nice to know that some of you actually know some ASL. I think I am falling in love with this WTM community. :-) I haven't been in school for two years. This Fall, I decided to go back and study Education in Masters to teach for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and teach ASL & Deaf Culture as well.

That sounds like a great idea! I took that particular teacher for an art class, but he also taught ASL as a second language. My boyfriend took ASL with him all four years, has since continued to study ASL in college, and now plans to become fluent so that he can provide therapeutic services to Deaf clients! I sometimes wish I had taken ASL in high school as well -- it is so fun and expressive.  :D

Wow, I'm so jealous! Is there any secret to being able to learn so many languages, or do you think learning a second language as a child helped make it easier for you in adulthood? I really wish I had been able to get better at French, but I had to drop it in my second year of college or risk dragging my GPA down dangerously low.  :(

I think it's a combination of several factors. Yes, learning a second language as a young child really helped - since the morphology of French and English are quite different, it helped me expand my understanding of language and how it works, which is a useful key. Being good at languages also runs in my family. My mother is fluent in the same three as me, and my father and sister are both French/English bilingual and quite good at German. Another factor is that the languages I know have a lot of similar features, that definitely helps. And then there's the fact that I *love* learning languages, and when you do something you enjoy, it's always easier :)

There seems to be a lot of French-speaking members on this forum. Maybe you could have a chat with some of us one day and we'll help you improve your French language skills ;)

2 people like this

I've been studying German for about seven years, on my own. I speak it fairly well. I know two Austrian women in my area that I meet with practically every week for a few hours in order to speak German. For almost four years, I visited a very elderly German man in a nursing home every Sunday afternoon in order to practice my German. (He died about a year ago, just a month short of his 104th birthday. His wife died just a few months prior at 102.)

1 person likes this

I'm learning ASL and I learned some Spanish but I fell off a bit.

Only two at any decent level, but I have at least a very rudimentary grasp of a few others. 

English is my native language, and the only one that I'm completely fluent in. My German isn't bad, though, but I'll admit my speaking ability isn't quite up to my listening and reading/writing ability. 

My Spanish is awful, but I can read well enough to get by, and if I have access to a dictionary to double-check my vocabulary, my writing isn't bad. I struggle with listening to most native speakers just because the pace is usually too quick for me to process, but I can understand well enough when it's spoken at a slower pace. Speaking-wise, I have a terrible accent and still could use a dictionary for the added vocab, but it could be worse.

I can understand Dutch almost as well as I can understand German, but I cannot reproduce it in speaking or in writing. I've never actually studied Dutch, though; I think I just picked it up a bit because of my knowledge of German and English.

And I'm starting to learn Russian now, which is something I've wanted to do for a while now. At the moment I'm only in the very early stages of learning it; I've got the alphabet down and I know a few quick phrases, and that's about it.  :lol: I'll be working on that this summer, though!

1 person likes this

Well... Je parle français, good English, un poco de Castellano und ein bisschen Deutsch. :) That makes four, I think.

I'm studying Latin, ancient Greek and Hebrew for the beauty and poetry of these languages.

Learning a language is something fantastic : each time it happens, it's like having your usual color palette, like a painter, and finding that there exist a complete different set of colors that you can use. And... well, I found language beautiful for itself. :wub:

I love poetry for that reason, whether it's writing or reading some. The shape, the sounds, the magic of words... Especially in different language. I picture words like small ballet dancers on a soft white page, that slowly circle, spin, and ultimately blend together in a wonderful great picture. Like a piece of a soul where you can see clouds...

... I guess I get carried away. ^^'

Thanks for such a topic, though. It's amazing to see how rich some speakers are here! I wish to learn one Arabic and one Slavic language soon.

Fluent: English and Spanish
Conversational: Portuguese and Norwegian
Can read/write: German
Can read only: Italian, French, Swedish, Danish, Old Norse

I've forgotten almost all of the Latin I learned, and I'm really rusty at pretty much everything except English and Spanish due to lack of use.

2 people like this

English is my main language.
I'm learning Japanese. And picking up a bit of French on the side.
I can mess around with Jamaican patois but honestly I can't remember all of it. I think the accent itself is enough to convince most British Jamaicans lol.

これをよむことができるなら、おれにはなしてください!ありがとうございます~~ (I hope I wrote that right lol)

Parle français avec moi! J'attends votre réponse, mais... Je ne suis pas très bon. xD
1 person likes this

I can speak English and Spanish fluently. I can also speak conversational Russian and know a little Indonesian. I would eventually like to be fluent in all as well as Cantonese, German, and Swedish. 

If I can use google translate, a lot, if not, then just one

1 person likes this

I can speak Pashto(My Mother tongue), Urdu(My National Language), English(Educational Language), Hindko(Local language of my city).

I can read and Understand Arabic.(My Religious Language) and Persian(Cultural Importance).

I can Understand Punjabi and Hindi

1 person likes this

On 2/24/2017 at 3:27 PM, Jorge said:

Swedish. 

Ive been to Sweden and my mom is actually Swedish and let me tell you, the language is immensely difficult to learn! I have also been to Iceland and their language is similar to Swedish and many of the locals, literally have a difficult time being fluent in their own language lol I remember asking a few Icelandic locals how to pronounce a certain street name, and all of them said we dont know for sure, it's to difficult to say...they actually preferred speaking in English.

best of luck

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, StarGate SG1 said:

Ive been to Sweden and my mom is actually Swedish and let me tell you, the language is immensely difficult to learn! I have also been to Iceland and their language is similar to Swedish and many of the locals, literally have a difficult time being fluent in their own language lol I remember asking a few Icelandic locals how to pronounce a certain street name, and all of them said we dont know for sure, it's to difficult to say...they actually preferred speaking in English.

best of luck

Thanks. Everyone said Russian would be a difficult language to learn but I caught on really quick. Spanish was relatively easy too. My professor always thought I should've been a translator because I pick up on pronunciations really quickly. Too bad I had other plans for life. :)

28 minutes ago, Jorge said:

My professor always thought I should've been a translator

Sounds like you have a true talent for linguistics! that takes a special brain lol and you can make a great living as a translator. 

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, StarGate SG1 said:

Sounds like you have a true talent for linguistics! that takes a special brain lol and you can make a great living as a translator. 

You might say he's a cunning linguist ;)

1 person likes this

Just now, Daz said:

You might say he's a cunning linguist ;)

Funniest thing I have heard all week....how you thought of that, I don't know but that's hilarious

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, StarGate SG1 said:

Funniest thing I have heard all week....how you thought of that, I don't know but that's hilarious

I know right! Wasn't me, stole it from Austin Powers: "You might be a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater."

4 people like this

I have a passion for languages and cultures! 

I'm fluent in French and English and quite advanced in German and Spanish. Also a beginner in Russian and sign